Retiring to UK

Hello,

My wife and I are considering retiring to the UK, from the US. My understanding is that the UK has done away with the "retired persons of independent means" visa. Is there an alternate or replacement visa that can be used?

Thanks in advance.

Darren230 wrote:

Hello,

My wife and I are considering retiring to the UK, from the US. My understanding is that the UK has done away with the "retired persons of independent means" visa. Is there an alternate or replacement visa that can be used?

Thanks in advance.

This gives you all the information you need on UK visas here

All the best

Simon

Darren230 wrote:

Hello,

Thanks in advance.

Hi Darren and welcome to the Forum.

The UK retirement visa was withdrawn in 2008; although those who are still here on another visa, who were in and have remained in the UK before they closed the scheme may still apply.  It's not just the UK, many countries have closed similar retirement schemes.

Your only current option is to work in the UK for at least 5-years, then apply for indefinite leave to remain.

If Europe is your aim, your other option would be to consider moving to Spain, I believe they still have a retirement visa scheme.

Hope this helps.