Can we inherit properties in UK while not being a resident in the UK?

Hi, my mother has been living there for the last decade but she is not naturalised yet. she has a takeaway business and an apartment. i am an adult child of hers and i couldnt go to UK for immigration reasons and i still cant despite trying. since the immigration office will not allow me to become a resident in the UK, even under my mother when she gets her naturalised passport, when she dies, what will happen to her business and the apartment? will the government just take it or will they allow us to inherit and let me live in the UK?
or will they just sell it and just give us the price of the assets?

Good question, I wonder if it depends on what she puts in her Will?

Hello Topu,

Owning a property and being allowed a visitor or resident visa to UK are two separate issues.

You have not mentioned why your previous attempt to acquire a visa failed. If you were involved in a major mis declaration case then you may still not be allowed. There is a "change of circumstances" clause ie if you were denied visa for lack of financial strength, you may get the visa now. :)

We are Aussie Expats living in UK on a rentable Ancestral Visa!  We've always owned property up until relocating to live in UK in Feb, 2015 - we've rented here!  As With 2 Adult married children; 1 who lives in USA (as we relocated there in 2001) and 1 in OZ.   Neither could move into a inherited property if we died. 
So figured why buy then!  Plus Probate and Death Tax would Aldo mean they'd need to sell to pay these 2.
When we looked into it; it would have to be sold by 1 of our kids and then they'd split any profit after costs and any outstanding bills are paid.  We are here on a Ancestral Visa through my deceased grandmother having been born in Australia before Bernardo's shipped her out to Australia on a 1 way £10.00 journey! 
However, my kids can't get Visas based on their Great, Great Grandmother.  So they ain't entitled to a Visa to entitle them to reside permanently in UK.   Since Brexit things have tightened up on accepting new Visas.

I'd suggest you consult with a British Consult as well; your own to get any updated FREE facts in this matter as legal will cost a lot of money!    Good Luck; but it's a messy one?  Maybe also consult via email with a Realtor within the area your mums property is situated; as they'd be able to find you the answers if they don't know themselves.   As they've usually got access to their own Legal Team.  Their boss could find out?

Thank you so much for the answer. I was only aware of the fact that unlike certain EU countries, UK does not allow visas based on buying residential property.

Aussie Dreamer wrote:

We are Aussie Expats living in UK on a rentable Ancestral Visa!  We've always owned property up until relocating to live in UK in Feb, 2015 - we've rented here!  As With 2 Adult married children; 1 who lives in USA (as we relocated there in 2001) and 1 in OZ.   Neither could move into a inherited property if we died. 
So figured why buy then!  Plus Probate and Death Tax would Aldo mean they'd need to sell to pay these 2.
When we looked into it; it would have to be sold by 1 of our kids and then they'd split any profit after costs and any outstanding bills are paid.  We are here on a Ancestral Visa through my deceased grandmother having been born in Australia before Bernardo's shipped her out to Australia on a 1 way £10.00 journey! 
However, my kids can't get Visas based on their Great, Great Grandmother.  So they ain't entitled to a Visa to entitle them to reside permanently in UK.   Since Brexit things have tightened up on accepting new Visas.

I'd suggest you consult with a British Consult as well; your own to get any updated FREE facts in this matter as legal will cost a lot of money!    Good Luck; but it's a messy one?  Maybe also consult via email with a Realtor within the area your mums property is situated; as they'd be able to find you the answers if they don't know themselves.   As they've usually got access to their own Legal Team.  Their boss could find out?

You need to read up on inheritance tax, or give links.

Inheritance Tax is a tax on the estate (the property, money and possessions) of someone who's died.

There's normally no Inheritance Tax to pay if either:

the value of your estate is below the £325,000 threshold
you leave everything to your spouse or civil partner, a charity or a community amateur sports club
If you're married or in a civil partnership and your estate is worth less than £325,000, any unused threshold can be added to your partner's threshold when you die. This means their threshold can be as much as £650,000.

topumasum wrote:

Thank you so much for the answer. I was only aware of the fact that unlike certain EU countries, UK does not allow visas based on buying residential property.

All countries have different rules and laws. Bot all are the same.

Seek expert advise to get the correct answer?   
Anyone can own property in UK; you don't need to be a Visa holder. 
However, it restricts them to being Investors and not residents of it unless they obtain a UK residential Visa!   Got to the experts who can advise you on the correct facts!