Veil in London

Is it difficult to find a job in London or to live there while I am veiled?

Ashma Bakr wrote:

Is it difficult to find a job in London or to live there while I am veiled?

People in London tend to be used to Muslim attire as there are so many Muslims around. Full coverings are still pretty rare and a lot of people dislike them, even a lot of other Muslims, so that might be a bit of an issue but the sort of thing in your avatar is no real worry.
Work permits and so on are likely to be a bigger issue.

Many thanks

Apart from the normal, nice people, there is a racist element in the UK who hate pretty much everyone who isn't like them.
You're guaranteed to cross paths with one or two people like that from to time but don't let a few silly people put you off your dreams and goals.

yes, you are right, but i wanted to make sure as someone told me its a difficult to live there while veiled, so I tried to search for this generally on the internet and I didn't find the info I am looking for. I hope the situation is good there not to face a lot of problems otherwise to change the destination :)

In some areas of London it's hard to find ladies who don't wear coverings over their hair.

aha, Arabs?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/ … s-10-years

Half the Muslims in England and Wales were born there and almost three-quarters (73%) identify themselves as British. Two-thirds of Muslims are ethnically Asian and 8% are white.

For 'Asian', read Pakistani.
Most or many of the UK's Muslims originated in Pakistan and they tend to have an undeserved bad reputation. Some do something bad and all are blamed - very unfair.
A lot came from poorer families in the north of Pakistan, the upshot being many tend to have experienced a lower education and their variety of Islam tends to be a little harsher than I'm used to here.
A very small number of young men went wild, engaging in a child sex ring, that giving the far right something to blame Pakistanis for over a good few months, as if about 8 perverts represented the whole Muslim population of the UK. Foolish.

Very few wear black full coverings and the few that do are often viewed with suspicion, sometimes even hate. Whilst I fully realise the style is a cultural thing (Not Islam), I also dislike that type of clothes but my opinion is of little matter as it isn't me who decides (rightly) what people choose to wear.
Odd as it might seem in a country with so many Muslims, the full coverings are seen as very strange here (Indonesia), the ladies often referred to in a less than flattering manner, that being by other Muslims.

As a note, a lot of white English people are converting to Islam now, so hair coverings are becoming more and more accepted.

The bottom line is, apart from a few twits who don't like anything non British, people are generally accepted for who they are, not what they are.

Thanks a million

""Most or many of the UK's Muslims originated in Pakistan and they tend to have an undeserved bad reputation. Some do something bad and all are blamed - very unfair.
A lot came from poorer families in the north of Pakistan, the upshot being many tend to have experienced a lower education and their variety of Islam tends to be a little harsher than I'm used to here.""

Agreed, in general, this has been the general impression.

This was true in 60's and 70's when Pakistanis from working class background were stuck in a vicious cycle of lack of education , lower category professions and poor housing conditions.

Things have changed since, a lot of professionally qualified persons got residence in the UK, a huge chunk of UK's doctors and surgeons are Pakistanis.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1180776 Ten Pakistanis who are Member of UK parliament

Today's London mayor Sadiq Khan is a Pakistani.

Coming back to our topic being accepted as a veiled female in the UK, I am sure you will nothing to worry about.

We must at least give them the credit of taking the responsibly of our community decades ago, provision  of halal meat, construction of mosques and Quran centers, getting permission for covering body while swimming  at school swimming pools was a result of efforts by Pakistanis. :)