Information

Hi
My name is Paul, I'm from Cape Town. I have a Filipino girlfriend living and working in Bacolod City. I would like to relocate so I can be with her. This is all new to me as I have never been outside of South Africa before so I would really appreciate any advice and tips on where to start and how do I get from where I am now to where my girlfriend is. I would also like to know what exchange rate of the peso to the rand is.
Thank you
Guys

Hi Paul,

Mate you seem to be asking for everything from this site, and it pretty well can give you everything you just need to search the blog's.

But before you do that as you don't even know the exchange rate between PHP and Rand, I would suggest that you JAG it (Just ask Google)

Having said that mate, please do a couple of trips to the Philippines first, as you are asking for the exchange rate it appears that you may have never left Cape Town to travel overseas, so your knowledge of the world is still very limited.

Come to the Philippines first, organise the trip your self not through and agent and for information on exchange rates, flights, accommodation and visa's JAG it.   Because when you come here to live there is no travel agent to tell you how to live.

Please do take this as a informative comment, it is meant to help you learn.

Hi Friend
Thank you so much for the feedback.
I really do appreciate it.

Hi Paul, 

I keep a daily check on conversion rates by accessing XE.COM.  I'm sure there are many more sites providing similar services. 

That's good advice from Pej.  Travel to PI first must be a priority for you.  I have made nine trips to PI so far, and I'm still learning.  Put in the effort, and do your homework, and when you leave, make sure that you still have your wallet and your heart with you. 

Cheers, 

Paul.

Hi
Thank you so much for the tips friend.

big dude 2 wrote:

Hi Paul, 

I keep a daily check on conversion rates by accessing XE.COM.  I'm sure there are many more sites providing similar services. 

That's good advice from Pej.  Travel to PI first must be a priority for you.  I have made nine trips to PI so far, and I'm still learning.  Put in the effort, and do your homework, and when you leave, make sure that you still have your wallet and your heart with you. 

Cheers, 

Paul.

Good advice. Many if not most of us come here with a very open mind and far too trusting. Many gold diggers around but there also are many good gals. Just takes time and perhaps learning the hard way once. Before making a move it is most advisable that you make a few trips here before doing so. First to help determine if you can actually live in a 3rd world country where everything is so different, And second, to make doubly sure the gal you have is the one you "think" she is.
Above all else, leave yourself a financial way out should it ever become necessary.

Hi
Thank you for that heads up friend.

Bacolod is south of Manila. It's in Visayas region, while Manila is Luzon (the biggest chunk of islands)  It's another one hour plane ride from MNL/RPLL Airport.

I'm born and raised here in Manila and it wasn't until early this year that I got to travel domestically via air.

Bacolod for me has a more laid back style than Manila, cleaner, but not boring. I've met expats during my travel there and they moved from Manila to Bacolod because of cost of living (half or even 1/3 of the cost of Manila)

I would suggest try to meet your girlfriend here in Manila first.

Hi thank you for the feedback friend.

I think you should go to Bacolod City.  You can get there fairly easy from Cebu, as they have a decent international airport that you can fly directly into.  Depending on how much time you have, you could have your GF meet you in Cebu, then travel to Bacolod, or make the trek by yourself, as it is on Negros, the neighboring island.  It will be much easier on you and her, if you meet in Bacolod (or Cebu).  Stay away from Manilla if possible.  There are decent places to stay and eat in Bacolod and you will have a chance to see where she lives and learn more about her. 

My first trip to the PH, I met my future bride in Cebu.  We stayed in the city for a about a week, then went to where she lives in the province.  I had a chance to meet her family and see how she was in HER own environment.  I feel this is important rather than "going on vacation" with her the whole time.