How the DR forum works!

Welcome to everyone  here in the DR forum!  We really want to make this worthwhile and helpful to those who read the various threads.

There are various people who regularly  contribute to the information posted here.  We are ALL volunteers,  we do not get paid, we do not get bonuses, we contribute our time and knowledge because we choose to! For the most part we really enjoy the interaction and ability to help.

That said, we have opinions we express. We contribute based on our experience and knowledge and it is not always perfect!   We don't profess to be lawyers but we have lawyers on the forum!   We do our best to help, to provide accurate information but PLEASE remember we have lives, jobs,  responsibilities and cannot always get to the forum immediately. 

Be patient with all of us. Be tolerant and helpful.  Be nice to us and to each other.  WE can disagree without being nasty or mean.

And please contribute!  We value all opinions expressed in a respectful way including our own. 

Thanks in advance for posting, for asking and for contributing.

WHAT?!!  Did someone bad mouth you guys!?  Ooooh...shame on them!  This forum (especially when compared to a lot of other expat forums around the Caribbean) is chuck-full of GREAT advice...and when I ask a question:  Be it "where's a good hardware store"  to  "is the DR loud?"  or even asking about people's perception of crime?  I feel that I get sound advice and real stories.

Planner well said.

Bob K

Thanks, I  just realized that some people don't really know how it works.  Maybe we assume too much, so I laid it out there.

Not about anyone bad mouthing anyone.

Thanks from Beth! Moving to Sosua in June, and I think this site will prove valuable to me!

Hi Beth! Thanks!!!

Our names are Kyle & Robin Byrd.  We are 56 & 55 years old, respectively.  We are the Founding/Sr. Leaders of a Kingdom Culture church just outside of Austin, TX, in the USA.  We visited the DR several years ago, and fell in love with the island, the people, and the culture!  We are considering a return to the DR ... to live!  Our thoughts are anywhere along the northern coastline, between Puerto Plata & Cap Cana!  We've done some research, and it seems that many expats really like the Samana Peninsula.  We are really open to all options!

We are considering a 6 months - 1 year "sabbatical" from our church, to explore the options that might be available to us, should we decide to make such a move.  We would be able to live on a $2,000 - $2,500/month budget, over that period of time.  We are interested in engaging some experienced expats in discussions about our thoughts ...

* cost of living
* ... etc.

Welcome.  There is lots of information on this forum. Read the multiple posts as you will find most of the information you are looking for.  After reading the threads feel free to ask questions you may have.  The north coast is a great place to  live if the DR is right for you.  We have been in the Sosua/Cabarete area for 11 years.

Bob K

3 days to blast off!  Woohoo...DR, here we come!

We'll take you up on the mojito at Manny's, Tomas!

Wooo hooo

Hola everyone!
Especially Planner... thanks for everything!  Am arriving next month ... still not sure of the date but thanks to everyone whose post I read about what to bring and what not to bring.  Lived there years ago but of course things change.... and my circumstances have changed too.  Just rambling here .... nothing much to add today. 
Getting so excited  but having trouble purging!  Never thought I was a hoarder :)
PS: Planner - Spoke to a Dominican friend who thought my healing practice might not be a bad idea for locals and gringos alike.  But she did suggest I stick with adults!!! :)
Hasta luego gang .....
Malinalli

Welcome to the forums and thank you! We look forward to your future updates and contributions!

Hi Malinalli

Welcome to DR again.  If you're coming to Santo Domingo I know a fluent bilingual taxi driver named Jose who could help you get situated.  I've been here for 3 1/2 weeks and he helped me tremendously.  BTW, can I ask what your healing practice consist of? 

Earls

Hi .. I'm actually moving to Puerto Plata for now.... but might end up in La Capital at some point. 
I am also a Wellness Consultant as I have lead meditation classes and am an expert in the "Relaxation Response" therapies.  I work with high quality therapeutic grade essential oils for health and healing.  Have 15 years experience.  Am also a Certified Hypnotherapist to assist with healing traumas, smoking cessasion, and other addictions.  Might come in handy for some in the DR ... huh? :)
Hasta la vista for now....
MMM

Oh ok...youre going to be in Puerta Plata.  Everything i read about is seems perfect.  Gotcha.  Young Living or DoTerra?

WOW ... I love doTerra!!! 
Used and worked with Young Living for years but I find that doTerra resonates with a much higher energetic frequency!  I am also a Reiki Master and holistic therapist/energy worker.
MMM

Ok I was thinking along these lines when you mentioned the healing arts practice.  Enjoy your trip.  In some ways, I feel like i fit right in DR perfectly.

So which do you use?   Young Living or doTerra?  And how do you know about them?

I know I fit in the DR!!!! 
I already lived in the DR for almost 5 years!  I love the place and it will always feel like home to me!

What were your experience like I. Sosua

This thread seems to have strayed off the 'How It Works ' part

A question -
I have signed up - have posted

Now I ask what 'Subscribe ' is....
I have been been solicited to subscribe

What will that do for me ?.... I f I may ask.......

If you "subscribe" to threads you get notified on each comment.

If you "subscribe" to threads you get notified on each comment.

Thank you Miss...

A bit off topic but may help some our single boys out there..

Are you aware of the subtle difference between 'Senora' & 'Senorita'
Aside from marital status ?

Isnt it about age and marital status? Enlighten us honey! Lol

More subtle

It's am indication of.... desirability....

Una Senora might be calling her ‘over the hill'
Has nothing to do with children, husbands, nada

Desirability is the word I guess
Beyond attractive.... friendly....

Senora can get you in trouble with a 40 something...

Get my drift, SnowFlake?

Hahahaha. That was good.

Hi Bob, my name is Pamela. I'm looking to transition to DR soon and would love to talk to you and your wife. Would that be possible? My email is ***

Thanks!

Pamela

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

We don't allow posting of personal contact info on a public forum.  Once the email is removed your post will appear. 

Also you can use the private message feature.

Thank you:)

Hi there, what a great forum! I've been reading a few articles, very helpful, thanks!

Not sure where to post this, if someone could please guide me a bit, it would be much appreciated. I've been to Punta Cana a few times and I'd like to live there for maybe 1 year. I more or less know where to look for a place to rent. What I still need is to figure out where or how to buy a small used car and what to do with it when it's time to return to Canada. Can I keep it somewhere so that I could use it again when I return to Punta Cana? Are there better ways?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forums. Honey you will be coming on a tourist visa.  That will expire in 30 days and then you will be in an overstay situation. That is not a huge issue. You will pay an overstay fine at the airport when you leave.

In that situation you will not have a legal drivers license.  Buying a small car and driving it will be a risk!

I suggest you find yourself a good Taxi driver you can negotiate with and or use public transit honey.

Thank you for the reply :) I was thinking of staying on a Resident Visa, but not 100% sure. I sent their embassy an email asking what type of visa do I need. I'd like to move to DR eventually (hopefully sooner than later haha). This would be like a test drive maybe.

Also, if you need something that you can't find in the DR, do you ever go to Miami or some place close to say go to Costco or whatever to resupply and then fly back?

Honey we have most everything available here.  We have Pricesmart which is like costco, 

Its too costly to fly to Miami for most things when they are readily available here or we use a mail forwarder for buying smaller things.

Residencia - go to the thread: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=385083

Start reading honey!

¡Gracias! I'll start reading :)

siempre honey.

Hi All,

My name is Michelle. Looking forward to arriving in DR in a few weeks for a test drive of life there. Have already been avidly reading different threads about residency and work options and  still have a lot of questions - just wanted to say a big thanks to the organisers and regular contributors of the forum - really helpful advice esp Planner.

Thanks honey.  Get reading and asking questions so we can help even more!   

and you are very welcome....

Are new members vetted before joining?

I ask this question because a poster posted ten or so posts last night with a screen name name of anglo/latino content yet states she/he is from Vietnam.

Planner rightly raised a question of the posters whereabouts and I understand her reluctance to take any review action immediately.

Why does the occassional poster give questionable information in their profile? ( I excuse the British guy who couldn't find UK or GB to post his nationality - the options are England, Scotland, Wales as I recall so he clarified why he chose Russia instead being the country of his future wife). This is not the first case.

The terms and conditions require we update our profile annually and surely we need to be correct in what we say? More importantly correct from the start such that as an expat community we can feel confident in that we are not responding to a time waster or spammer.

Now if Stacey is from Vietnam, she can enlighten us more and explain a bit more of her whereabouts and name choice and reasons for wanting to relocate to DR, so we can respond to questions in confidence. I don't think 'Hi guys' tells us much in her introduction.
As I understand it no one is vetted or verified unless there becomes a reason to do so.