Moving To Panama Yes/No?

Good Day All

My Name is Hein and i currently live in South Africa and is a Telecommunication Operational Manager ,
i am interested in moving to Panama and would like to get a real opinion some questions i have,
I have a wife and two daughters both under 10 years,

My Questions are:
1.Crime and what type of crime is there in panama - can you and your wife and children be safe on the beaches and walking in towns, and is there violant crime
2.Will i be able to find employment and is there opportunities to start your own business-and what sectors is the best bet to start a expat run business
3. Are the locals expat friendly?

Thank You in advance
Hein

Is good that you ask, i just talked to another guy from south Africa who invested $200 000 in Panama and really regret it because the business is not good and he faces a lot of challenges here. I also lived in Africa many years. Why don't you try and go to Ghana? In my opinion its much better than Panama.

I strongly advise you not to invest or work in Panama. Please do not do the mistake, despite what others may telling you. Unless you have a lot of money to play and to lose.
There are not good jobs, bad salary lots of traffic, accidents, noise. The salary averages around $800 if you have a good job but Panama is very expensive, it wont take you far and you don't find work easily. The same goes for starting your own business. Most likely the locals will not be your clients because they are completely useless when it comes to business, the only thing they do is rip you off and giving you a lot of problems.  It will be hard to find clients because the market is supersaturated with everything, you will end up losing your money.

There is a lot of bureaucracy and no way around it, you need a lot of permits, costs etc... the locals only following strictly the rules and wont help you in any way they only make everything worse. you always end up paying much money and getting nothing in return. people do not respect your time or money, Police and court always favors only the local people, court cases takes years to resolve.

Another issue is that the people are very xenophobic, they pretend to be friendly and to like strangers but in fact they do not. They mostly see you as an chance to get easy money without working. The behavior is really really bad.

You need a minimal capital of 100 000 dollar to start in panama but with family i would easily double that or you wont make it.

There is no need of technicians, engineers or any higher work in this place, most big companies bring their own staff from abroad. You may end up working in a call center for 600 dollar a month.

Please do not do the mistake for you and your family. Unless you are a millionaire. And i forgot to say, people are robbing and stealing a lot even outside of the city.

HeinS, there are some South Africans that might be able to give you some better advice because they are living in Panama right now.

facebook.com/zelna.pyper.fourie?hc_ref=SEARCH&fref=nf

I'm sorry but I only have there face book address, I hope this helps, I am moving there this year.

Hi, If you want to live in latin america with family, then i would recommend you Chile or Costa Rica because these two countries have the best infrastructure and education!!

i forgot to say, in the villages the life is different, people are more friendly and helpful (not all the villages) but still stealing a lot. You cannot live in a village, because there is no work.
To take it short, Panama is not the country where you go to look for work or starting a business. You migrate only if you made your money already or you are retired.

I agree with Technorado.  You might do good if you arrive in Panama retired and with a good pension from your country.

too many massive earthquakes in Chile
CR is expensive now

Has been for quite some time....Actually Panama is now catching up fast....In some respects Pan C. is already there and even surpassed C.R. Interior of Panama is still better......way more affordable, more tranquilo, more friendly as a rule, but that depends largely on you........but work? Good luck.........Starting a bizniss?  Good luck...........jajaja......like a boat, the happiest day of your life will be when you sell it..........

tecnorado wrote:

Is good that you ask, i just talked to another guy from south Africa who invested $200 000 in Panama and really regret it because the business is not good and he faces a lot of challenges here. I also lived in Africa many years. Why don't you try and go to Ghana? In my opinion its much better than Panama.

I strongly advise you not to invest or work in Panama. Please do not do the mistake, despite what others may telling you. Unless you have a lot of money to play and to lose.
There are not good jobs, bad salary lots of traffic, accidents, noise. The salary averages around $800 if you have a good job but Panama is very expensive, it wont take you far and you don't find work easily. The same goes for starting your own business. Most likely the locals will not be your clients because they are completely useless when it comes to business, the only thing they do is rip you off and giving you a lot of problems.  It will be hard to find clients because the market is supersaturated with everything, you will end up losing your money.

There is a lot of bureaucracy and no way around it, you need a lot of permits, costs etc... the locals only following strictly the rules and wont help you in any way they only make everything worse. you always end up paying much money and getting nothing in return. people do not respect your time or money, Police and court always favors only the local people, court cases takes years to resolve.

Another issue is that the people are very xenophobic, they pretend to be friendly and to like strangers but in fact they do not. They mostly see you as an chance to get easy money without working. The behavior is really really bad.

You need a minimal capital of 100 000 dollar to start in panama but with family i would easily double that or you wont make it.

There is no need of technicians, engineers or any higher work in this place, most big companies bring their own staff from abroad. You may end up working in a call center for 600 dollar a month.

Please do not do the mistake for you and your family. Unless you are a millionaire. And i forgot to say, people are robbing and stealing a lot even outside of the city.

Wow, you were hanging out with the wrong people my friend, as a Panamanian myself I can tell you locals are unable to hate foreigners as much as they hate other locals... except with people from venezuela, a small group of venezuelans were making the locals angry with posts in the social media. I also know many, many expats who earn  over 3000 or 4000 $ a month, some of them do freelance work.

well good luck