Retiring in the Netherlands

Hello everyone,

Why did you choose to retire in the Netherlands? What are the advantages compared with your home country?

What were your main considerations when deciding to move? For example, taxes, ease of transferring your pension, etc..

Are there any specific formalities you had to go through as a retiree moving to the Netherlands (for example, is there a particular retirement visa)?

What is the Netherlands' healthcare like? Have you had any good or bad experiences dealing with healthcare professionals?

Do you have any tips for other retirees in the Netherlands?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hello Priscilla,
No I am not retired.
And I have presently moved to Nigeria. I was in Netherlands for a short period only.
Sorry I couldn't help.
Cheers

Hello Priscilla,
I am retired, living in South Africa, and would so much like to join my children and grandchildren in the Netherlands, as I have no one left here, but it seems that in 2013 the "oma naar Nederland halen" has fallen away.
My children will obviously sponsor me and I do have a monthly retirement income that will cover my basics, but I certainly do not have ZAR 18,000,000 (current convertion calculation 1220349.58 Euro) to invest in the Netherlands, before proving that one can actually afford a roof over your head, food and medical.
I have no problem doing the taal en inburgeren examen. I actually did the exam before, in 2000 together with my daughter before she left to join her boyfriend, who she had since married.
We would love it if I could be their au pair, but it seems that the doors are open for the "world and it's brother", but just not for an grandparent to join her family. I know the Netherlands. I have been for visits almost every year since 2001, but I suppose realistically seen through the eyes of the authorities a retiree without the stipulated investment funds, may be seen as a future liability to the government and therefore does not seem to be welcome to stay.
You ask about advantages between retiring in the Netherlands compare to my home country:
There is much more order in the Netherlands. People still obey laws. Farm murders, attacks and brutal murders on the elderly, or anyone for that matter (just to gain a cell phone), carjacking, tax money being spent fraudulently (and getting away with it), are just not the order of the day in the Netherlands as here in this beautiful country of ours. In the Netherlands politicians do not use ethnicity to fuel up hatred amongst different groups by spreading lies, just for their own agendas.
I am sick of living behind burglar bars and 2.4M palisades. I am sick of not knowing whether my car will still be in the parking lot if I come out of the grocery store. I am sick of taking a pepper spray canister with me when going for a walk and worried that it may be used on me, while leaving my cell phone at home so I have less on me to be taken away at knifepoint. I live one street away from the sea, but can never take the chance of strolling along the beach on my own.
I cannot claim refugee status, or ask for asylum as I have only been burgled twice in my own home, and twice in a parking lot, but I am lucky that my life had not yet really been threatened, although it happens daily all around you.
If there is anyone who has any advice on the matter, or contact details for someone to whom I can direct a plea it would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards
Hendrine