Expats on Leyte

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum. Our family moved to the Philippines in 2015. Currently, we are living in Ormoc City, Leyte. My wife's hometown. Just wanted to see if there were any other expats near this area?

Hey Goingabroad, Hello neighbor. My wife and I live in the Mejia subdivison and would love to meet your family. There are a large number of expats here. Go to the Dunkin Donuts across from Jollibees downtown every morning between 10 and 1 pm and you are bound to meet some.
Don

Welcome to the forum, Sir. I think there are expats in that area as there are members here from there.

Thanks. I was already able to make contact with one person in the area.

helloo frmbert i live at near sogod so leyte

Hello Don
I may come to Ormoc in the next month or two. Are you still near that City?
Regards
David

Hello
Are you still in Ormoc? As am looking to come there from South Africa on the next month or two.
Regards
David

Yes, we still live in Ormoc and would be glad to meet you any time.

Don

Don,thanks for your reply.
I will send you a PM

Be living there in February and March. There was about half dozen of us that got together in Baybay last time I was there.Watch for me around Baybay, Ormoc and Mahaplag regions!

Hello
Thanks for reply. From which country are you and where are you based in Leyte? As I may return for awhile in next month or two

Leaving north Idaho now where US Home is and will be based in Mahaplag.

i am a aussie i live near  sogod so leyte dagsa province only foreigner here, very quite and clean i like the rural atmosphere

Im in Cape Town,South Africa and looking to visit Baybay soon. Are you near there and where in Australia you from?

Is that near Baybay at all?

Hi Guys,

We live in Puerto Galera, Mindoro but have a house and some animals in Albuera. We should be coming over in the near future, my 1st time there, my wife is from Albuera. Would be nice to touch base with some fellow expats.

Hi and hello.

My name is Don Davis and I live right next to Albuera in Ormoc. There are a bunch of expats around here and I would like to invite you to have coffee with us. We often meet at around 11 am at the Dunkin Donut downtown across from Jollibees. My wife's family is from Talisayon, so we go to Albuera all the time. Things in Albuera are a bit tense following the murder of the ex-mayor and arrest of his son on drug charges. Plus there was a double bombing in Bato a couple of months ago which led to soldiers being stationed all over town.

I hope to see you soon

Don
xxx

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Thanks,I have seen quite a few  here,but just in passing

Hi Goingabroad,
We (my wife and me) just arrived in Baybay City, I am going to work at Visayas State University. We are from Germany and at the moment we are searching for a house or flat to rent, preferably at the coast or beach :)
If you know a good real estate broker at the region or if you heard about a house ... to rent, I would be happy if you let me know.
Greetings, Martin

goingabroad wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum. Our family moved to the Philippines in 2015. Currently, we are living in Ormoc City, Leyte. My wife's hometown. Just wanted to see if there were any other expats near this area?

Hi, I am Christoph, German, nice to see you here , I am living in Albuera/Ormoc almost 20 Years , if you like to get in touch, just drop a line ***

Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : do not post your personal contact details on the forum please, thank you

@ ChristophSchhwab123,

Welcome to Expat.com:)

Just to inform you that this thread is inactive.
As you are a new member, i would advise you to create a new thread on the Philippines forum or to participate to other active threads here : Networking Philippines.

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

I know this is old, but I have a GF in Ormoc, and spent 8 weeks island hopping and meeting her family.  I plan to return in August or September for an extended stay.  I noticed how smog seems to hang in Ormoc Bay, due to being on the back side of the mountains.  Is the air any better to the south of Ormoc?

I live in Ormoc and I never notice any smog at all. Clouds or blue sky. That's all. Maybe I missed it?

My wife is from Naga City but we were planning to retire in Ormoc. I heard the typhoons were very dangerous there. Is there a certain place in the city that is considered safer from any floods or damage or does it really not matter?  Just wondering because I am from Florida originally and lived in an area that was the safest from hurricanes but wasn't sure about the Ormoc area.  Thanks!

Mike and Penny

@goingabroad
Hi are you still in leyte as I am dating a girl from there she is working in Cebu but her family is in Leyte and if it works out them she may want to live in Leyte and that is something we will have a talk about and i would be ok with that but would like to be able to meat up with westerns fore a chat

@Frank Lyszkiewicz Hi Frank, I just arrived in Baybay, Leyte May 20th this year. My girls family also lives here and is the main reason I'm living here. What part of Leyte are you possibly moving to?

@Frank Lyszkiewicz

worst mistake you can make is to live anywhere near your girl's patents!
@The Cold War Kid
Word!  Parents or relatives... Don't do it.  Unless you want to support the whole tribe... which is what will be "expected" of you being the "rich" foreigner.

@Frank Lyszkiewicz Hi Frank, I just arrived in Baybay, Leyte May 20th this year. My girls family also lives here and is the main reason I'm living here. What part of Leyte are you possibly moving to?

- @robertstrauss018

It will be the main reason why your relationship  ends.
Don't forget the Philippines is a buyer's market. You decide where you want to live . Remember that's why you divorced your ex  Stateside so you could be in charge of your life again.
Thank you for your concern and relationship advice . I think you made a lot of assumptions here gentlemen. First, I've never been married. Secondly, I work from home on my laptop so I get to live wherever I choose which puts me much more in charge of my life. Thirdly, I'm not sure how to respond to the Philippines is a buyers market, except to say my soon to be wife's mother and grandmother grew up with the owner of our house and we pay $180 a month and it's fully furnished with large screen TV's to armoires, dining room table that seats six, antiques and crystal spread throughout the house....we got a great deal I believe. Just got my final monthly bill today, electricity and it was 5100 pesos or $92 on todays rate which makes my total monthly expenses including cakes for birthdays, toys for three year old and transportation for a grand total of 42,000 pesos or $756 a month. Your right about the large family here but I knew that going in gentlemen. Philippines are a lot like Mexico and...large Catholic families. Not sure how it is in the city but the Province there seems to be a great deal of pride. I've been asked nothing from anyone. My extended family is grateful when I buy a 320 peso birthday cake($6). Yes, I've factored in $6 times 25= $150 for birthday cakes into my $756 budget. I really don't see any downside thus far living in this beautiful city of Baybay....not the five minute walk to the beach, surrounded by 100's of coconut trees and many islands.  If you do get a chance to visit Baybay, I strongly recommend a new tourist attraction called The Sea of Clouds. (check YouTube)
I work from home on my laptop so I get to live wherever I choose which puts me much more in charge of my life.
- @robertstrauss018
You need to have a work permit anyway (except if you have a visa type allowing you to work without).
Its an other question if officials will notice or bother if you are without, but if they do you can get in big trouble if being without.

((I have worked from home almost all since 1978, so long before it became common.))

@dondee31, i know your message is old now. Is the meeting of expads until now in "dunkin donuts". I am here in Ormoc since July, building house in Domonar. Would be nice sometimes to meet people like i met whole last year in Southern Leyte, Maasin.

Regards Gerd

@Gerd Domonar bert here helloo ilve in southern leyte near sogod i have not been to massin  over 3 years

@Gerd Domonar I was there in July until September. Love Ormoc. Returned home to sell things and hopefully return soon!

@Bert46, don't worry, you don't miss many things in Maasin, haha. I am happy to be now here in Ormoc. Friendly people, almost everything to get.

@prs948, would be nice to meet you whan you are back.

@Wellsfry So true

@hello so where are you now ??

Are you her in ormoc now ?

Are you her living in ormoc now ?