HR citizenship

My HR citizenship was effective Dec. 7, 2016. I worked at it for six years (with some interruptions) and now I am wondering whether it was worth it (kind of). I inquired with the consulate, thinking there might be some kind of ceremony - appears not. More practically, I thought I would be given a passport or ID card. I understand that I would only get the latter if I live there, but...no passport? Apparently I have to apply for it - so, do I want it? Are there any advantages? I'm stumped because I thought that once one has Croatian citizenship, one must use one's HR passport.

Also, I bought property in early 2015 with a company that I established there and have been renting it out. I paid the awful 5% property tax when I bought it. I know that I have to pay that again (down to 4% at least) but frankly am wondering if (1) I have to now close down the company and (2) whether it isn't better to keep it for the ten years that I have amortization, and then close the company.

My other important concern is about health insurance. The person writing from the consulate made it sound like the only way I could get it would be if I am employed somewhere...

Thank you!

Hi, I can help somewhat with your questions. 

Once you have citizenship you then apply for a passport.  The passport is also not necessary unless you are living here or in Europe and only if your other passport is from a country not in the EU. 

The same applies for Health Insurance.  It is only for social medicine which can be useful but you need to live here.  If not working you can pay monthly and so be part of the system.

I have citizenship and the only benefit I found is that it is easier to own property.  It didn't help with finding work or anything else.  That is just my situation and it would be interesting to hear others. 

I have a question for you.  Why is it that you need to pay property tax again?  Is it because you are changing ownership from foreign status to Croatian status?  What and where is your business?

Hi, answers below :)

Once you have citizenship you then apply for a passport.  The passport is also not necessary unless you are living here or in Europe and only if your other passport is from a country not in the EU.
* confusing because I have read elsewhere that if one has HR citizenship, one must use their HR passport...yes, I am from the U.S.

The same applies for Health Insurance.  It is only for social medicine which can be useful but you need to live here.  If not working you can pay monthly and so be part of the system. 
* Yes, my question is not for now but instead for once I live there. The consulate only seemed to suggest that I HAD to be working to get it.

I have citizenship and the only benefit I found is that it is easier to own property.  It didn't help with finding work or anything else.  That is just my situation and it would be interesting to hear others. 
* Well that's confusing too. I set up my company and am still drawing on amortization so I dont think rental income taxes will be an issue.

I have a question for you.  Why is it that you need to pay property tax again?  Is it because you are changing ownership from foreign status to Croatian status?  What and where is your business?
* I own an apt in Dubrovnik, which I rent out. Yes, there is that mandatory pmt of 4% of the market value of the property. Confusing thing is, a lawyer there told me that that can be reduced by the amortization so I'm wondering why not just keep it in the company until I exhaust all the amortization I have the right to?

Thank you!!

Maria