American wants to earn additional income in Manila

Good Morning Fellow Friends:

I'm an American engineer here in Manila, QC to be exact, would like to earn some extra income in or out of my profession.  I'm a avionics, structural, electrical, and a host of other engineering type disiplines, been a building contractor, doing all the structural, electrical and plumbing work, so qualify in all those fields, and a "jack of many things", what can anyone suggest?  Thank you

Daryl,

Do you have a work permit? In all honesty, it will be very difficult to find a decent paying job as there are many qualified locals who get paid next to nothing. My driver and his wife are mechnical engineer and chemical engineer, respectively. Graduated with a uni degree but could not find a decent paying job so driving for him at Ph15k per month pays more...  They are both moving to Singapore next month to try their luck.

Don

Good Morning Don, will be applying for a retirement visa so in that, should be ok for work or freelance, I've applied for a few of these "english speaker" positions, some called back, but heard horror stories about some of them.  Was unsure which are ok, which are not.  We'll see what the week brings, should be interesting.  Thank you for your comments

hi daryl1002,

Welcome to expat-blog :)

You could try browsing or posting an ad in the Manila classifieds.

I hope you manage to find something decent and real soon!

Best of luck,
Haf

my brother in law had 2 guy come in the apartment in back of the house here to redue it for his wife to live in why he was out of country. it was 300 paso per man per day and he pay for every thing else that is good cost for him but the guys was good and back home they would make two time that per hour not day i have made money doing other thing then work i have a family that is good in what they do and they only do it as they are asked but my wife is a wedding planner and the family help so i do to by getting more work and now my mother in law is getting her own street side cafe this is what she like and i have help other family in the area get rice cheaper by getting them the 50kl bag that save them money and i make money on it too. they can only pay on the 10 and 25 so it is easy to pay it that way because the can not do it in one shot rice is $35 and i make $7 a month and i have about 16 family i do this with. they are happy and i am too. there is way to make money like my sister in law loan business so you can find way to make money and i send thing back home to sale in shop back there and it is easy to do and good money.

Robert

Daryl, you can try a local newspaper in clasiffied ads under Job Section. Yes in all honestly, even the locals cannot find a decent job especially after graduation month (March). It is better to invest and have business, you dont need a work permit as you are investor (think of a unique business). If you really want to work on your profession consider Vietnam. Goodluck!

Daryl, maybe you can go over to handlebar. They have a lot of expats there who are in the construction/project management business. The big guy can give you pointers.

[Moderated: Off topic! Please post in classifieds]

Hi Daryl,

I know a friend who needs an American national who could teach English in their language center in a part-time basis.  Their office is in Ortigas Center, Pasig City.  If you are interested to apply, kindly notify me immediately.

Thanks,
trixie andrea

if you are looking for jobs try some online site that could help you a lot in finding jobs just like jobstreet.com...
for sure ull find one.

Its not easy to find decent job with a decent pay. It is better if you were hired from home with an expatriate compensation package.

Good luck.

I have a "jack of all trades" I hire once in a while to do odd jobs.  PhP500 / day is the most I would pay him.

If you have teaching credentials, try moonlighting as an engineering professor.  Or as an English language instructor.  The don't pay much though.

Hi,
My name is Dona and I am an HR assistant for an online gaming company. Our company is looking for German, Turkish, Polish and Spanish nationals who are living in the Philippines and have an an experience playing MMORPG games like Special Force, Ragnarok, SilkRoad Online and Karma Online. We need Game Masters who will be establishing an online community, assist the online gamers and answer their queries about the game via email.

Anyone interested please contact me at this address:
[email protected] OR [email protected]

More power!

Sincerely,
Dona

Hi Dona,

Could you please post your advert in the Philippines classifieds > job section. Thank you.

Hi Christine,
Sorry about that.. I'll be now posting my ad to classifieds Philippines.

Thank you.

How much and what kind of experience in Avionics do you have? Can you get a security clearance?

There are a good number of jobs available if you want to work for a defense contractor. I have many friends here who work for Lockheed, Haliburton or one of the other big companies.

Two guys work with surveillance camera mounted to big blimps. They basically track movements of vehicles and things and provide intelligence to the military.

Another friend works as a generator technician. He works one month on, one month off, for roughly $160,000 per year. Sometimes he's in the southern Philippines, in Mindanao, and sometimes they ship him off to other countries.

The life isn't for everyone. Some of the big money jobs require you to be "on station" for 6 months, then you get 30 - 60 days off, then back on station. You might be required to go to other countries, like Iraq, Afghanistan, India or Bangladesh, etc. But the pay is fantastic :)

Have you considered online marketing? It's not terribly difficult to earn a couple hundred a month without being full-time. Getting past that point does take some serious effort and focus.

Good Morning, this sounds good, do you know where I apply?  My professional job title is Senior Avionic Engineer, but have many accomplishments.  Thank you for any assistance to hook me up to one of these jobs.

[Moderated: Please use the private message system]