Close

Any Free English Speaking Schools in PR?

I'm very worried about my kids education when we get there, they don't speak english
I suppose to start school on Aug 25.

Unless you are willing to pay for private school, all public schools are in spanish. Kids are resourceful, they will lean the language before we do

Hi Leyito,

I know for a fact that there are public school in PR that WILL work with you if you do not speak spanish. It's just a matter of finding a school to do this. I have family that went to public school in Barceloneta (Embery section) that had a good experience. They really worked with my Puerto Rican born nephews that had moved to the states then back to PR loosing their spanish along the way and had to relearn it again in PR's public school. It was a tough process and one they fought hard against but they were bilingual in literally a year at 10 & 11 years old. We (parents and me their titi) were very involved in this process with the teachers. Whatever you decide I wish you the best with everything.

I would not count on schools being willing to work with you. The economic crisis here is such that schools are closing and consolidating. Many teachers do not speak English. Hopefully your kids are young and you are speaking spanish to them at home? They can't only learn in school.

That said, I have teens and they have learned quickly even in an English speaking school, and would have learned faster were there more immersion at home. Good luck!

Hello again Leyito,

My husband and I are Boricuas with a soon to be schooled child so we also had to do our homework with this, as well. Here are a few schools in northwestern PR if you will be living in or nearby the following towns: Antonio Gonzalez Suarez Bilingual School in Añasco is a public (FREE) elementary school; Maria L Jimenez Lopez Bilingual School in Aguada is another public (FREE) elementary school; Alcides Figueroa Bilingual School (formerly Escuela Regional Bilingue Ramirez Hostos) is a public (FREE) middle and high school in Añasco. It has been my and our family's experience that there are many teachers in PR who are bilingual. As a matter of fact it's been in the news how the states has been trying to recruit them. There are 100 plus public schools closing so I am hoping for you that you find a bilingual public school close enough that can accommodate your children or you'll need to consider private school instead. Hope this is of some help!

http://public-schools.startclass.com/d/ … o/San-Juan

Check out this site
livinginpuertorico.com/best-private-schools/

When we visited last summer we were told all public schools are spanish-speaking with one hour of English taught. Many islanders we encountered spoke little English and admitted they didn't feel fluent enough; much like my spanish. When I researched the private schools, I liked Baldwin and Palmas Academy but you'll have to check depending on location and other factors.

Not available here in the island!!

My kids are homeschooled but there's great private schools in PR.

Dorado- Tasis Dorado Academy
Condado - Robinson and St Johns (clients recommend)

Here's a list of Private Schools in PR
http://livinginpuertorico.com/best-private-schools/

Amkonline19 :

Not available here in the island!!

My kids are homeschooled but there's great private schools in PR.

Dorado- Tasis Dorado Academy
Condado - Robinson and St Johns (clients recommend)

Here's a list of Private Schools in PR
http://livinginpuertorico.com/best-private-schools/

There actually are a few free public bilingual schools in northwestern Puerto Rico. I mentioned them a few posts up from this one. My aunt (my family is from Puerto Rico) said there was also one in or near Ponce but not sure if that particular one is still open with the mass school closings and all. So they do exist on the island. It's just a matter of being lucky enough to live nearby them and there being available slots open for new students to enroll.

Expatriate health insurance in Puerto Rico

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Puerto Rico

Moving to Puerto Rico

Find tips from professionals about moving to Puerto Rico

Travel insurance in Puerto Rico

Enjoy stress-free travel to Puerto Rico