Stuff I should know about portugal

Hi  guys!

I have a geography project at school, and my topic is "Portugal". I have google`d and read a few books about the country, but I wonder if there are any nice people from Portugal who would like to tell me about their country.

Facts and statistics can be found everywhere,
and what I want is to "capture the soul" of Portugal.

Please help me!

It is sort of urgent:(

Love Ammouret Lebnen

(If you live in forexample a village or something in Portugal that most people do not know about, I would really appreciate it if you could tell me about it. All replies are appreciated.

Ammouret Lebnen

Hi Ammouret,

Welcome on the forum. :)

I hope members from Portugal will give you information about the country. Maybe you should post some questions as well. This may help you get more response.

Wish you good luck
Christine

Things I`d like to know about Portugal:

- What is Portugal famous for?
- Who is the president in Portugal?
- How do people who live in Portugal see their country? (Hard to tell wheater it is a good country or not, when the only places you visit are the ones you are ment to see.
- How is the education system in Portugal?
- Is there any poverty in Portugal?
- 5 places to go?
- National dish?
- How do you celebrate the independence day?
- What does Portugal teenagers do in their sparetime?

Love,

Ammouret Lebnen

- What is Portugal famous for: Navigators, Port Wine, Cork, Soccer Players, Fado

- Who is the president in Portugal: Anibal Cavaco Silva, keep in mind we are Parliamentary Republic

- How do people who live in Portugal see their country? With pride and love of a history and culture that is over 1,000 years old

- How is the education system in Portugal? We love engineers

- Is there any poverty in Portugal? Yes but there are many social safety nets to help those in poverty and where the government fails people and the church will pick up the slack

- 5 places to go? Lisboa, Evora, Sintra, Obidos, Faro

- National dish? Cod Fish is a main ingredient in many traditional dishes. National dessert Pastel de Nata

- How do you celebrate the independence day? Because of the age of the country this is a tough question. I would say look up Day of Camoes

- What does Portugal teenagers do in their sparetime? read, watch movies, play music, sail, swim, surf, soccer, volleyball if they live near the beach

Thank you for your quick reply Pork Chop 112.

If it is OK for you, I have a couple of other questions would you mind to answer me?

- Ammouret Lebnen

Hi,
Sorry I've just read this.

If you want to capture the soul of Portugal I wrote a post on Fado which can be viewed here
and a post on Bacalhau which can be viewed here

If you like I can hep with specific questions based on my own experiences...please just let me know.

Kind regards
PiP

Is there any poverty in Portugal?

Yes, we have witnessed poverty and there will be far more as the Cost of Living is rising rapidly; the recession bites deeper and people lose their jobs. An organisation, whose name escapes me, will often hand plastic food sacs to you as you go into the supermarket. You are asked to buy and  place food in them for the poor.

Last week an elderly Portuguese gentleman approached us at the local cafe for 10cents so he had enough to buy a coffee. He would not take any more than 10cents, he had pride. Because of this I also paid the "cafe" for his bica (coffee) for the next day as well, a tear welled up in his eye. There will be great poverty in Portugal soon as the money runs out; youngsters in small towns are unable to get jobs and people on the minimum wage will barely survive.
PiP

Hi!!

Just today I've read your post.
Do you stell need help with your project?
I'm portuguese and I'm more than glad to help you.

Bye,

Sonia