Disease in Puerto Rico

Just read a report of an outbreak of leptospirosis has claimed four lives.   Typically associated with drinking or exposure to contaminated water.   This health hazard may grow rapidly if unchecked.

also YouTube has a video.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/th … 16f43dfceb:sick

I've been following, and I'm confused. There was a report that AAA 64% has potable water. Then I see boil order, then I see infected people drank from a stream
Is tap water safe?

Based on what my friends in Hatillo have told me, no.   The water that is available is non potable.   Some water from "Oasis" trucks in town.   

Only bottled water (if available) is drinkable.   Boiling required of all other water.   

Also, reports of frequent sighting of rats.  I called in the exterminator for my place.   Reports of no trash removal may be causing much of this problem.

AAA said if was potable. I would not trust it for at least 2 weeks after it starts to flow into your pipes. This would allow the system to flush out anything in the lines. For now boil.

When water came back it came out brown/yellow at first. I Drank the oasis water, without boiling. Whoops. Didn't give it to my kids though.

There's a reporter by the name of David Begnaud who's is doing an amazing job being in PR reporting and going to different towns and interviewing locals and the people who are supposed to get things done. Might wanna keep an eye out for that guy.

This is a worry :(  As Puerto Rico Struggles With Lack of Drinking Water, Residents Turn to Toxic Waste Sites

Yes I saw that, not sure people know what they are drinking

Justpeachyy wrote:

When water came back it came out brown/yellow at first. I Drank the oasis water, without boiling. Whoops. Didn't give it to my kids though.

There's a reporter by the name of David Begnaud who's is doing an amazing job being in PR reporting and going to different towns and interviewing locals and the people who are supposed to get things done. Might wanna keep an eye out for that guy.

Reporter for what outlet? Cable MSNBC reporters have been doing a good job keeping the various issues front and center. What part of SJ are you in that you apparently have power and water and ISP services? Just curious.

"Reporter for what outlet? Cable MSNBC reporters have been doing a good job keeping the various issues front and center. What part of SJ are you in that you apparently have power and water and ISP services? Just curious"

The guy is a CBS News correspondent. I was in Carolina until a week or so after Maria. We had ATT service through both hurricanes and we had the best signal phone/text/internet (hotspot too) until the telecommunications lines were tampered with.

Also found this about the water
https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailyn … -1.3561670

http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017 … rig-me.cnn

"Local authorities in Puerto Rico are distributing water from a federally designated hazardous-waste site, according to a report on Friday.

Workers from Autoridad de Acueductos y Alcantarillados, the Puerto Rican water utility, pumped water from a well at the Dorado Groundwater Contamination Site and passed it on to residents, CNN reported.

The area was polluted with industrial chemicals that “can have serious health impacts including damage to the liver and increasing the risk of cancer,” according to the EPA."

:mad: