Zico virus in San ramon

Hi. I'm moving to San Ramon in a couple of days!! I just found out I'm pregnant and am worried about Zica virus!! I am wondering if anyone knows anything about how big of a problem zica is in San Ramon? I will be taking every precaution. Wearing heavy mosquito repellent and a mosquito net. Just wondering if it is necessary? Or am I being too cautious?? Any information would be great. Thank you!!

Hi. I live in Palmares, near San Ramon. I  haven´t heard much about Zica being a big problem there; but in your case, better be prepared. I believe the government health offices can enlighten you better.

I haven't read of additional Zika cases, however San Ramon has some very humid areas, so you will need to be very careful....and August through October tend to be the rainiest months of the year. This year, so far, has been wetter than 'usual' making the moist conditions that mosquitoes love...

General health risks article

Haven't heard of any zika virus being contracted in or near San Ramon. You might check online (I have no idea how other than google) and ask on the facebook page for San Ramon.  I imagine pretty much everywhere in Costa Rica and most parts of the world there are mosquitoes unless you live in a big city with no Nature to speak of. But sure, some parts of the world may be worse than others in terms of Zika.
Here's the CDC page I found:
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/al … costa-rica
Personally I think the whole risk of Zika and other viruses thing is over-blown, but to each his own.
If I die of Zika I figure that is what was meant to be. I can't live my life based on fear of some relatively rare occurrence.

Hello
I agree with samromona about checking with the CDC.
They can tell you what you need to know about any of those questions that your worried about, for you and the baby.
The bug sprays and nets should work. Nets around the beds at night, can be made to look really cool, so no one thinks weird things about the beds.
Dealing with the days, I'd say try staying covered, but with lite weight clothes, as the temps do change as you move around the country, even from town to town or home to store. I just returned from 20 days there and experience it for myself. You will not need any heavy coats or cover ups. Hope you have a great adventure
And a happy healthy pregnancy, I'm sure you'll love CR, I did.
And meeting the expats that we did were amazing
Thanks guys

You should bring warm jackets as in many areas of the country, especially when the winds from Dec.-March are blowing and it can be quite cold.  In fact, many house have fireplaces or stoves to heat them as the temperature drops at night....and they are not solely for decor purposes.

Kohlerias, I agree re it getting "cold" in certain parts of Costa Rica. I have been at Monteverde, Belen and even part of San Ramon (higher than where I live now) where it was cold and I wished I had a heater at night! Seems crazy for a tropical country, but hey at higher altitudes it does get cold!