Moving from Kenya to Phillipines

Hello Everyone,

I am Kenya, planning to relocate to Manila for extended stay assignment. I have a small family that I am moving with.

For those who have moved from East Africa to Phillipines,
1) what is important to carry from Kenya/ East Africa?
2) is it better to purchase household stuff in Manila rather than to ship from Kenya?
e.g. tv, microwave, fridge,beds, beddings etc?

What would you advise??

Many thanks for your time and direction.

Hi, I am a Kenyan living here in the Philippines (Antipolo) to be exact. I am here with my family so I can help answer your questions.

1. You want to bring some kenyan food items to make your meals a little more tolerable. Bring Royco in large quantities haha, Ugali flour if possible, Ketepa tea and  Blueband to name a few. Although these items seems minor in importance after staying here for months you will really appreciate having brought them.

2. For women  - Hair salons here don't cater to our kind of hair. Bring as much hair stuff as possible like braids, oils, and so on. You will be doing your own hair. The more you bring the better.

3. Regarding household stuff, you can find here just about all the stuff you mentioned. I suggest you buy them here and they are not that expensive ( to me) compared to the cost of shipping from Kenya.

4. Lastly, there are very few Kenyans in this country well except if you will be living in Cavite near this huge Adventist university full of Kenyans and other Africans. Therefore having family around helps a lot.

If you have more questions shoot them my way.
All the best!!

Hi there!

Many thanks for your guidance.
How hard or easy is it to get house-helps in the Philippines and how much do they charge on average per month? Can they be relied up?
I have a 10 year old daughter and will be travelling a lot hence need someone to look after her while am away.

Secondly, I had been informed that I could not bring along foodstuff. Would I be allowed to bring Unga etc with me?

Thanks for the guidance!