How to make friends in Portugal

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals and other expats) when you're living in Portugal :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Portugal??

Thanks in advance for your participation

I must say having children is very useful when it comes to making friends. We mothers always tend to gravitate towards each other, usually in an attempt to get information, support, friends for our own kids etc. But I guess this wont apply to a lot of people.

In my experience, attending the local Portuguese conversation class has been a really good way to get to know people - because of course we all talk about ourselves! And we meet on a regular basis, getting the chance to get to know each other in a 'neutral' setting.

When it comes to making friends with the Portuguese population, my stumbling attempts at conversation coupled with smiles and goodwill usually get a very sympathetic response - people may think I'm 'that mad Englishwoman', but they seem well-disposed towards me!

portuguese people its not sociable people most of the time, unless they want something from you...i think best way to chat with anybody in this country its to tell then how lovely their country is and how great their food and climate is, they love to ear this :) from foreigners.

hello good friend am daniel and also a drummer i want to be in your wonderful state becouse its so lovely to be i love portugal becouse of your foor and your enveroment and i want to be ther some timr this month

Hi  DANIno,

Welcome to expat-blog!

Telling us more about yourself may be  helpful :)

Regards,

David.

Put yourself in some activity outside home and just talk to people...and then join them going out!!
Portuguese people are really sociable, everyone knows that.

I like what you said about thinking outside the box when it comes to lonliness, but I have to disagree that it is always of our own making.  As for me, I have done everything I could think of to be accepted by the people where I live, sometimes to the point of embarassement or humiliation, so effort doesn't always work.  I once heard that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results.  The list would be long if I detailed all the efforts I have made to connect with people, but you are right. trash the box and look beyond the obvious.

Hola amigo o Amiga quetzal ousted purses set mi amigo o Amiga ?

Hi roselle feranil,

Can you please write in English in this English speaking forum so that everyone can understand?

Thank you

From my experience having lived here for sometime now,the best way to make friends here is to learn to speak the language. It is hard to relate when you can't. Portuguese people can be unfriendly or unhelpful whenever they realise you cannot relate with them in their language. Although there are a few of them who are ready to speak the language you understand,the majority don't like a meeting  between them and a non Portuguese speaker. This is because they often struggle with the conversation with a non native speaker of Portuguese. So ability to communicate in the language as long as one is to remain in Portugal is the best way to make friends in this peaceful and beautiful country.