Antibiotics without a script

Just moved to pr last month and my gf has became sick and needs antibiotic does anyone know if I can get a antbiotic over the counter at one of the smaller pharmacies or will she need to see a dr. First?

Go to a local pharmacy. Tell them exactly what you want. Pay cash.

With care.
Self diagnoses are very often wrong and misuse of antibiotics is causing serious issues.
Far better to go to a doctor.

You can even go to the local CDT if she is not insured. They may even give you the meds. You may hava a long waiting time but it's free.

I went to the farmacy for Antibiotics not long ago, a local one, and they didn't givebit to me anymore. They said it is not allowed and they will get in trouble!

Pharmacies in the island are regulated just like in the mainland.

I have to agree with Fred's comment.  It is irresponsible to obtain and use antibiotics without a diagnosis and prescription from a qualified licensed physician.

Yes. I agree. Proper medical diagnosis is very important.  Having said that, there have been times when some of my friends who were visiting me in Puerto Rico ran short of their Doctor-prescribed medications and needed it here, where they could not use the prescription issued in their home state.  They knew exactly what they needed.  They were able to get the necessary medication for their chronic condition by going to an independent pharmacy, described the medication exactly and were able to get the required number of doses to tide them over until they got home.  One time it was for a bipolar friend, one time it was for an insulin-dependent diabetic and in the last year  a friend needed  Aricept for her husband. My answer still stands.  It is possible to get the much-needed medication  without a prescription from an independently-owned pharmacy. It would have been more irresponsible to deny the person the medication.

frogrock wrote:

It would have been more irresponsible to deny the person the medication.

I respectfully disagree.  A pharmacist cannot ascertain a patient's complete medical history and does not have lab results or other clinical findings that supports dispensing prescription medicine.

Anybody can Google/Wiki up a condition or medication, learn about it and go walk into a place and ask for it.  Just because someone knows what to ask for, does not necessarily mean that it is medically indicated for them.  A responsible pharmacist would refer the person to a clinic.  If they dispense the medicine and the person reacts adversely or even dies, the pharmacist is liable to be found negligent.

And so it goes.

adlin20 wrote:

That's the quality post of the thread, and finishes the argument as they can't be got regardless of what people think is right and wrong.

Fred wrote:
adlin20 wrote:

That's the quality post of the thread, and finishes the argument as they can't be got regardless of what people think is right and wrong.

The other side of the medal is that this is Puerto Rico and you can get a lot more than you should be able to get. I'm sure it's the same in Indonesia. :)

Now, antibiotics are used by many when not needed (think f.i. cold/flu like symptoms - that's a virus infection and antibiotics only work against bacteria. Doctors give in to demanding patients wanting it for flue even though they (should) know that it doesn't work for a cold or flu)

The only right way is to go to a doctor or ER and get the meds prescribed that are right for the symptoms.

frogrock wrote:

My answer still stands.  It is possible to get the much-needed medication  without a prescription from an independently-owned pharmacy.

Yup, you're right there. BTDT.

I just walked into a pharmacy in Bayamon yesterday for an ear infection. No chance to see a Dr. or get a legit prescription the Wednesday before a holiday here. Walked out with a 10 day supply for $30.

Yup. That is the way it works here.  Welcome to Puerto Rico.

Thanks everyone for your input.im sorry the only thing I did not mention was my x wife is a dr. In the states and while in medical school a I studied with her and became fairly educated in meds and pharmocoligy is how I knew what meds where needed by the symptoms. Therefore not really needing a clinic or diagnosis to determine what meds where needed.

A fresh squeezed garlic clove will kill viruses, and so will ginger root made into a tea with raw honey.  Honey will also kill bad bacteria. Fresh lemon will kill bacteria. I have been using these for many years now. "Sugar" feeds diseases so I stopped using sugar years ago. I use honey as a sweetener, Stevia is also good. I am 67 and my last 3 check ups show me in great physical shape with no diseases.

This post is full of misinformation. You CAN get certain prescriptions here over the counter without a script at small pharmacies. If you have a toothache that has returned for example, and you already know that Amoxicillin is what you need, it is no one else's place to tell you that you should be making another trip to a dentist to be retold what you already know. People need to learn to just answer the question being asked and not try to dictate to others via their personal opinions.

It is 100% possible to get certain medications without a prescription at some of the smaller independently-owned pharmacies. Especially if they know you.

Not saying it's right or wrong. It just is.