Pregnancy in Puerto Rico

Hi,

could you please share advice and tips about pregnancy in Puerto Rico?

Who are the best gynecologists for pregnancy follow-ups?

Which hospitals or clinics would you recommend to give birth in Puerto Rico?

Thanks a lot for your advice :)

Christine

I just had a baby in Puerto Rico. It was an expereince. I had two great doctors. My gyno was Dr. Luis Rivera Cubano. He practices at Ashford Presbyterian Hospital in Condado. Since I was a high risk patient, I also saw Dr. Lynch, she was great as well. Not sure that she actually delivers babies. I loved my doctors. I can even recommend a great pediatrician in the San Juan area as well.

I would recommend Ashford hospital for delivery however don't expect it to be like anything in the States. The nurses are not helpful at all and you are basically left by yourself and they will only come if call them....several times.

I can answer any other specific questions that you have too.

Hi keriann75 and welcome to Expat.com!

Thanks for your contribution.;)

Harmonie.

keriann75 wrote:

I would recommend Ashford hospital for delivery however don't expect it to be like anything in the States. The nurses are not helpful at all and you are basically left by yourself and they will only come if call them....several times.

Yes, Ashford is the "best" hospital to have a baby at here on the island. We did our maternity nursing clinicals there and it was nice. I totally agree about the nurses though. In my two years of nursing school, those were the worst nurses EVER. They were so catty and just talked smack about the other nurses and patients behind their back. They were horrible and unprofessional.

Hi There,

My husband and I are going to be in PR for 6 months each year going forward and needing a good OBGYN doctor for check ups during my pregnancy and also a good Paediatrician. I'd appreciate any recommendations! Karli

Hello KarliMcQueen,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Congrats! Hope you are having a safe and happy pregnancy :)

Given that this thread hasn't had any new responses since 2012, I would advise you to try your luck by creating a new thread on the Puerto Rico forum.

Our members will gladly help you and provide information about health professionals in Puerto Rico who can assist you.

All the best,

Diksha
Team Expat.com

Hi Karli,

Did you end up making the move to Puerto Rico? Interested to see if you found a reputable Gyno and Pediatrician as my husband will be in the same boat! It's a little nerve racking as I love my doctor here.

Thanks!

Hi there,

Congratulations on your pregnancy!! :)

I am a homebirth midwife here on the west coast of Puerto Rico.  I pdo rovide full prenatal care, attend births and give postpartum care, do newborn exam, can fill out documents for birth cert. etc.
Tho many mothers also opt to have OB care, to get lab work and have a plan B.

If I can help you in any way, to navigate your pregnancy or provide you with some resources, feel free to email me directly or I can provide you my phone number...  There is a Pregnancy and Family center started by a sister midwife in Manati... it is called GROW center and they also may be able to give recommendations for OBs and or pediatricians.

Also, even if you plan on birthing in hospital or off island, I am happy to provide collaborative care with your OB Gyn if you want a more personalized experience and support in your pregnancy.

I hope this helps you in some ways.

Love and blessings