Mistakes expats make in Luxembourg

Hello everyone,

Did you make any mistakes when you first moved to Luxembourg? What were they?

How did you address your mistakes? Did you learn anything from them?

With hindsight, what would you do differently?

Are there any tips you could give future expats in Luxembourg to help them avoid these kinds of mistakes?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Priscilla

I made tons of mistakes. Here is what I would do differently.
1. Live in the city of Luxembourg where all the other expats live. It is worth the extra money to live in Limpertsberg, Kirchberg, Bel Air, Bertrange, Strassen, Gasperich or any other area close to the center of the city. I wouldn't live in the Gare. Do not live outside of the city.
2. Houses do not usually come with light fixtures or closets. Be prepared to purchase at IKEA or see if you can purchase from the current renter/home owner.
3. If your kids are going to go to International School, St. George's or European school, make sure you live close by. Traffic is a nightmare.
4. Learn what the road signs mean. They do not mean what you might think they mean.
5. Learn french. Before I moved to Lux, everyone reassured me that everyone speaks English. This is not true. Only a small percentage speak English fluent enough to help you. Doctors or professionals will speak English but in cafes, and shops you need to speak Luxembourgish or French.
6. If your company is moving you, only move as a contract employee. Do not move as a permanent hire.
7. Children start public school at age 3. From age 3-6, school instruction is in Luxembourgish. Age 6-8 school instruction switches to German. Then at age 8, they add on school instruction in French. If you have a child, that is 8 or older it is extremely difficult to go into a school situation where they have to learn 3 languages simultaneously. Make sure your company pays for ISL, St. Georges or European School.
8. Ask your company for names of other people/families moving to Luxembourg. If you are moving with Amazon, they will assign you someone from a relocation company. The relocation company is awful. Amazon doesn't help much either.
9. If you are going to rent, you will be required to have as a security deposit, 3 months rent. If you are under 30, you can get this fee waived.
10. For the first 90 days alot of people have a great time. Then something happens and reality hits and you question why you moved and cry alot. Expect it. It will happen.
11. It is going to be really hard. Make as many friends as you possibly can. It is what will pull you through. Realize everyone goes through this even if they are not showing it.
12. Lux is expensive.
13. If you purchase a car that is 3 years or older you will have to take it to the SNFC to have your car tested for "road worthiness". It is the worst. Make sure you go when you are assigned or you can wait all day.