Online shopping in Burundi

Hello everyone,

Shopping online can be far more convenient and offer greater choice than going into shops, be it grocery shopping or retail.

Are there options for online shopping in Burundi? Which sites or apps do you use most frequently and are these local or international?

Are there particular products that are cheaper to buy online or that are perhaps not available in Burundi?

What is the delivery process like — is it easy to receive deliveries and what are the costs of shipping? Are there any taxes to pay upon receipt?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Unfortunately, online shopping in Burundi is far from happening yet. There are limited online shops that cater to Burundi and if they do the shipping cost could be high. Just some months ago, I purchased online a personal item from the US to be shipped via DHL, but then DHL-US  said shipping is higher than normal because of security issues in Burundi.

Just last week, I bought an item online  from eBay-US, the seller returned my payment saying item has been returned for factory recall. True or not, I understand most likely when the seller came to know they will ship in Burundi, decided to retract not take the risk.

I received a document parcel from Aramex with my home address and phone on it. They called me to collect instead of delivering to my home.

I also received an EMS package from Addis Ababa to Bujumbura, it took over 21 days and the box is open and totally smashed up, containing used personal clothing.

I have yet to experience receiving items addressed at the postal box in Bujumbura. My Burundi colleagues warned me though that losing is highly probable especially if it is a small item without tracking receipt.

I hate to say this and I don't mean to undermine the system, but my experiences are not encouraging, to share others.

Thanks.