Extending Student Visa!

Hello! My name is Johana and I am 21 years old.  I'm in the process of getting my Italian Student Visa here, in Argentina... I have already used up my 90tourist days by January and am now getting a 5 month student visa to study there(Milano) from March to end of July... I fell in love with Italy and I'm looking for a way to stay for longer than a year - Ofcourse legally. Here are my questions:

- After my 5 months of Student Visa are over, can I still extend my SV for another 90days if I want to continue studying if my 90days of my tourist visa (schengen) have already been used?
- After my Student Visa expires, can I extend my Permesso di Soggiorno for a year? What would I need to do to make this possible?
- When I have my Permesso, do I always have to have a valid Visa, along with the permesso? Which Visa would that be? Or is the permesso enough for me to stay in Italy legally?
- If I find work and they do all the paper work/contract for me after my SV expires, can I stay and do all the paper work in Italy? What paper work would I need to do exactly? Or would I have to return to Argentina to reapply for work visa?
- Should I wait on getting an extension(if possible) on the Permesso di Soggiorno (after visa expires) until after I get the Work contract? Does that mean I must stay with an expired visa for a few weeks?

All these questions come up because since I have already used my schengen visa days, I don't have any other days to fall back on once the visa expires.. It's my first time staying such a long time in another country and I would really like everything to go smoothly and planned :D

This is such an exciting process for me! Hence the questions :p If anyone who knows from experience or has studied all this, could please answer a few of these questions... I would appreciate it a ton!! 💓💓💓💓


I am not a legal expert but this is my view:

1. Student visas are issued as-is, they cannot be extended. If you need to get another student visa, you will need to do so from your country of nationality.

2. The permesso is completely different to the VISA. A visa gives you access to the country, the permesso allows you to stay. If your visa expires, you are not able to remain in the country legally, regardless of whether you have a permesso or not.

3. No, as mentioned the permesso and visa are totally different.

4. In regards this, there are a number of routes to follow. Firstly, if you go and study at an Italian university for 3+ years, you can change your student visa to a work visa. I have forgotten the link but it will appear if you Google it. If you find work and need to get the VISA sorted, you'll need to do that from your home country.

5. Personally, I'd say it will be best for you to go back to your home country and get the correct work VISA. This will prevent any bullshit you'll get for not having the correct paperwork.

Ooh. Wow, Okay! Makes sense.. I still question why I'd still need the visa if I have the Permesso di Soggiorno (which is what I need to actually stay...) But, I understand overall. Thank you so much for responding!

I'll have to disagree with a few things in rpeck's response.  While the visa is the document that allows one to enter Italy legally for the purposes of remaining for longer than 90 days, the permesso di soggiorno is not only the document that allows one to stay, but states for how long.  It is the expiration date of the permesso di soggiorno, not the visa, that determines how long one can stay in Italy.  You can extend the student permit under VERY strict guidelines, which includes proof of subsequent enrollment at the SAME university, as well a providing proof that you are a student in "good standing," meaning you have passed your classes, and all of the other requirements that were in place when you first applied.  It is possible, but very, very difficult, to change a student permit into a work permit.  Because of that, many companies will not hire a person who does not already have a work permit, but one can not get a work permit without a work contract.  It's a "catch-22" issue, which complicates the matter.  The other complication are the quotas set by Italy as to how many foreigners can be employed each year; the "window" has just opened and will close when quotas are full.


I'm not an expert on this,just want to share my experience. I'm an non eu citizen,came here with a student visa for 18 months master program. Got my permesso for study as soon as i got here. After i finished with my study i changed the permesso for study into cerca lavoro.

Not long process just take a whole day. Need to come to this place,forgot the name but looked like a student center,filled in form and wait for couple of hours to present your documents,but the most important thing is your diploma.

Then they will give you a piece of paper called stata occupazionale,and bring it to the questura to apply for the cerca lavoro (searching for job) type of permesso. If they granted you the permesso,it will valid for 1 year and will not be able to extend. You need to find a job within the validity period of your cerca lavoro permesso and change it into work permit.

But i have to say I'm not sure about what kind of diploma that's acknowledged by them to get the stata mentioned by rpeck's,for undergraduate you need to finish 3+years to get any kind of extension from your student visa and 1+ year for master program. So i don't know if the 5 months program you will enroll will qualified you to get that crucial paper to apply for your cerca lavoro permit.

Hope it helps



I just saw your post.... I had a few questions.... I am currently here in Florence studying Italian at the Scula Leonardo Da VInci. I am will be here for a year. I am curious what Master's Degree Program you attended for 18 months. I am exploring ALL options for what I might study AFTER my year here is over.



New topic