How can my mother live with me in Mauritius?

I recently got a student visa to study for a year in Mauritius. My mom is planning to come along, and i wanted to know what is the procedure for my mom to stay in the country with me. Is a tourist visa ok? or getting a job is necessary in order for her to reside in Mauritius.

Thank you in Advance
Amira

oh and i forgot to mention, she carries an Algerian passport

Your mum cant stay unfortunately you can not have dependents on a student visa ..she can get a tourist visa but thats only 6 months of the year .. if she finds her own job meeting all the requirements then she can get her own permit and stay ..

Thank you for the reply. So she can get a tourist visa and that could be extended up to 6 months yeah?

The tourist visa is for a maximum of 6 months (180 days) in a year.

The only method she can spend a whole year is that she comes in June - stays up to December. Then moves out at the end of December and come back in January.... stay from January to June. That makes in total June to June next year.

Else she applies for a Retired permit (should be over 50 of age and able to transfer in total USD30,000 to her account in Mauritius for her own expenses).

Got it, thank you :)

Yes tourist visa

Hi I just want to ask, what do I need to present to the immigration upon arrival in mauritius? I'm a Philippine passport holder and would like to stay there for just a week for a vacation. Please help.

Yeah 6 months visa

I got blocked so I need to participate ☹️

Myka Ann Centeno wrote:

Hi I just want to ask, what do I need to present to the immigration upon arrival in mauritius? I'm a Philippine passport holder and would like to stay there for just a week for a vacation. Please help.

You will have to show the immigration officer the following:

~ Your passport obviously
~ A return ticket
~ Hotel booking or letter of accommodation
~ A landing card given on the plane which you must fill in

Sometimes the officer might ask you for proof of funds, so bring in some cash and/or debit/credit card statement.

Thank you so much! Appreciate your help :)

Moderated by Christine 6 years ago
Reason : promoting freely your services is not allowed on the forum
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi MimiMauritius

Just a heads up that if your mum comes to Mauritius on a tourist visa, she will not be allowed to take up any form of employment in Mauritius. 
However, if she chooses to work and she gets a business visa and performs a business activity for more than 180 days in Mauritius, she will have to apply for a business registration card and also for a Professional Permit as a Self-Employed Individual (this carries a separate set of criteria and is subject to approval by a committee of the Board of Investments; so not automatically granted).

I'm interested in your suggestion of staying 6 months and leaving the country only to come back again for another 6 months almost straight away. I also thought this was an option only to be told that it was a maximum of 6 months out of any 12 month period. Consequently a continuous 6 month stay would then require a 6 months absence before returning.

BrianRiseam wrote:

I'm interested in your suggestion of staying 6 months and leaving the country only to come back again for another 6 months almost straight away. I also thought this was an option only to be told that it was a maximum of 6 months out of any 12 month period. Consequently a continuous 6 month stay would then require a 6 months absence before returning.

As explained in post #5 Nadeem it is feasible since the clock starts again on January Ist.

July - Dec : 6 months
Jan- June : 6 months
On Dec 30/31st you  take a couple of days visiting Reunion island and then come back in the fist week of January

Ok I see what you are saying. Presumably she would then have to be absent for 6mths before she could have yet another 6 months. You are probably right but I was informed it was not in a calendar year but any rolling 12 month period.

It's a bit tricky. Actually it's calendar year if you leave in December....else if continued stay over December to January, then it's 12 months period. If you apply the cut-off in December it starts from zero on 1st January

Hi
Like most said tourist visa BUT ..

You can apply for dependant for your mother , your embassy should provide you with the details as long she have enough fun's to support you and herself without recourse to public funds

Embassy should have the application and means of processing it ( can be costly though )

Best of luck

Briyan

Your reply is wrong. We cannot apply for dependant visa unless it is for spouse, common law partner and children. There isno dependency schemes for parents. Your reply may mislead the person.

Information on visa is obtained from Passport & Immigration office and is officially accessible through their website. It is better to ask the host country directly rather than going to embassy, and more so when the information is readily accessible.