Where in CR to live, based on schools & jobs.

Hi. Our family is planning to move from the Pacific Northwest to CR this year, and we are currently trying to decide exactly where in CR to relocate, based on school and employment opportunities.

We'll have the following kids with us: 1 high school, 1 5th grader & 1 4th grader. My wife is a teacher, my background is primarily in law enforcement, but I also have experience in graphic design, writing, video production and inspection work (transportation industry). We are learning Spanish, but far from fluent, and neither of us have any solid job leads at the moment.

Of course we do plan on doing a recon trip soon, in order to see the different parts of CR, but for now we'd appreciate any information/suggestions that anyone might have.

Based on what we've researched so far, we are partial to the areas near the west coast, but not directly in a heavily populated area.

Thanks, and we look forward to hearing your responces!

Once again, I suggest you read the requirements regarding  living and working in Costa Rica
It is not inexpensive to live here, especially raising a family and putting your kids through school, as you will, like many expats, choose to use an Internationally accredited  private facility, since they do not speak Spanish.

If you're planning to physically work in CR, I'd rethink your plan.  First, non-residents can't work here.  Second, wages here are ridiculously low.   Third, if you can't speak Spanish, your prospects are very limited.   From my experience, most people here buy businesses and hire Ticos to do all the work, or work online.    Also, there always seem to be lots of restaurants for sale in this area.  I wonder why!  :(

Hi. I lived on several Pacific beaches for nine years and I won't go back to live there again. It is expensive, hot, very hot, and not much to offer the kids. I would suggest the central part of the country, from San Ramon to Heredia although Alajuela and Heredia are hectic when driving from one place to another, but with plenty of schools, stores, etc. Here in my current town, Palmares, we are in need of a full all English school, where teachers teach all subjects in English except the ones required to be taught in Spanish. My two daughters went to an all English school in Guanacaste, so I know. Since your wife is a teacher, I have the opportunity to get a current school permit to open one. The school was opened down by the Peninsula de Ossa but it closed. It belonged to an american lady who married and moved to the US; she tells me the school can be opened any where in the country. I need to check closer but it is a possibility. With that you could apply for an investors visa and there's a way to hire "transient" English spoken teachers. Start with the first five grades. My 14 year old daughter goes to a public "bilingual"school. good school but not too bilingual, as far as I can tell.

Before starting any business I would suggest that one waits until they are sure that they

1) have legal residency, with cedula 'in hand'

2) the country is for you

3) are fluent in Spanish, especially important when dealing with the government.

4) can afford to lose their financial investment.

Hi, I am curious. What is the pay for an English Teacher? Can you work for two schools to support a living? I think one job as a teach might amount to a life of only surviving. Please offer any opinion.

Thanks

It is unlikely that you will get  a  full  time job when teaching English, mostly  just a few hours a week.

Read this article where it tells of 12 'teachers' that were deported.

Have you researched tuition and fees? A high school tuition/fees is $8K-$12K/yr; Middle School in the range of $8K/yr; Elementary School, a little less. Transportation is extra. Schools will email you their chart of tuition and fees. I know the school MauroN references. Most of the schools are in the busy neighborhoods in/near Heredia or in San Jose. Hearsay is that teacher salaries are low.

IMO relocating 3 children and securing 2 jobs will be arduous. Just make sure that the  schools offer the US diploma and/or the IB. I know of one school that is in the process of becoming accredited. Suggest you have proof that any school you enroll your children in is accredited.

Hi John,

I'm located in the Montezuma Area.  I'm walking on my 29th year here.  It's beautiful here and we have a great community.

The  area would not be good for you if you like malls and fancy life.  Here it's nature and friends.

My son attends a great college.  It's  international and aiming for the IB.

You can have a look on the following link and who knows, you might even get a job! 

www.futuro-verde.org

I suggest you make a list of pros and cons.  It will help you decide on where to stay.

Have a great day and good luck.  Gini

That was a helpful article. Thanks. I prefer working above the table. I know my choices will be more limited in CR or in a few other LATAM countries.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please refer only to the housing section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct