Best usages and practices in Colombia

Hello everyone,

Living in Colombia means learning new ways of doing things and incorporating to your daily life unique practices.

We invite you to share unique practices, tools or methods that could also make a difference in other countries.

For instance, have you recently discovered new rules or habits regarding transportation, the environment or health in Colombia? Are there innovative and useful practices or services that make daily life simpler?

Thank you for your contribution.

Priscilla

1.  Currency:  The government is replacing the old peso bills with new bills.  However, the transition is far from complete.  Learn the meaning of mil on 50,000 peso notes -- mil meaning thousand.  The small lettering of this word can tend to confuse a first-time visitor to Colombia into thinking the bill is worth 50 pesos (several cents U.S.) as opposed to its true value -- $17 U.S.

2.  Traveling at night:  Colombia is a big place, as big as Texas and California combined.  In terms of inadequate police patrols on some intercity roads after dark, the country is too big.  Do not travel between cities at night, especially late at night, on poorly patrolled or unknown areas of the Panamerica highway or other questionable roads. 

3.  Rain:  Green areas of Colombia got that way because of plentiful rain.  Get in the habit of carrying a small umbrella or (if you can find it) a foldable plastic poncho .. for use during unexpected rain showers.

4.  Personal data:  Do not give out personal information to unfamiliar or untested individuals.  Occasionally, you may encounter someone asking where you're headed, how long you have been or are planning to be in some location, whether you own a certain car or apartment, what kind of visa you are seeking?  Giving out too much information to the wrong parties can come back to haunt you.  You do not want to give out any answer that make you appear wealthy or increases your vulnerability in a foreign land.  Don't be an easy -- or easier -- target for the occasional maldito (or, by extension, his friends) who crosses your path.

cccmedia in La Zona Cafetera

Miles & miles of patience e.g. Biblical Job....nuff said.

Withdraw money from ATM in a populated area.  I am amazed when i go to the bank with my wife that i see people flashing wads of 50 mil peso. 

Also, don't be in a hurry when going through a checkout line.

In a word, patience.  All foreigners are considered to be rich, even if you're not.  Be very private with your cash.  After paying for something, organize your change BEFORE you go out the door of the establishment.