Elderly parents as dependents

Hi,

Is anyone able to please help... My sister and her family live in Mauritius and they are Mauritian citizens (from her husbands side of the family) and my hubby and I and 2 kids are wanting to relocate to Mauritius and have applied for jobs in the interim. My question is, my parents aged 67 and 71 live with me, and we would like them to join us.  Can my sister apply for them to come over as dependents with her citizenship? If we go, they will have no one left in South Africa to care for them.
Thanks
Mel

I'm sure they can apply to be dependents through your sister. But she may have to write a letter of support.  I think they can apply for it with the Prime Minister's Office.

Islander316 wrote:

I'm sure they can apply to be dependents through your sister. But she may have to write a letter of support.  I think they can apply for it with the Prime Minister's Office.

How can you be so sure? what is your level of certainty?
The sister became citizen through marriage and thus won't have any right for such endeavours.

If the sister is a Mauritian citizen, whether she is naturalized or not has no bearing on the situation. In almost every country you can apply to have your parents live with you as dependents, Mauritius would not be different. What i'm not sure about is what procedure has to be done.

As i said, check with the Prime Minister's office, they can tell you for sure.

Parents are not classified as 'dependents' in Mauritius. You will need to support this request on special grounds (medical, for instance). Else, the only persons classified as dependents are you spouse and kids below 24.