What a journey it has been...AND CONTINUES TO BE!

Hello, My partner Edward and I live in Brooklyn, NY and we are in the process of taking the necessary steps to move to Belize by Sept 2017  (hopefully sooner than later).

Here is our story...

What a journey it has been...AND CONTINUES TO BE!
Let me start by saying that the universe really does work in mysterious ways.  I believe that when one is really ‘ready for change', life seems to unfold.  There are times ‘change' can be good, bad and/or indifferent.  Like the song says, ‘A Change is Coming!!'  I kept saying to myself, ‘don't be too afraid—fear can help guide you'.  I think complacency and normalcy are our enemies.  As my grandma always said, ‘keep the fire in your belly'!

Upon arrival at the San Pedro airport on March 26 (after 11 years in AC), we saw the sign - WELCOME HOME and I got goosebumps.  I also felt a sense of relief!  There have many ‘goosebumps' during this crazy journey along with many coincidences.  Let me introduce myself…my name is Jon and my partner is Eddie and we currently live in Brooklyn, NY.  My partner and I have been on the most incredible journey for years, but didn't know the specifics until January 2017.  I am born and bred in NY (north of Manhattan in Yonkers, to be specific—somewhat ‘city meets suburbia').  Eddie is originally from Tanzania, East Africa --but lived in many places including England, Kuwait and then wound up in Brooklyn, NY.  We have been together for 22 years.  To make a long story short, we hope to move to San Pedro, AC by September-October 2017.  Crazy as things seem, we hope the path has been set up for us.  We recently came back from a two-week trip to Belize to explore various areas to potentially live.  It was our fourth time to Belize since 2003, and third time back to AC.  It was so important to us to drive throughout the mainland and 'explore' the country, as well as revisit various areas of interest.  On March 17, we arrived at the airport to retrieve our rental car and headed down south to Hopkins for 6 nights.  Hopkins is an amazing area and we were able to explore Dangriga as well.  About an hour south of Hopkins, we revisited Placencia --where we last vacationed in 2011.  Times have surely changed!!  As much as we loved Hopkins and Placencia, we felt it was not a starting point for us coming from NY.  We needed to ‘work our way' --if you will.  After 6 nights in Hopkins, we drove North to Corozal for three nights to explore this unchartered territory.  Prior trips included spending time in San Ignacio, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Caye Caulker, etc.  Corozal is a lovely, sleepy village with many retired expats from Canada & the U.S.  After a lovely stay in Corozal, we flew to San Pedro for the third time since 2003.  Again, times have surely changed!!  AC has grown considerably since our last visit and continues to expand.  When we revisited Caye Caulker for the day, it reminded us so much of what AC used to be like many years ago.  No matter what, AC is where we hope to land.  As I write this, our home in Brooklyn is on the market and we plan to come to San Pedro in July and to hopefully lock in a 'long-term rental'.  We agreed from the beginning of this journey to ‘rent' at first and get our feet wet, and hopefully buy something down the road.  We stand by this idea for anyone considering the move along with EXPLORING BELIZE, as much as you possibly can before making a commitment.  Moreover, 'House Hunters International' reached back out to us to discuss being on the show.  We are NOT holding our breaths, but you never know, LOL.  These programs can look great on television, but do not necessarily represent the day-to-day life.  We are trying our best to remove the fantasy from the equation and deal with the everyday reality.  To summarize this story, from day one---we have met and/or corresponded with so many supportive people who have been SO AMAZING AND SO HELPFUL!!!!  From the beginning of this search, whether it be meeting expats living throughout various parts of Belize, talking to locals sharing their own personal stories or chatting with tourists visiting the country for the first time---we have been on the most incredible journey that we hope is far from over!!   Peace to all!  Jon & Eddie

I'm so excited for y'all (I'm a southern girl)! And it seems like you've done your research and are moving forward in a good way. You're wise to want to separate fantasy from reality, but there are so many things you can't know until, as BillDoesBelize says, you have your sandals in the sand (totally stealing that, Bill - it's so freaking clever). I'm excited for your journey and hope it will be most of what you want it to be! Please keep me posted!

So sorry for the delay...thank you so much for the support!!  It's a crazy time for us as we are in the midst of selling our home in Brooklyn and figuring out the next steps.  You have it just right with the saying from BillDoesBelize...'Sandals in the Sand and Boots on the Floor'!!  I shared with Bill that I was actually humming a 'tune' to his saying when we arrived in Hopkins back in March, where we were exploring one of many areas to live.  Bill, if you see this--you have to make a song! LOL.  Seriously, it has great meaning!  We are so GRATEFUL to have returned to Belize recently and drive throughout the mainland and 'get our feet wet' and explore areas to live.  It wasn't enough time, but we look forward to future excursions once we land in San Pedro.  Time will tell...just taking one crazy moment at a time.  Again, thank you for the words of wisdom.  Peace to all!

Monkey Town brew wrote:

.........as BillDoesBelize says, you have your sandals in the sand (totally stealing that, Bill - it's so freaking clever)...........

Thank you, (hmmmmm.............. should I call you Monkey or is it Ms. Brew?) Just kidding, steal away. lol

JON J. F wrote:

........ You have it just right with the saying from BillDoesBelize...'Sandals in the Sand and Boots on the Floor'!!  I shared with Bill that I was actually humming a 'tune' to his saying when we arrived in Hopkins back in March, where we were exploring one of many areas to live.  Bill, if you see this--you have to make a song! LOL..........

Thanks Jon, so here it is. More of a poem than a song.

“Sandals In The Sand”

We started out in Canada, a lovely place to be,
A place of abundance, with everything you'd ever need.
With it's views of the mountains, and of its two seas,
yes it is a pretty place, that still has lots of trees.
So why would anyone ever leave, it's so hard to conceive,
But long cold winters were killing, my neck, and back, and knees.
My wife had had two minor strokes, so said her Doctors log,
It was time to find a better life, for me, my wife, and dog.

It started out quite innocent, with no thoughts that we would leave,
just looking for a better job, that would give us both relief.
I searched to find I could be rich, from things online to do,
but was it really possible, or was it too good to be true.
Then one day an ad popped up, a big surprise you see,
I block all of the pop up ads, so was this one meant to be.
I read it with an open mind, and it soon appeared to me,
that the solution to our problems, might be waiting in Belize.

Now here is some advice, that I hope you all will heed,
you can't believe everything, that you see, and hear, and read.
Some people have a stake, in selling paradise,
But is what they are telling you, really always right
You have to come a stay awhile, and keep an open mind,
Be honest with yourself, and see what you will find.
You will want to experience, the culture here first hand,
That is what I call doing, your “sandals in the sand”.

Now please don't get me wrong, because for my wife and me,
Belize has been everything, we had hoped that it would be.
But many people come and leave, or don't last here very long,
why can't they wait to get away, is it one thing that goes wrong
This question has no good answer, but I often say;
“the reasons that they choose to leave, are the reasons that we stay”,
So take your time and go slow, and make sure you have a plan,
To explore for a little while, with your “sandals in the sand”.

Belize must call out to you, if you expect to stay,
And you probably won't find happiness, if you're not happy anyway.
What used to be the little things, will become the highlights of your day,
like listening to the birdies sing, or watching the sunset fade away.
walking your dog along the beach, saying good morning to everyone,
sharing some love with your fellow man, and just enjoying the sun,
and when you meet a new friend, be sure to shake his hand,
And listen to the stories of when, he had “sandals in the sand”.

Leave the “A” attitude behind, the instinct to force your will,
The only thing that gets you here, are directions to Ladyville.
People here don't live to work, or to produce more than yesterday,
They work to get just what they need, enjoying life and living for today,
So when you walk into a shop, looking for something hard to find,
I'll share with you a little tip, I try to keep at top of mind,
Don't start with “I want”, “I need”, or “I have to have that today”,
consider starting with, “How are you, and how's your family BTW?”

Now one last piece of advice, that I hope you all hear well,
For some Belize is paradise, and for others it's a living hell.
You will hear opposing opinions, on Social and the Forums,
but who is right and who is wrong, and who just shares the norms.
I can share my “unbelizeable truth”, and tell you what I see,
But in the end only you will know, if that is your reality.
So come and see for yourself, and tour across our land.
That is when you can say, I've done my “sandals in the sand”.

(C)2017 Bill Graham
                                                                                         ~Billdoesbelize~

I think I'm gonna tell people to call me Monkey from now on.

Again, sorry for the delay but things in Brooklyn are topsy-turvy as we prep for the transition.  WHAT AMAZING WORDS BILL...BRAVO!!!!  I actually got choked up reading this, I mean it.  THANK YOU for sharing!  Among many choice words, when you said 'Belize must call out to you, if you expect to stay' has significant meaning for me personally.  Coming from New York, this whole 'process' has been overwhelming at times, but I'm trying to take it moment by moment.  On top of everything, as we are in the process of selling our home in Brooklyn--we had a gas leak and our local gas company, National Grid had to shut us down.  We have been without gas, heat and hot water for almost a month now (and it's still chilly in NY).  All the necessary repairs were made but it is a very slow, tedious process to pass inspection, etc.  We hope to everything turned on next week.  Is this a sign to prepare us for Belize?? LOL!!  It feels like training camp!!  Moreover, thanks again for sharing the story behind SANDALS IN THE SAND.  I still think it can be a song, but I like the poem as well.  Peace to all!

Placencia, Caye Caulker 3 x , Hopkins, Ambergris, and now Corozal area...within this year.

We have checked out : Costa Rica, the DR, Panama, outer family Islands of the Bahamas (lovely)
Mexico, Jamaica, Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao,  WE LOVE BELIZE!!  We think maybe Corozal area (no developments) is the right place for us, we love blue water, diving, horses, and basically laid back living like the locals. We are vegetarians (some seafood) so we do not crave the basic american diet.
We dislike Walmart and prefer anything handmade to american design.
Off the grid would be nice..but not too far from civilization. We are healthy and fairly young,  for future
retirees.. Any suggestions on areas?  Thanks

First of all, mad props on all the traveling you've done!

And it seems from what you like, most of Belize fits the bill. We're in Monkey River, but it's pretty remote. 45 minutes by boat to Placencia, though. Anyway, we love Stann creek and Toledo for all the reasons you listed. I've never been too into horses (though my 15 yo daughter really wants one), but I know there's a few riding spots down here, and of course loads of people have them. One of the things I love about the south is that the reef is less crowded (or so I hear - diving isn't in the budget these days, but someday soon...).