What are the dos and don'ts of finding a job in Croatia?

Hello everyone,

Where is the best place to start when looking for a job in Croatia? Is it better to job-hunt by directly contacting the company of your interest, or should job-seekers rely on a recruitment agency, for example?

Are there any unique aspects that job-seekers should consider when preparing their CV/résumé and cover letter? Should a photo be included?

Do you have any tips on interview conduct in Croatia? Are there any particulars, such as greetings or behavioural customs?

In you opinion, is knowledge of the local language or a regional language necessary to successfully apply for a job? What level of the language should job-seekers have mastered?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hi Priscilla!

I have plan to apply for some job here in Croatia but I know for a foreigner like us, it is difficult specially if we didn't know and understand the language which is I think the most important to learn if we are hunting for a job.

I live here in Zagreb for almost two years now and imagine the life without a job and getting salary monthly like I used to have before marrying my Croatian husband, for me it's totally boring and I feel like useless.

Back then when I was in the Philippines, I am a career woman. I have a good job as News Correspondent for TV and Radio and now being a housewife here is really a big change in my life. I miss my job.

Now I am hoping that in the future, I will get a job here. Tips about a CV and interview will be a good help. ☺️

For me, it hasn't been a problem.

In 2006, right after my daughter was born, I found a job in the local supermarket.  Although I have an advanced degree from the US, it was an easy job and it enabled me to learn better Croatian.

After that, I had my degree nostrified (basically, it was recognized here in Croatia) and I went to tour guide school. Again, no problem finding work.

Then, as my translation business began picking up steam, I opened my own  business - a j.d.o.o., which cost around 800 kunas at the time but I now have legal income, pay some taxes and get health insurance - it was a good idea.  That was in 2013, and I will soon update my status to a formal d.o.o. (corporation ).

Best Regards to all,
Anastasia

Here is a link to my blog
amerikankaincroatia.com/

Hello!

I have not been applying for jobs because I work remotely but my husband has and based on his experience, I think it should not be a problem to apply directly to the company you are interested in.

If you are worried about not being able to communicate in Croatian, all you have to do is make sure that being fluent in Croatian is not a requirement for the position you are applying. Luckily for my husband and I, since we are professionals in the IT industry (Software Quality Assurance), most companies, even in Croatia, require communication in English, therefore, scheduling interviews has not been an issue.

Hope this helped :)

sretna amerikanka!

Goodluck Amerikanka 😉😊

I just wanted to say, if you really want to work, I had the best luck finding work through word of mouth. My very first job was slicing cheese and ham for a pizzeria, so I didn't have to worry about not knowing Croatian. I was the kitchen prep and cleaning lady, but it was fine, and the money I earned helped me pay for a good used car.

Working in the supermarket was also good, because I was stocking the shelves and cleaning, which didn't require a strong command of the Croatian language. Basically, if you really want to work, I would suggest two things:

- try to find a job in your mother tongue (i.e. proofreading, translating, or working online) OR
- tell everyone you know in Croatia that you are really interested to work here, and it doesn't matter what, just the job experience and working alongside other Croats is your plan. This is an excellent way to get to know the people, culture and eventually the language which will lead to you being able to get a better job.

Even if the person you talk to doesn't know of any job for you, they will remember and spread the word to their friends, who may be looking for someone just you - eager, intelligent and not too talkative on the job :D 

Good luck :)