Saftey In kenya

Hi All,

I am a south african citizen who has been living in the uk for the past 10 years & have now been offered an assignment in Kenya & I am a bit concerned about the security in Kenya.

I have a few questions:

Where to live, on the coast or in the capital.

accomidation.....etc

Please help

Will revert back the question to you - how was security in UK ? I have been told there is lot of gangs, unemployed kids on drugs or wearing weapons, etc.

So, my personal opinion, Nairobi is safer than most other capital cities. Sure, if you drive your posh car at 2am in a poor area on a dark & dirt road, then you are playing with fire !!!

Live at the coast if you like hot and wet weather. Me prefer the capital city, nice weather and very modern city life (cosmopolitan + stressing urban life)

Accomidation ?? You mean accommodation ??
They are plenty of post here about accommodation, price is going up due to specutalive market (called here the house market bubble) but plenty of empty flats, fewer houses...

Just come here for a week or two before to make your choice ! UK-Nairobi is not that expensive !!

Hi,

As I spend part of the year in the UK and part in Kenya, I would advise that Nairobi is nowhere near as dangerous as the FCO or western media make it out to be.  However, unlike many UK cities, its not advisable to walk around Nairobi at night.  If you go out, ensure that you have transport home.  Neither would I recommend wandering round plugged into an mp3, or talking on a mobile.  A few simple precautions and being sensible is all that is required, such as not flaunting your valuables, locking car doors, etc. 

Where to live:  As the previous post says, the coast is very warm and very humid.  I cant sleep there without aircon!  The people are more laid back and I think, more friendly.

Nairobi, due to its altitude is more temperate and less humid.  Lots of traffic, fast moving and busy.