Naturalisation and citizenship in Belize

Hello everyone,

What are the requirements for acquiring citizenship in Belize? For example, length of residence, language requirements, employment etc..

What formalities are involved in the process?

What is the policy on dual-citizenship in Belize? Do you have to give up your former nationality?

What are the advantages and benefits of acquiring Belizian citizenship, in your opinion?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

So, here are some of the requirements: https://www.expat.com/en/guide/central- … elize.html

The main advantage of citizenship, I think, is being able to vote.

Citizenship vs. Residency.
It is important to note that there is a difference between Residency and Citizenship. Obtaining residency from either the Qualified Retiree Program (QRP) or the Permanent Residency Program (PR) will allow you to remain in Belize as a resident. However, Citizenship is different, and while these residency programs will afford you some of the same rights enjoyed by citizens, there are a few exceptions that will depend on your country of origin.

How To Obtain Belizean Citizenship.
Obtaining Belize citizenship can be done in a couple of ways depending on your personal situation and relationship to belize.

Through Participation in the Residency Program.
If you have obtained permanent residency, and have lived in the country for at least five years. You will be eligible to apply for citizenship for you, your spouse, and any children that are 18 years old or younger.

Apply for citizenship by descent.
If you have family members who are Belizean citizens, you may qualify to apply for citizenship by descent even before you move to Belize (Even if they are deceased). You will need to be able to prove with authentic original documents that these relatives were indeed legal Belizean citizens.

Marry a Belizean.
If you marry a citizen of Belize, you as well as the children of the marriage will be eligible to become a Belizean citizen, even if they are born in another country. Marriages are investigated to make sure they are not just arranged to take advantage of the system to obtain citizenship.

Some Benefits of Citizenship.
There can be a few benefits to becoming a Belizean citizen, again your country of origin will determine if citizenship is required to enjoy these benefits.

As a citizen, you can vote in Belizean elections.
NOTE: Citizens of Commonwealth countries may apply for a voters card after residing in Belize for one year and in their voting district for at least the two previous months. As Canadians we obtained our voters card even before applying for Permanent Residency. We did have to go to our local office to have it transferred when we moved to a different district (both cases took about two months).

You are eligible to hold a Belizean passport.
Dual citizenship is permitted in Belize, but it is also dependant on your native country. In some countries residents are required to give up their citizenship when they apply or when Belize citizenship is granted.

You can join the Belizean armed forces.

You become a member of CARICOM.
The Caribbean Community, (CARICOM), allows you to travel freely between member nations in Latin America and the Caribbean. Again depending on your native country and your travel needs, this may be a benefit.

You can work and own a business in Belize without a work permit.
This is often listed as a benefit to having citizenship, but usually this benefit is acquired once your Permanent Residency Application has been accepted.

Tips when applying for Citizenship (or any process in Belize).
Keep your documents organized, Belizean forms require different sorts of identification and accompanying forms such as photo's, notarized statutory declarations, etc. So it is important to maintain your files with copies and dates of individual submissions.

The application process can take some time in Belize. Due diligence in respectfully and patiently following up with agencies to ensure your application is being processed, is strongly recommended.

If you are out of the country, it is also recommended to contact the nearest Belizean Embassy if you have questions about your eligibility or the specific requirements of an application.

Always double check information on documents (for mistakes), especially those that you have brought with you from your native country. There has been a rise in falsified travel documents and passports, so the Belizean authorities have increased their vetting process and vigilance.

Be wary of so called professional facilitators that promise to get your application pushed through for a fee. Residency and Citizenship processes are straightforward, and do not require that you retain professional help. In fact the Belizean government warns that they are often scams.
Note: I said the processes are straightforward, I did not say, smooth or easy. You should be prepared even after your application is accepted, to provide additional documents and information as requested throughout the process. Also, this tip refers only to the residency/citizenship processes. I am not saying that this applies to the purchase of a business or other real property where retaining a professional is highly recommended.

Finally, as mommy always said, “honesty is the best policy”. If you, as an applicant or as a reference, are convicted of providing false information, the penalty is a $500.00 fine and/or imprisonment in Belize for one year.

I hope this helps.

We lived there under the Qualified Retired Person (QRP) program. We could not vote and when entering Belize we could not stand in the shorter "citizen's" line. We also had a younger child and knew that we would be returning to the US at some point. If I was going to live there permanently, it would make sense to hold dual citizenship. Not just to vote or stand in a shorter line, but to have a pride in the Country. I would certainly check the tax laws if you are planning on moving. Under QRP we did not have to pay any income tax in Belize as all of our money was earned outside of Belize and transferred in from American banks. Belize is no longer a reliable tax shelter for US funds.  Lots to consider. Do not know if the QRP program has changed but it was advantageous to us for the duty break on importing a car. Duty on cars in Belize is ridiculous. No wonder nobody there owns a reliable car. Without the QRP program you pay duty by the cylinders; so 4 cylinder car = 40%; 6 cylinder = 60% and an 8 cylinder = 80% of the value determined by Belize customs. You can have have a paid receipt in your hand and Belize customs can determine the "value" without review or appeal. So you either pay or leave your car on the dock. Customs is not the most reputable people we had to work with. If you are bringing anything other than the shirt on your back, you need a good customs broker.

I HAVE BEEN A RESIDENT FOR 26 YEARS ..I RECENTLY WENT TO IMMIGRATION AND GOT THE 3-4 PAGE APPLICATION  FOR CITIZENSHIP , ONCE YOU DO ALL THE MEDICAL TESTS AND EX SAMES   THEY ARE EXTENSIVE THE COST IS ABOUT $1000.BZ  + OR -     THE RESULTS ARE ONLY GOOD FOR 3 TO 6 MONTHS , THERE IS A 3 TO 5 YEAR WAITE TO GET CITIZENSHIP OR MAY BE MORE , THE ONLY ADVANTAGE IS YOU CAN VOTE AND THEY CAN NOT KICK YOU OUT ... I PERSONALLY AM LEAVING , I AM MOVING ON TO MY BOAT AND I AM GONE THERE IS NOTHING ELSE HERE FOR ME EXCEPT DIVING , THE COUNTRY IS IN SHAMBLES.

Moderated by Sarvesh 6 years ago
Reason : Do not post in capital letters.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Dave, I am so sorry to hear this. We moved back to the US five years ago after living in the Placencia area for almost two years. I had heard from others that it has changed. We were far from Belize City so were not involved in the seedier side of Belize. About the only time we went there was to go to Brodies or the Ace Hardware. Wow...really bummed to hear it has gone down hill. Government was always sketchy; such a small country and so much poverty. There is just no middle class. Still have good friends there.

i got into a discussion one day with some ministers who run the country , about why they do not create any stimulus  to improve the unemployment  situation , answer we do we keep any thing we have  going directed to  our relatives , it  benefits them and down the road us to , the rest of the population we keep poor and under foot , that way we can control them , most of which are useless eaters .and  can be bought easier at election time , during my y 26 years here i have been at different meetings some of which if given the go ahead would have created hundreds of jobs, there could be places here that look like playa de-carmen , clean , some thing to be proud of , but is not going to happen any where except San Pedro , caye caulker and may be San Ignacio, the rest of the country is done, inflation right now is 450%, what should cost 2 dollars is 5 dollars as a business man i can not ignore these things  but the population are pacifists . oh well thats the way it is .

Take a look at this website ins.gov.bz. You should get most of the information needed to assist you on your AMAZING journey to Belize. I am a Belize citizen and I can tell you that my country is a Beautiful mesmerizing mysterious and adventurous place to live. Maybe that's why so many people are coming to visit/live and experience this SLICE OF PARADISE!I I am a firm believer that people see things differently based on their perceptions and experiences in life. As a wise man once said "Twenty years from now you will regret the things that you didn't do rather than the ones you did"! (Mark Twain). ~ So I recommend that you throw CAUTION TO THE WIND and come to take a look for yourself. Belize is not for everybody but it has something for everyone! ~  I am sure if you do decide to visit you will have wonderful memories to last a lifetime. You might even decide to stay!!!  ~ Hope to meet you here in PARADISE/BELIZE!!! ~ PEACE!! 😎😎😎😎!

I am trying to get citizenship my parents and granparents and greatgrands were born in belize

yayalaw wrote:

I am trying to get citizenship my parents and granparents and greatgrands were born in belize

This might be a place to start: https://www.belizemission.com/download/ … _Guide.pdf