Paying bills in New Zealand

Hello everyone,

What bills do you pay? If you are renting, are bills included in the price of rent, and is this common practice in New Zealand?

How can you pay your bills (e.g. online, at provider's store, at the post office)? Which is the most convenient or reliable way?

With what frequency are different bills sent in New Zealand? Are there different deadlines for payment?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hi there,
I think you meant utilities like power, water, phone and internet, right? Normally water is included in your rent. Power, phone and internet are depending on the your tenancy agreement with the landlord.  If they are not included you would pay these directly to the services provider.  Most convenient ways these days are paying online by direct banking transfer, automatic payment or direct credit arranged with the service  providers. These bills are payable normally in monthly intervals. Some power companies also provide prepaid power packs to customers.

Kind regards,  Bill

Direct credit if they provide a bank account number; bill payment if you have a bank number and want to keep reference details same each time (ie you just change amount each payment) and with bigger suppliers you won't need bank account number as your bank will let you search ; by telephone if you're happy to provide your credit card details (and most people are despite your current concerns) ; debit order to bank account or credit card - set up telephonically or by completing a form. Some accounts can be paid at nominated banks or post shops. Very first world.

All monthly bills are paid by direct debit. All occasional bills are paid by bank transfer.

I am retired military so I am able to use USAA banking. My retirement check, and my Social Security, along with other retirement funds are all deposited there.  USAA refunds my ATM fees, so I opened an ANZ account here.  I use the ATM to draw funds from USAA and then deposit the cash into my ANZ account.  I then use online transfers or direct debit for online purchases.