Driving Test Asse Vs Brussels

I have been living in Belgium for past 3 years, never felt the use of car. Now with a 1 year old son, I feel car(Opting for Company Car) gives you bit more mobility especially in winters.

So background done with theory and failed thrice in practical. I have done 10 hours of driving with registered school.

The first two times I did make mistakes, but for the most recent one, I found the examiner was just rude  :dumbom:

Anyhow the reason he failed(Latest Test) me was -
1 - Driving too much on right - He thought he felt scared, that at one point I could have hit the side mirrors  :/
2 - On round about didn't respect the dotted line . should have done the roundabout on right. But still dont see a reason for this.
3 - While making left, didn't give priority to vehicle coming from right, though the vehicle was > 100 mts away.

Rest he was satisfied with other things like maneuvers( No issues), blind spots, pedestrians, priority roads..etx..etc...

Anyhow I am p*ssed with this and was thinking of doing it in Asse. Lot of my colleagues( Belge Nationals) and indian friends are of the view that Brussels exam centers are quite demanding and tough and there's high chance of making it in Asse.

So just wanted to have your opinion on if going to Asse will really help or shall I go ahead with brussels and take more tests and finally it should be OK.

Your opinion is highly appreciated.

Hi,

Anyone can always say you to pass your driving test in one center or another. This will not change the fact that if the examiner has decided to say no, it will not ...

Now instead of complaining that the examiner flunk you for the reasons given, commit yourself involved and corrects these issues for the next time. Passes the test in the same center with the same examiner by showing you took his comments into account. He will be proud ...

phipiemar wrote:

Hi,

Anyone can always say you to pass your driving test in one center or another. This will not change the fact that if the examiner has decided to say no, it will not ...

Now instead of complaining that the examiner flunk you for the reasons given, commit yourself involved and corrects these issues for the next time. Passes the test in the same center with the same examiner by showing you took his comments into account. He will be proud ...

Thank you for your reply. Of course I know what my faults are/were, they were very much debatable, if the examiner would have listened to me. All my 3 attempts they simply walked out of vehicle, without giving me a chance to speak. What turned me off was my instructor and translator(From his experience) were of the view that I should have got "Reussi" instead of "Echec" in my last attempt.

If you are familiar with the Belgium driving exam, you must be aware that every time you get a different examiner and every test starts on clean sheet.

Of course there is no guarantee that I may too take 3 attempts in Asse or I may do it in first attempt. What I am looking for is that I have heard from lot and lots of people that driving in Asse is not as complex as in Brussels, so the chance of making error reduces.

I did the driving test in Brussels center and it took 3 attempts to pass :) and can very much relate to your frustration. The examiners are definitely very strict plus the traffic (plus the rash nature of other drivers on the road) in Brussels and complexity of road system (trams, bus lanes, school zones and awesome combinations of these) makes it hard not to make a mistake.

Many mistakes that may appear silly to the driver may be classified as a serious mistake in the guidelines for an examiner.

It is debatable, but not respecting lanes in a roundabout on itself can be considered a reason to fail the test :) 

Regarding giving way to vehicle from right: During the test, if you see a vehicle approaching, give way, unless you have more than ample time to pass safely. With a strict examiner, the best way is to slow down on all intersections so that you see the approaching vehicle early enough and can give way. If the examiner sees that the vehicle (which has right of way) from right had to slow down or stop for you to pass, he will mark that scenario as "fail".

Examiner not doing a discussion to the driver after the test - In my knowledge they are not supposed to (be it Brussels or any other center).

Instructors and translators are always kind to the driver, and most of the time instructors don't want you to think they didnt teach you well :)

If you are planning to do the test again in Brussels, try to pick an early morning slot when the traffic will be minimum (in winters this can play against you because of visibility issues). Idea is to avoid peak traffic timings.

Factors in favor of the driver in the Asse test center are the low traffic and less complex road system.

I dont know if the examiners are more lenient there.

Wish you good luck for the tests.

aneeshks wrote:

I did the driving test in Brussels center and it took 3 attempts to pass :) and can very much relate to your frustration. The examiners are definitely very strict plus the traffic (plus the rash nature of other drivers on the road) in Brussels and complexity of road system (trams, bus lanes, school zones and awesome combinations of these) makes it hard not to make a mistake.

Many mistakes that may appear silly to the driver may be classified as a serious mistake in the guidelines for an examiner.

It is debatable, but not respecting lanes in a roundabout on itself can be considered a reason to fail the test :) 

Regarding giving way to vehicle from right: During the test, if you see a vehicle approaching, give way, unless you have more than ample time to pass safely. With a strict examiner, the best way is to slow down on all intersections so that you see the approaching vehicle early enough and can give way. If the examiner sees that the vehicle (which has right of way) from right had to slow down or stop for you to pass, he will mark that scenario as "fail".

Examiner not doing a discussion to the driver after the test - In my knowledge they are not supposed to (be it Brussels or any other center).

Instructors and translators are always kind to the driver, and most of the time instructors don't want you to think they didnt teach you well :)

If you are planning to do the test again in Brussels, try to pick an early morning slot when the traffic will be minimum (in winters this can play against you because of visibility issues). Idea is to avoid peak traffic timings.

Factors in favor of the driver in the Asse test center are the low traffic and less complex road system.

I dont know if the examiners are more lenient there.

Wish you good luck for the tests.

Thanks Aneesh! The instructor was kind enough for a discussion. He admitted that you're driving is not offensive to road users, but not good enough to match the theory book! That's weird!

Anyhow I have decided to take a chance at Asse also. As I said, there's no guarantee, that I'll clear in first attempt, but what people who have cleared in ASSE after failing in Brussels, that Asse road complexity is nothing as compared to Brussels. (e.g. Diamant junction or streets around Georges Henri).

Hope to clear this time.

Anyway, there is one clear thing to understand is that the examiner does not have to justify its decisions to you. That you consider this to be unfair is your right, but it's reality.

Now on the other hand, I am surprised that after three years in Belgium, you still need a translator ...

phipiemar wrote:

Anyway, there is one clear thing to understand is that the examiner does not have to justify its decisions to you. That you consider this to be unfair is your right, but it's reality.

Now on the other hand, I am surprised that after three years in Belgium, you still need a translator ...

Of course, they don't have to justify, but at times, they have to be reasonable and not rational. Exams aren't free, they come with a cost and time.

I know lot of xpats who are living in Belgium for long, but doesn't speak local language. I do speak intermediate french, but that is not enough for the exam. But thanks for your suggestion anyways.

Examiners must be reasonable, but they do have very clear guidelines. The % of lenience or deviation from the guideline may differ from person to person or from center to center. They expect the driving to be 100% (+ / -) aligned to the highway code (based on which theory book is prepared).

Anyway.. Wish you good luck. Keep us informed :)

aneeshks wrote:

Examiners must be reasonable, but they do have very clear guidelines. The % of lenience or deviation from the guideline may differ from person to person or from center to center. They expect the driving to be 100% (+ / -) aligned to the highway code (based on which theory book is prepared).

Anyway.. Wish you good luck. Keep us informed :)

Thanks Aneesh. Anyhow I am giving a last try in Brussels tomorrow.

Lets Hope it clicks!

Same situation here. Brussels ACT examiners  are damn hard on minor mistakes as well. You can drive well but compared to theory book is not practical. Also now the attempts are limited to 2 then you have to do additional 6 hours of classes which costs you money and more time. 
Now there is 3-4 month waiting time to get appointment . In short you are going to spend 1 year including all delays in lessons from driving school, road test etc if you failed twice .

Any idea should I chose Asse or kontich for exam?
Thanks in advance for constructive suggestions.