New members of the Dominican Republic forum, introduce yourselves here – June to December 2017

Looking to move from Missouri to the DR in 4 years. Wanting to experience what we can from the island.  Looking forward to learning more about it and have found so much information from here already. We have done alot of research already. Thank you and have a blessed day.

AdventureSeeker welcome.  Yes you are doing it the correct way.  Do you research and visit the different areas to see what fits for you.  Lots of info here for you to read and research.
Good luck and keep us up on your progress.
BobK

MGarrison welcome.  Lots of good info here.  Have you been here before?  Living here is way different than vacationing here.  Where in Missouri ?  I went to school in the KC area.

Bob K

Thank you Bob! I will for sure! :D

Hello all,
I am originally from the Bahamas with roots in Santa DoMingo and my husband and I are contemplating early retirement in the DR within the next 6-12 months. We are doing our research and planning trips to the north and east coasts. We have visited Punta Cana and Santa Domingo. We intend to visit Puerto Plata, Santiago and Jarabacoa. We are leaning towards the north due to chronic medical conditions. We have read all the posts thus far and welcome any additional words of wisdom.

Welcome to the forums.  Take your time do your research, read lots, ask  questions and we will help whenever we can!

Thanks. Will do

Welcome. It sounds like you have a plan.  Keep us posted.

Bob K

Hello All,
New to expat.com
Older retired couple looking to possibly make the move from Florida to The D.R.
Have been on several cruises but have only seen Las Terrenas on a show called Caribbean Life.
Have talked about several places and this one keeps coming up in the top destinations.
Input welcome.
Peace and God Bless

Welcome.  Lots of good info and good folks here on this forum.  Read, read, and read some more. Feel free to ask questions you may have.
There are lots of beautiful areas on this country and you should visit do some exploring.  Living here is vastly different than vacationing here.
Bob K

I second that welcome and the advice!!!

¡Hola a todos!

My name is MJ and I currently live in Philadelphia with my husband, our 15 month old baby and dog.
I was born in the Dominican Republic but I was raised in Puerto Rico. We would love to move to La Romana preferibly near the beach for 6-12 months. My main concern is safety and lifestyle changes.
I would love to hear from anyone living in or near La Romana. It would be helpful to know what are the best neighborhoods to live in ( excluding Casa de Campo) but perhaps nearby and  average monthly rental for 3 bedroom home or apartment. Also if you guys hire any help like a nanny, how much do you pay?

Saludos desde Philadelphia.

Welcome to the forums. As this is a forum for intro and welcome so will ask you to start a thread to ask about la romana. I lived there for almost 2 years and will happy to answer any questions I can!!!

Welcome.  There is lots of info here for you to read and do ask questions in old or new threads that you may start.

Bob K

Thank you Bob! I spent a few hours reading  yesterday :)

Hello, my name is Ashley. I am married to a Dominican and waiting on his visa. Looks like with immigration laws changing in the US, it won't be until next Christmas that he is here. So I am considering moving there, I hold a Master's in Business Administration with a specialization in Human Resource Management. I have taught business education in the high school level for the past 3 years as well as I have background in working in government agencies. I am looking for information on where I could work. My Spanish isn't that strong, however I can speak it. Which businesses hire english speaking individuals in San Francisco de Macoris?

Welcome to the forums. First you will need residency and your cedula to work here. Your HR experience etc will have little.value here as its totally different both culturally and legally. You might find something on a  call center

Do you know about teaching english or if the universities would hire me to teach?

Welcome and again before you can get any job here you need your residency.

Bob K

Hello Everyone,  I new to the Dominican Republic Form, had been checking out Puerto Rico, but it actually seems like DR has better internet which is critical to me.  Already been looking through the Forum a bunch and there is great info here!  Thanks everyone for sharing!

Mike & Mary

Welcome and you are very welcome. Keep reading and ask your questions.

Welcome Mike and Mary. My wife and I are in Punta cana watching Hurricane Maria. Let's hope it goes north!

Hi, I'm sort of a new old member. I was a member for a couple of years with over a thousand posts.  When they changed the web site somehow I was asked my pass word. I didn't remember it. Boom! No longer able to post or make use of it. Clicked on "forgot your pass word/"  Yup, no reply at all. Kept trying to log in to know avail. Tried to rejoin but was told someone else had that name & address.  Direct e-mails to the big wigs brought no response.. At last I had to get new e-mail & different name.  Now I'm back & happy again.  The Tinker 40 formally known as Gypsy401. Once in awhile I signed off as the Tinker or the Tuba.  This is a great site for newbies as well as the long timers here in the DR. I've lived in the tropical islands for decades. I'm a new member just like you.  Welcome to the DR.

Mike and Mary welcome.  Yep lots of good info and good folks here.  Ask away and keep us updated on your progress

Bob K

Canadian born and married to a beautiful Dominican lady. Spent a few years in Boca Chica, where I met my wife 30 years ago. We married there and left a year after our first son was born. Her family is mostly in La Romana and El Cedro de Miches. Recently purchased a building lot (400m2) in La Residencial del Oeste in La Romana. Would like to build a part-time home there. Been reading up on construction costs and related topics. Would like to find some building plans for typical residences.

Hello names Jay and thanks for having a place for such great information. Planning a trip to DR in Nov. little discovery mission.

Welcome to the new members. Again please ask and answer specific questions in other threads. Lets keep this for introductions and welcomes.

Feel free to open threads as you need to!   Feel free to ask any questions you have in the threads you are reading! 

Thanks all!

We look forward to your participation -  keep us posted on your progress, we love to read your stories!!!!

Jay welcome. Lots of good information for you here.  Read, read and then read some more and ask questions you may have.  Where in the DR are you planning on visiting

Bob K

Hello Dear Expat Community,
I am new to this, Born in Russia but grew up in Israel.
I moved to DR to a little over a year, I am 32, single, currently live and work in Retail at the Hard Rock Hotel. In the past 7 years I had the opportunity to live in few countries in the Caribbean such as Mexico, St Marten, St Thomas, and the Bahamas. The DR is definitely my favorite Country! My plan is to stay here and develop a business in the region since there are many opportunities..
I would love to meet new people and possibly make new friends! Also it would be great to be part of events in the region or in the country.

Thank you!

elisabayev
Welcome to the forum.  Lots of good folks and good information here.  I am on the north coast so not near you.  I wish you good luck in your quest for a business

Bob K

Welcome to the forums. We have a number of  members here in Punta Cana.  The more you participate in the  forums the more people you get to know!

I'm Julian, I'm 50 years old.  I'm looking to retire in the Dominican republic.  I've traveled to the country many times.  I'm an accountant who is transitioning from working in an office to telecommute. I'm planning on bringing my children with me. They are homeschooled, but I want them to really learn Spanish. I haven't decided yet where to live on the island, but leaning more to Puerta Plata.

Hi everyone! My name is Gulya I just moved to Las Terrenas, arrived here 1 week ago,  so far so good :) , already met few nice people, does  anyone on this group live in las terrenas?

Julian welcome.  There is a ton of information on this board along with some nice folks.  The north coast is a great area to relocate to with a family.  We have been here for nearly 12 years now.
Read, read and read some more on the different threads here and please feel free to ask questions.
Keep us updated on your progress.

Bob K

Gulsina welcome.  Lots of good information here and lots of folks who live in the Las Terrenas area and I am sure they will be along to greet you as well.

Bob K

Welcome to you both!  I second Bob's comments. read and ask questions. Open new threads as needed or wanted.

Julian  getting the kids into Spanish classes will help them meet new people and socialize here. Its all about the social life! 

We look forward to hearing your ongoing stories and helping you settle in!

Hello Gulsina. I am in Las Terrenas, have been here over 2 months now. Welcome.

Hi everyone I'm pretty new to the Dominican Republic. I moved here from New Jersey, United States  to Santo Domingo in July with my fiancé . Since then we have ended up with two puppies, one of which we rescued. Does anyone have any advice or information of where I can volunteer with minimal speaking Spanish. I understand greatly but am still learning to speak. Anyway, Once I got here, I created a blog about my life in the Dominican Republic and what its like being an expat. If you would like to take a look, that would be great since I'm sure many of you can relate ! Thanks in advance ! jerseygirlgonecaribbean.com

Welcome to the forums!   Read read read and start a thread on volunteering, you will get lots of feedback! 

Keep us posted on your experiences!

Thankyou !

Closed