Moving to Nairobi

Hi,

I've been offered a job, with a financial services company, based in Nairobi's CBD.

A few questions:

1.  What are the best areas to live, within easy reach of the CBD?

2.  Can anyone recommend a decent letting agent?

3.  Generally, how safe is Nairobi as an expat living there?

4.  What's the general cost of living like?  Anything that's overly expensive?

Grateful for your responses.

Charles

Hi, Charles, Mzungus (white) usually choose Westlands but Kilimani, Hurlingham are ok too. How close is the next good commercial center should be your main concern. Traffic is bad here, I mean, really bad, so you should consult a Google Map. You can find great villas or apartments in NBO. Main agents online are demanding but provide quality at the market price (+-) mostly +, you can also do your own research and negotiate (olx is a good place to start).  All imported things (including food) are overly expensive so consider a minimum 30% of your daily expenditures on food and household things. Bring the rest with you or buy Chinese furniture (they do not last long). Basic food, house help and staff very cheap. Don't be stingy ;-)  NBO is safe honestly but carelessness will get you robbed :) All apartments or villas come with security staff. restaurants, nightlife, commercial centers will remind you of any international capital. Welcome!

Hi Charles.  I read your intro. I'm in  a somewhat similar situation. I'm in the states looking to Kenya, the Nairobi or Mombasa area, because my finance is located there. I don't have a job lined up but have been heavily searching. I have a degree in finance and a passport. Thought I would reach out. Do you know of any opportunities. Any assistance is appreciated. Thank you.

Regards

Hello Charles. First lemmi welcome u to Nairobi. The closest place to CBD to leave is Wetlands, ngong road, hurlinghum, parkland, lovington and many more, I can recommend a couple of real estate agents if u like. But it all depends on your  budget and preferences. Tell me your budget and preferences.

Hello there, Welcome!

great info for Charles, and yes, traffic is just a nightmare in Nairobi. However OLX is nowadays considered with loads of caution. Quite a number of scam cases have been reported so caution is needed. :-)

Most welcomed to Nairobi Charles,you can always get the best agents to take through and settle where you feel its best for you.