Driving a foreign car in Belgium

Hello everybody
I need some information regarding use of car with foreign licence plates in Belgium.  I am from Serbia and i will be working in Brussels for 6 months. I am planing to drive a car with Serbian plates in Brussels during that period. Can i do that?  Is there some limitations or some extra documents i need (insurance, registration...)
Thank you

Vladan

Hi Vladan,

As regards the registration of vehicles, a distinction must be made between persons resident in Belgium (Article 3 of the Royal Decree of 20 July 2001 on the registration of vehicles [1]) and persons Residing abroad (Article 4 of the Royal Decree of 20 July 2001).

If you continue to reside in your Member State while staying for less than six months in another EU country, you must not register your car or pay taxes in that country. Your vehicle keeps the registration of your country of residence. However, you may have to pay other taxes related to the use of your car in this country (traffic tax).

If you are staying for less than six months in another EU country and you have not registered your car, you can not lend or rent it to a resident of the host country who can not Drive only if you accompany it.

On the other hand, you can lend your car to family members or friends who come to visit you, provided they are not residents of your host country.

If you are staying in another country for more than 6 months, it is in principle your place of residence and you must register your car as soon as possible.

Thank you for your reply.
Whether this applies to Serbian vehicle too , since Serbia is not an EU member?
Kind Regards, Vladan

Good question, in that case, you have to check with your insurance company to see if they are allow to cover you in Belgium.

I have hull insurance that covers driving a car in all European countries. The car is less than a year old. Having all that in mind, and all that you wrote, i assume that it wouldn't be a problem to drive a Serbian car in Belgium for less then 6 months.

:top: