Considering a change of career.

Hey everyone,

I may repost this in its own thread because I really need some help/perspective.

I'm an American living in the Southeastern US. My husband is Dutch and is seriously considering a change in career so he (we) can move back to the Netherlands. He misses his family and country a lot and I know he'd prefer to be there. I'm originally from New Jersey, so there's nothing much left for me in the South US either. I've found the Netherlands is a lot more like where I grew up than the South is.

Anyway, he will probably find a job quickly once he starts looking. It's really me that we're worried about. I just completed my Master's degree in social work so while I do have quite a bit of higher education, my field is very heavily language-based and I don't have a ton of work experience. I really want my job to be meaningful to society. I'm eager to work in fields like mental health, gerontology, child welfare, school counseling, etc., and I'm willing to work my way up from a lower-paid gig.

We're just not sure that's realistic because of the language barrier. I understand quite a bit of Dutch, but I can't speak it yet. This is a big deal because my career is really the last piece that needs to fall into place before we move. I don't really need to get a job before moving, I just want to know if jobs exist for expats in these fields.

Thanks in advance. This has been so stressful!

Hi RozeTulp,

Welcome on board  :)

Please note that this new thread has been created from your post on the Netherlands forum for better visibility.

You will surely get some feedbacks from members soon.

All the very best,
Bhavna

Welcome on board  :cheers:

I am a social worker and I can assure you, no matter in which field you want to work, you need your Dutch.
As a matter of fact, in almost every job you need it. Unless you can work for an international organisation.

About your master or any other diploma's and certifications, it's wise to find out if will be accepted by the government to work with.
I know cases that after lots of education and work experiences it wasn't sufficient enough to get a job here because standards can be different.