Condominium or precious yellow metal for investment?

Hi members,

I have many valuable advice from the veteran here with regard to doing business in the Philippines, some suggested that I should keep my monies in the bank, some said why am I in a hurry to lose all my money and I guessed you guys are right? I better keep my monies in the bank and observe how is the market before decide again.

However, I saw a few friend of mine buying condominium in Makati and Manila area for investment. They told me it is better than putting their money in the bank which yield lower interest. I'd like to seek advise from you guy again on this matter.

I know property investment is quite stable and safe but the question is when to buy? Is this the right time to buy? Some old timer over at SG told me this isn't the right time to buy property in the Philippines because of the uncertainties in Syrian.

They say two years from now is a good time to buy when the properties market hits rock bottom when foreign investment are slowing down and expats leaving the Philippines due to world economic changes. Any comments on this? As I am looking at a few condo units in the choice area.

Another suggestion from my friends in SG is on Gold... They told me to invest on gold and hold it for four to five years. I can make some money from this precious yellow metals. I think they have a point on this but maybe you veteran have a better suggestion on this? Cos some of you guys are from America, Europe and etc and you gentlemen have much experience and exposure over in your country. Any comments on this?

I hope I can get some kind advice from the members here. Thank you.

Hi, what you are asking is a betting on the future. All your friends have a good reason to say do this or that. I'm a dilettante in this business so take care...but I would like to ask you: why Manila ? Why not the Islands ? I made an investment in an Island and you can see it in my website lecasedelpaguro.com  it could be another idea.
ciao

What is your investment return that you need? If you buy a condo for rental, then you can do the math and figure out what your yield will be. If your expecting to make a capital gain through selling, then be warned that selling is an issue and it takes quite some time and you have high cap gains taxes to pay.

Gold, non earning asset. Anyone who says to buy and hold is an idiot unless they have a lot of earning assets elsewhere. Gold is a hedge only

Hi, I've a house in Samar & Maasin in southern Leyte and both my house are quite similar to yours. All facing the sea. I loved the country and beach life as I have stayed there for a few years. But doing business there isn't a good idea cos the people there lack of spending power and they like 'utamg' credit or they don't patronize your shop.

I also have stayed in Luzon & Manila area for a few years. I've stayed in Bulacaan, Quezon City and even Pasay. Now I live in Cavite. I like Cavite cos its just outside Manila and things are slightly cheaper there. I know property in the province are very cheap but the infrastructure ain't up to date. Always have power black out if typhoon come and Internet & mobile signal sometime not strong.

But it's very safe in the province compare to Manila. Have u heard of Tagatay? Many expats lived there and it's very cooling up there. But the properties prices isn't cheap. Maybe u can visit there and take a look at the volcano.

Last time when I was staying on the Leyte region, I noticed business there are slow and I think by investing in a gas station is a good idea. How many gas station in your area? If there is only one in your area then by investing another gasoline station is a good choice.

My village only have one small gas station in a 20 Km radius do wveryone patronize this station. That Chinese owner have many business just by selling petrol & diesel. But not in Manila cos too many completion.

Now I'm looking for a good business in Manila but I need good idea from our fellow member. The things about the local people here is they don't have much idea. They are good in copying foreigner's idea. But they just copied but didn't improve or revamp it to a better idea.

I've quite a few Filipino entrepreneur friends but they don't have much innovative idea or maybe they doesn't want to share it with me..? Anyway nice talking to you and we shall chat again. Thank you.

Hi, thank you for your reply. I think you have a good point there about investing in condo and gold. I know in the philippines property market we can speculate properties. To earn capital gain for a property takes many years and unless the location are very good. Also this country country have many lands available.

As for gold, I think it's a good investment but one must have the spare cash to do it. I had invested some money in gold but that was from my spare money and not from the money I use for bread and butter. Recently I sold half of my gold share which I have kept for four years and I make some profit from it but not much. But it's still better than I put my money in SG bank which give 0.5% PA. At least I have a profit gain of 13% for 4 years investment.

This is my idea and I do not know what is your idea and I am sure you have your own way and idea. My dad teaches me that only invest 30% of my monies in business and another 30% for bread & butter and the remaining is for rainy days. That's what I am doing now. Thank you.

michael3 wrote:

Hi members,

I have many valuable advice from the veteran here with regard to doing business in the Philippines, some suggested that I should keep my monies in the bank, some said why am I in a hurry to lose all my money and I guessed you guys are right? I better keep my monies in the bank and observe how is the market before decide again.

However, I saw a few friend of mine buying condominium in Makati and Manila area for investment. They told me it is better than putting their money in the bank which yield lower interest. I'd like to seek advise from you guy again on this matter.

I know property investment is quite stable and safe but the question is when to buy? Is this the right time to buy? Some old timer over at SG told me this isn't the right time to buy property in the Philippines because of the uncertainties in Syrian.

They say two years from now is a good time to buy when the properties market hits rock bottom when foreign investment are slowing down and expats leaving the Philippines due to world economic changes. Any comments on this? As I am looking at a few condo units in the choice area.

Another suggestion from my friends in SG is on Gold... They told me to invest on gold and hold it for four to five years. I can make some money from this precious yellow metals. I think they have a point on this but maybe you veteran have a better suggestion on this? Cos some of you guys are from America, Europe and etc and you gentlemen have much experience and exposure over in your country. Any comments on this?

I hope I can get some kind advice from the members here. Thank you.

hi sir, I am Mershid I am working with one of the top condominium developer here in the Philippines (Megaworld Corporation) i see that you are interested to venture with property investment especially with condominium. investing in the bank is way different with investing in a condominium, putting money on time deposit seems like taking forever, lets say in 2M would generate you about 60k for 4 years, where as for condominium its more like 12% per annum.

and if you ask me when is the best time to buy? it would always say NOW is always the best time. why?
1. if you start buying pre-selling condominium you would gain as low as 30%-60% out by just paying a small amount of the contract price and without paying an out right big lumpsum of down payment. since its a pre-selling you can avail it at its base price, and even if its still in the preselling stage, while making your payments its value is self appreciating.

2. condominium is a boom in the Philippines, so if you thinking to get one better get one now. BUT, take note, buying is normal, smart buying is one thing, you would take good consideration of one thing.
Location, Location, Location.

there developers offering condominium at  very very low cost, and you should now, you get what you pay for.
if youre using it for long term lease, better get somewhere in the CBD area (MAKATI, FORT BONIFACIO, ORTIGAS). I wouldnt consider manila anymore because on my opinion this place is no good for investing a condo since this is flood infested area. its like throwing millions of peso in the trash.

3. If youre an investor i wouldnt suggest buying ready-for-occupancy condo unless youre using it for your own. it is better to start owning your own during the preselling stage.

I wish to discuss everything to you, and i would suggest in person or by phone so i could discuss to you further details about condominiums.
you can personal message me here or email me at [email protected]

Just remember property investment is still be the best investment even on a bad economy. as you know it, Philippines is gaining its economic growth strongly now.

and lastly, there is a saying "tempus neminem manet" it means Time waits for no one.

the sooner  you decide to have your  own, the better you gain more of your investment.

hope to here from you. and i would gladly help you out with everything.

cheers!

Hi Mershid,

Thank you for your advice and I will look into it. You said buy 'ready-for-occupancy condo' mean that I should buy those condo are already builded and I can rent it out to tenant right away?

And do you have condo units selling with tenancy contact? How is the rental market now? What is the idea type of unit best for rental, 1 bedroom or 2 two bedrooms type? Kindly advice as I have the intention to buy some next year.

I am selling some of my studio units condo in Singapore and I may buy a few units at Makati. Please tell me about this condo Torre de Manila at Taft Ave Luneta..? I like this condo because of the design and facing Manila Bay but I have heard many bad comments about this project.

Actually, I'd like to purchase a few units of condo in Ortigas area and I prefer to buy the unit with tenancy. And I don't need any financial assistance cos I don't like the bank to earn my money.

I hope I can be advise on this matter. Thank you.

michael3 wrote:

Hi Mershid,

Thank you for your advice and I will look into it. You said buy 'ready-for-occupancy condo' mean that I should buy those condo are already builded and I can rent it out to tenant right away?

And do you have condo units selling with tenancy contact? How is the rental market now? What is the idea type of unit best for rental, 1 bedroom or 2 two bedrooms type? Kindly advice as I have the intention to buy some next year.

I am selling some of my studio units condo in Singapore and I may buy a few units at Makati. Please tell me about this condo Torre de Manila at Taft Ave Luneta..? I like this condo because of the design and facing Manila Bay but I have heard many bad comments about this project.

Actually, I'd like to purchase a few units of condo in Ortigas area and I prefer to buy the unit with tenancy. And I don't need any financial assistance cos I don't like the bank to earn my money.

I hope I can be advise on this matter. Thank you.

hi sir, sorry what i meant was if you want to start your investment with condo with the preselling that ones that are about to be built, than the built condo, since this are much expensive than the preselling, as you know it, condo units appreciates its value over time.  i think torre de manila is a DMCI project, i would research on this one, like i said i really dont recommend my clients to invest in manila since this area is very much affected by flood during rainy season, i am actually im an in-house consultant under Megaworld Corporation, mainly im selling condominium in Makati CBD (Legaspi Village & Salcedo Village) and Fort Bonifacio Global City. Currently, this locations are hot with the tenancy rate since both areas are business district and alot of expatriates are residing to this areas. both areas are flood-free and and highly urbanized. normally the tenants are the ones who lives in far aas of South or North area and just want to reside closer to there workplace.

aside from the city area, i also handle projects in Boracay, Tagaytay, Cebu, and Ilo-ilo
what my country develop are mixed used township centers from Condo-Offices-Leisure Malls-International Institution all in one place, by this way we can increase more the tenancy rate. the offices that we have mostly are BPO Companies or Embassy, and also because of the international institutions normally exchange students also rents out our units.

kindly send me your email address so i could send you further details of projects that i have.

Hi,

You said  that you are in charged of the CBD area in Makati CBD (Legaspi Village & Salcedo Village) and Fort Bonifacio Global City.

1)  Please tell me which type of apartment are the easily to rent out in these areas. What I mean is the 1 room or two rooms type?

2)  For example a 1 room apartment how much rental can the owner get and also the 2 rooms apartment. Please tell me the furnished and unfurnished rental that a landlord can get?

3) If I want to invest P5M to buy a apartment, which area and location is the best. And will you be able to get me a tenant and how long you estimate you can find a tenant for me?

My purchase s solely for investment and not for owner occupied as I have a house and lot already in Cavite which I spend  quite a lot of monies on it. Thank you.

[moderated: no free ad on the forum.]

Under no circumstances invest in any condo property. There is a bubble coming maybe within 3 years. Only two year ago you could buy under 70K sqm now prices almost 130k sqm. Ridiculous. Way too much building. I have tons of property in the country but just property and fortunately much of it I bought above 46 to the dollar and there are still property/land values out there, but you would have to have a mental problem if you bought a condo now in Makati, fort bon, rockwell, cebu, etc. cheaper to rent than own and invest your principal elsewhere.

@michael3

I am not trying to sell you anything. :)

How long has it been since you were in Maasin?

I do not think there is a need for any more Gas Stations.

If you own properties in SG and are renting them out, would be better to keep them if the yield is ok. Plus the SG$ will be stronger than both the US$ and Peso. If the SG market collapses, the Philippine and rest of SEA will soon follow. They are all linked. OFW remittances are what drive the Philippine property boom.

dhnindc wrote:

If you own properties in SG and are renting them out, would be better to keep them if the yield is ok. Plus the SG$ will be stronger than both the US$ and Peso. If the SG market collapses, the Philippine and rest of SEA will soon follow. They are all linked. OFW remittances are what drive the Philippine property boom.

I agree. it would be better to have your units in SG for lease, Its passive income.

coreya wrote:

Under no circumstances invest in any condo property. There is a bubble coming maybe within 3 years. Only two year ago you could buy under 70K sqm now prices almost 130k sqm. Ridiculous. Way too much building. I get 18% on my money. check out http:// 123lendingcorp.com they lend money to OFW. very safe. Run by expat. Mention my name Corey. This is not a scam. Banks pay very little even for time deposits and are very restrictive

Hi, just to address to your comment, BSP (Banko Sentral ng Pilipinas) already addressed to this concern mid of 2012, since properties are booming in the Philippines, Our main bank is highly monitoring all finances for it, our banks wouldnt allow modes of payment that pulled down other country to have a property bubble, example: back in the days when America hit its property bubble, there banks were offering NO DOWN PAYMENT, INTEREST ONLY, well obviously thats the main cause of the downfall.
fyi, Most parts of Metro Manila and the surrounding areas are being urbanized now, which means more offices and businesses are opening up in the country, which means there is a large compensation to the properties we are offering, note, this office and business mostly are coming from foreign investors and Business Outsourcing.

And FYI, property investors both locally or foreign are very much interested with investing with us in the present, and this are not just single units, its more of bulk. how I see it? theyre projecting for the bigger investment over 5 years from now.

I would say, different countries, different market, and different needs. For us in the Philippines, everything's working out just fine. Metro Manila is fast changing and become urbanized each day. One day, our capital would be considered as one of the best Urbanized country you know? :)

Cheers!

Hi sir, we both share the same thinking as I was told by many friends of mine that the bubbles will burst soon and those who buy may be caught on a situation.

The best time to buy a condo is when the market is way down to the bottom and I think it will happen in two to three years time. When the economy is down and many expats will move out and all these condo will be empty without tenants.

What you think of the gold market? Is it worth to invest and hold it for 4 to 5 years to get a capital gain? Thank you.

With no disrespect who gives a flying crap about your central bank and what they think or do LOL. The fact remains there is too much building going on and rents cannot support the cost of money. Plain and simple! I can show you hundreds of subdivisions now where houses can't sell and these are nice places. With condos it is even worse. I am buying into a building in Makati in about the best location possible which I can own for 45,000sqm and in that building presently there are about 1/2 dozen for sale. Again I mean you no disrespect but my friend you are living in a pipe dream. You want to make a wager on it!

I mentioned in my post I get 20% on my money. Other than that I venture no opinion on precious metals or otherwise. I think food will become the ultimatum investment in time so owning cheap farm land and growing stuff could be the future. Probably takes 5 years to get a crop to commercial levels like **coffee** and coconut but can be supported with banana, corn,and other fast growing crops. The Philippines also needs good beef. Presently there is only one beef supplier of beef worth eating. Using Japanese cows grown and maintained following Japanese system.

michael3 wrote:

Hi sir, we both share the same thinking as I was told by many friends of mine that the bubbles will burst soon and those who buy may be caught on a situation.

The best time to buy a condo is when the market is way down to the bottom and I think it will happen in two to three years time. When the economy is down and many expats will move out and all these condo will be empty without tenants.

What you think of the gold market? Is it worth to invest and hold it for 4 to 5 years to get a capital gain? Thank you.

I know someone who plays in stock market, he said its better invest in silver than gold. you might want to research on it.

Gold is best used as a hedge against market downturns. Now that the Syria crisis seems to be averted, Asian markets are coming back. Also, the Fed has tightened money so interest rates are increasing which means yields increase. So there is little incentive to put money in nonyielding assets in the short-term (less than 5 years). My opinion only.

dhnindc wrote:

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

" OFW remittances are what drive the Philippine property boom. "

Yes, so true, it does drive the boom, and it is inflated, way beyond the average Philippino's ability to buy.  Something has got to give... Could be a popping bubble, I don't know what the answer may be, but it is definitively out of whack.

Also the "mall boom" is another direct result of the OFW remittances. This one, is a head scratcher, as the business community seems to think this is going to continue unabated... Otherwise why the big investments in malls.

It's a tricky environment, and to date I've been too busy working, making a living, to think... about all this at the proper level that it really demands, if one is going to invest a whole shitload of peso, to me that's 2M/3M peso shitload, in an idea, or project.

The 15M/20M + crowd, well I just tote their water for them. If I had that kind of peso, and I was coming to the Philippines to retire,';-+^,><*, [ I'd retire ] and manage my peso, it would be work enough just to do that... not put it into a (hopeful venture) and continue to run my guts out, all the while sweating out profit margins in retirement... Not!! 

Nope, doesn't sound like retirement to me.  But that's just me, and besides we can't all be great ones, (especially), not in retirement.

Hi Mr. Ramblingroad,

THank you very much for your wonderful suggestion and thoughts. I have lived and worked in the Philippines since 1995 and I have seen and experience my share of the good and bad of this country.

During the 2004 Philippine's general election, I have seem many things happened in front of my eyes. I saw people been gunned down a few meters away from my house. But those were history already.

My P15M to P20M isn't a big amount of monies which compared to many foreign expats here who prefer to be remain anonymously silent but working behind the scene.

I have spoken to a few of them thru emails and I really admire their brainy foresight and ideas. They told me which currency and funds I can invest in and which bank in the Philippines give the best interest rate in town. These are very valuables information and it help me a lot.

I am an Overseas Chinese Filipino and regardless of Chinese or native Filipino, we Asian are very hard working. We worked extended hours to earn a living for a better tomorrow. I am sure most Asian agrees with my saying.

As I have said before in my post, my dad teaches me to invest only 30% of my money for business, another 30% is for bread & butter and the remaining is for rainy days.....! So I only have P15M-P20M to spare. Thank you.

Actually, I don't only come here to retired, my retirement is only my second plan. My main reason is to come here to earn more money for my next generation to spends.

michael3 wrote:

Actually, I don't only come here to retired, my retirement is only my second plan. My main reason is to come here to earn more money for my next generation to spends.

If it's your children you're concerned for; then why not just take that 20 million and invest in land back in Singapore and when in 5,10, 15 or so years later I would think it would give a much safer return on your money...Your children could then cash it out and then let them follow their dreams of the type of business they would like to do perhaps with some guidance from you...

Not all children want to follow in their parents footsteps not even ASIANS...I saw that time and time again in Korea where I spent 11 years of my life...I have been wealthy twice in my life(P40 Million +)and I too wanted to invest to further my bankroll...That was a mistake...Down turns in the economy gobbled up 50% + of my savings which caused much stress and depression... But I picked myself up, found a wonderful woman here and am raising another family...Like Ramblingroads says: just manage what you have and live a simple happy life in this beautiful country...If you must do something to occupy yourself than do a small franchise business and if it fails you won't lose a lot of sleep over it...

Hi Sir, I guess you are right about my money. Why go thru so much risk to do business where I can put it in a Phil bank to earn interest.

If I put P20M in the bank and earned their 5% p.a I can survive on that interest. Every month I get 83K and I don't spend so much each month.

I just sold a two units of my condo in SG and I'm sure u know properties price there are crazy. I don't invest in sg again cos ill lose money if I buy again. Thank you.

michael3 wrote:

Hi Sir, I guess you are right about my money. Why go thru so much risk to do business where I can put it in a Phil bank to earn interest.

If I put P20M in the bank and earned their 5% p.a I can survive on that interest. Every month I get 83K and I don't spend so much each month.

I just sold a two units of my condo in SG and I'm sure u know properties price there are crazy. I don't invest in sg again cos ill lose money if I buy again. Thank you.

I would never put my money in bank CD's...Way to risky...Stick with land and your countries SG$...It is the top 3 currencies in the world...Pesos??? I DONT THINK SO!!!

The best investment is to put it back in your SG CPF. Guaranteed return and backed by a AAA govt.

Hi Michael! If one day you decide to buy a condo in the Philippines I suggest that you consider a preselling condo from a trusted developer, the price is relatively cheaper and if you plan to resell it I always recommend that you get the studio type. I offer condos to my clients for convenience only. Torre de Manila of DMCI turned out as one of their fast selling projects since the controversy. They are against it because it will destroy the Rizal Park sightline.

Why invest in condos? Why not on commercial properties?

Sir, in Singapore our bank interest rate for $1 to $99,999.00 is 0.35% P.A.  And here in Phil is 5% PA. You see the difference? Thanks

You do know that you can deposit your money in a SG bank that is denominated in A$ and make a better yield. Plus SG$ and any deposit held in a SG bank are safer than the Peso.  Also, provide me names of those Phil Banks that pay 5%, unless your targeting Land Bank, Development Bank, Metro, Robinsons, etc, which are risky (only Ph500k is PDIC).  BDO & BPI rates for placements are around than 1%.

Sir, I know that if the Peso goes bust and we are only guarantee P500k and the withholding tax is 20% deductible from our gains.

I was told that Bank of Makati (a rural bank) pay 5% for deposit below below 5 years fixed deposit and 7% for above 5 years. Any comments on this bank?

If I put my money in SG fixed deposit for Aust dollars I can get a better interest but also must pay tax. And to transfer money above SGD 30k out of the country is a bit problem. Thank you.

Bank of Makati - just look at there BS. 15% NPLs! P5 billion in capital, less than p1 billion in liquid assets, p12 billion in deposit liab. No wonder they will pay up to 7%, its a ponzi scheme.  We had a branch of Import Export Bank in our building, when it went bankrupt, it took over 6 months for people to get their deposits out from the PDIC.

If your over 50 y/o, should not be investing in highly speculative instruments. Now is the time to preserve capital and minimize risk.

I am not a financial investment counselor.

Try to go over mutual fund investment, particularly in sunlife..

Philippine life assurance company also offers guaranteed interest of 5% for two years.. Plus you are protected for life.. Just do some research Michael.

Sir, I think you have a very good point there as I also look at their profoilo and wondering about it. What about BPI Australian dollars time deposit? They give good interest rate also. Thank you.

Sunlife has special dollar investments.. Try to surf on their product.. Better to attach with much more expert people on that one. Sun life has also variable investments.. Just if you want, and anytime you can get back the money and invest it somewhere if you get already your target gains..

Anyway sir, I am just nearby in a gold mining and processing business but so far I don't have any interest on it.. I prefer you just buy and sell golds.. So many foreigners here buy other minerals also.

I suggest don't try on bank and rural banks.. Not just they are secured by only minimal amount.. But they offer also very low interest income subject to tax.. Instead you go on where the banks go and invest their money and let it roll over time.. Investment company.. Here in Phil's you can choose sunlife, manulife, and pro uk also are good business.

michael3 wrote:

Michael3:

"I don't only come here to retired, my retirement is only my second plan."

Well that's a horse of another color entirely isn't it! You've been writing that you want to retire... all the time talking about investing, and starting up businesses, that require lots and lots and lots of work. Making you sound a bit (wishy washy)  like you don't know if you are a-coming or a-going.

Urban Dictionary: wishy washy
1. Thin and watery, as tea or soup, insipid.
2. Lacking in strength of character or purpose; ineffective; weak in willpower.

Yes, yes, yes, I see it sitting up there in line 1. the "insipid" word... it means.

lacking flavor, tasteless, flavorless, bland, weak, (wishy-washy).

But now it's (much more clear) that; that is not the case, no sir, not the case at all. You're here... "looking for a second career". Not looking for retirement. Two entirely different entities.

OK, so another career, have you thought about or considered "chinchillas"? They were all the rage a few years back, and like all rages of style of yester-year, they are soon to be back, as "almost always"  in the areas of apparel, what's old becomes new again... usually just a matter of time. It could be big, one just never knows.

I myself would like to know more about the 5% safe interest bearing account, as with 15Mphp, that would turn 750,000php/year interest income earned, given that along with house and home, two babies, car, van, pedal tryke, and a yaya; all paid for, this translates into about 62,500php, per month, to live on. It's not so bad.... And the principle is in a safe accessible place, if one ever needed to dip into it, for say... college students who "need help" with dissertations, and the like.

62500php/month, is plenty of peso to get by on. It would be better still to earn the 5% in US-dollars, but I don't know how to do that either. But then again if I had 15M US-dollars, we probably would not be having this conversation, as managing harems and such does take up ones time, and I would be busy with other interesting things. Alas, back to chinchillas' and the peso-Million-percent-equation,

So, it seems there's been some useful information recently on this thread, I enjoy reading the business ideas, maybe this will stimulate a bit more info for those us of whom don't regularly navigate the million peso + waters. Still, the journey of a thousand leagues = 5556 kilometers, begins with the first dip of the paddle.

5% interest with a safe principal how does one go about such things....

Sincerely.

Sir, I sincerely apologize for making you and fellow member confused. I'm here to retired and I've acquired my Filipino citizenship already. My meaning of "I'm not really here to retire" means that even I am retired I still carry on working and look for good opportunity to earn some money.

We Chinese or Asian are slightly difference from Caucasian. Our meaning of retirement doesn't mean we shut down our brain or tied out hands & legs and don't work if there is a opportunity arises. We believe that even if we have a pot of gold, it will eventually finished if we don't produce done income. I'm sure some member will agree with my saying.

So whether washy or not, I am here to stay and still will look out my windows of opportunity if I am given this chance. I think I've make you and done members confused of what I'm saying. Please accept my apology on this. My old man also teaches me to be humble and always ready to apologize if I have make a mistake. Thank you.