Help Needed - Visiting Visa to UK from Egypt

Hi All,

I am desperate need of your help. I have come across this subject on another thread but it was from 2014 so I figured people must have more help or advice on this topic.

I was living in Egypt a few years back and I left 2 years ago.

I have been in a relationship with an Egyptian for the past 4 and a half years. I visit alot since moving back (because of the plane accident and there is no work) to see my better half.

We want to apply for a visiting visa for him to come and visit the UK however, we don't want to marry in Egypt because we dont want the stereotypical view of he is only with me for a visa. We never had any intention of moving to England and I was quite happy in Egypt.

We are not legally married but have an orfi which I know doesn't stand for very much but can anyone give me any advice on how to move forward with this? Or am I fighting a loosing battle because we are not officially married?

I am currently earning above the threshold that is required and he is working but gets paid cash in hand. I dont own my own property as I live at home with my mum because she is disabled. I only have about £1500 in savings and a regular income.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!!

Kate xx

Hi Kate

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Just to clear some things up, you want to get married legally, but where?

The whole which visa business for the UK has got a hell of a lot worse in the past years.

Check if you need a UK visa

Do you both plan to settle down in England with him moving in with you and your mother?

Its good that you are earning above the threshold as this causing a lot of problems and its may also go further when Brexit happens.

Minimum income rules stopping British citizens bringing foreign spouses to UK are lawful, says Supreme Court

SimCityAT
Expat.com Expert Team

Dear  brother
Only way get in greek or Italian. How you enter you need to see  and looks out.  By sea or road. You need to find. then your half can come to see you more.  No others wsy you can come  in uk. Unless your half send you strong sponsor.

Thank you so much for your reply.

We don't mind where we will marry in the future but he wants to come and meet my family and spend time with us here before we decide on where we will marry.

Settling down we haven't decided..ideally I don't want to leave my job in the near future but obviously I will sacrifice if he cannot stay here.

Initially we just want a visiting visa...or do you think we are best going straight in for the visa where he can stay here??

Reallly not sure what the solution is x

Hi Kate,

This will be difficult; I'll split this into 2 parts; first short-stay visa; he can apply via the link that SimCityAT gave you previously.  Unfortunately, if he likes it here, he can't stay and apply to remain, he will have to return to Egypt and apply from there; now it gets difficult .....

Permanent visa; your current status isn't recognised in the UK and he will need to get in on his own merits.  Unless he gets a job here and that employer is willing to sponsor and pay him above a stipulated level, then your other-half will struggle to get a permanent visa to live in the UK and these visas (Tier 2) normally have a duration aspect - i.e. 2 years; it gets further complicated by the fact that the jobs he can apply for are limited by profession; this link will take you to the current list.

I'd be very wary of using the illegal-immigration route that is being hinted at above.

Not sure if I've helped, but I wish you the best of luck in your journey. :)

Cynic
Expat.com Expert Team