Paying bills in Panama

Hello everyone,

What bills do you pay? If you are renting, are bills included in the price of rent, and is this common practice in Panama?

How can you pay your bills (e.g. online, at provider's store, at the post office)? Which is the most convenient or reliable way?

With what frequency are different bills sent in Panama? Are there different deadlines for payment?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

We rent, which includes trash and water. The agent comes by every month, picks up the cash and deposits it in the landlords bank account. Electric, we go to the supermarket where there is an office to pay all the usual bills. Cable and Internet plan on the phones are charged to credit card monthly. Supermarkets and larger stores, also hospital and doctors offices usually accept credit cards, though many here use cash for everything. Electric and water/trash bills are hand carried and stuck in your gate. Otherwise it's your responsibility to remember to pay bills when due. There is no home delivery of mail or bills, though I see more and more companies on line with ways to check your account and pay bills.  We have found it easier to maintain a US address and bank accounts, and it's easy to pay our credit cards on line.

Now that was interesting, thanks. David

Kristc99 summed up nicely. The only problem I have because we are here for 3 months/ year is the electric bill. I have to estimate last month's payment plus extra and pay in advance. No way you can pay if you are out of country. If you can open a local bank account you can make recurring payments.

We get our Movil, (cell phone) and Cable Onda, (internet) Fenosa (Electric) all online and bill pay through our local bank which is Banco General.
Water, the trash we pay once a year in January. It is very easy to pay your bills online once you have a local bank.