Television options

We are considering a purchase at Las Olas in Bahia, EC. ( the project is finally moving along & they say fiber optics are going into each home).  So what's the story with TV. Who knows if I won't care when I slow my life down in Ecuador but right now I curious as to what kind of English stations we can get there.  Direct TV, Net Flix or other streaming TV. What do you do down there and how much does it cost monthly?

Petere52 wrote:

what kind of English stations we can get there.  Direct TV, Net Flix or other streaming TV. What do you do (and) how much does it cost monthly?

Welcome to the Ecuador forum, Petere.

Yes, Netflix is available in Ecuador .. and so is DirecTV, including the NFL Sunday Ticket.  I have subscribed to both in EC.

I have ustvnow.com with DVR recording including advance-program recording for up to about 20 TV channels and networks shown in the USA.  It's terrific.  A one-month free trial and less expensive/less sophisticated options are available.

Monthly fees are on the websites at netflix.com .. DirecTV Latin America .. and the aforementioned USTV Now site.

cccmedia

Petere52 wrote:

We are considering a purchase at Las Olas in Bahia, EC. ( the project is finally moving along & they say fiber optics are going into each home).  So what's the story with TV. Who knows if I won't care when I slow my life down in Ecuador but right now I curious as to what kind of English stations we can get there.  Direct TV, Net Flix or other streaming TV. What do you do down there and how much does it cost monthly?

The key is to have realistic expectations and all the offerings here have their limitations. I'll begin with Netflix, while it is good, it is limited in several ways. The library is not as extensive, for instance many TV shows are behind a season or 2. Gotham is still on season 2 while 1/2 of season 3 is complete already. The same with other shows like the affair. Movies are limited especially classics. But the quality (resolution) is excellent and supports 4K if you have a 4K TV and fast enough internet connection, however last time I checked it was limited to about a dozen titles.

UStvnow, is okay, but not worth it IMO especially after the initial price promotion expires. The resolution is horrible for some of the channels as they remain in SD or standard definition.

Other members here are quite creative with getting what they want through VPN. When I want something bad, I simply download it in high resolution in a manner of minutes and watch it on TV.

vsimple wrote:

UStvnow, is okay, but (the) resolution is horrible for some of the channels as they remain in SD or standard definition.

I'm using ustnvow.com mostly for news, commentary and panel-discussion shows.  I use it almost like radio -- listening to programs recorded earlier while cleaning up after a meal or doing mundane chores.  These tasks are made less boring by listening simultaneously to GMA, The Bill-O Factor, Meet the Press or Nightline.

So the fact that some of these programs' video is in Standard Definition is not an issue to me.

I like being able to pre-set the recording of programs, so I never miss Saturday Night Live, for instance.  Each week SNL's ‘cold open' is always there for me, 24-7 .. and I can skip past the stupider sketches and give attention to Melissa McCarthy skewering the White House spokesman in hilarious fashion. 

I can skip past Sunday's partisan talking head interviews with Administration falsifiers and party-line apologists .. and get a more realistic view of what's happening in Washington from NBC's panel of distinguished journalists.  I can skip Bill-O's shameless self-promotion of his new book (still not out) and enjoy Watter's World or Dennis Miller's commentary.

The beauty of time-shifting ustvnow's shows -- granted, there's an extra charge -- is that I'm never stuck with what's being televised at the moment, never being forced to choose between a godawful infomercial and storm-damage reporting ad-nauseum on CNN.  I have instant access to dozens of programs that auto-record-and-save for a month.  I can select any one of them to view late at night .. or while I'm cleaning up the kitchen on a given morning .. or whenever I have spare time.

What about when I'm not in the mood for news and commentary?  I can go to my saved-list and view a Twilight Zone episode or a late-night comedy hour.  Its a smorgasbord of programing on demand.

cccmedia

Thank you for your response.

Thank you for the response