Long Weekend, happy Chinese new year. 2017

Chinese New Year celebrations in Jakarta is quite safe despite political pressure on their already high enough, this proves that the state guarantee the security of minorities
Post your chinese new year celebrate please.

When I lived in the UK I did a lot for Chinese new year, mostly because I worked with a lot of Chinese communities setting up shows and a lot of karaoke stuff.
The latter was great work and easy to get as there were so few people able to understand the requirements, have the ability and equipment and (a sad note) weren't racist fools who refused to work for Chinese groups.
The latter was pure stupidity as they lost a lot of cash, totally failed to meet a bunch of nice people, and missed out on a load of free delicious food. Very silly.

CNY here is less of an event for me as other priorities have to come first, mostly my family; however, we did pop off to a shopping centre we knew had celebrations planned and we did make a point of eating a Chinese meal - less of a celebration and more of a tipping of my hat to the event.

I was pleased to see so many people who were clearly not Chinese enjoying the lion dances and other events laid on, proving the vast majority of people here don't follow the bigoted stupidity expressed by a couple of minority groups.

Unity in diversity is more than a motto, it's absolutely essential for Indonesia.

Hehehe,, nice story Fred.
Indonesian people should learn and continue learning so how to put it above all the diversity of races, when Nelson Mandela was already laying the foundation that the differences of race and skin color is an issue that needs to be socialized to all human beings in this world.

Nice idea but a lot of powerful people see cash in hate, and they have the ability influence thinking amongst sheep. Those will low self esteem or issues they can't cope with tend to see spreading hate as a way to make themselves feel better, but it never works because they remain whatever they dislike about themselves regardless of what they do.

All we can really do is voice our rejection of hate and hope we can influence opinion as much as possible.

Sila ke 3 - Persatuan Indonesia

I went to a family gathering in Depok which was dull. Not being Chinese and living in a predominantly Islamic part of the city with my wife and family who are from Java, Chinese new Year is always a welcome respite from working and so we treat it as thus.
In fact one of great things about Indonesia is the amount of public holidays which can add another 10 days off my working year which is nice.

I like Indonesia's take on public holidays.
We enjoy a lot of shorter breaks that are spread out as the year goes on, but the summer break is cut a little to make up the time.
Other countries would do well to look at Indonesia's system.

Chinese new year is a smaller holiday in the Indonesian calendar, but a welcome one ... and I really enjoyed my sweet and sour chicken - Bonus.

"I like Indonesia's take on public holidays."

I think we are still the only country in the world that celebrates the New Year as a full on public holiday four times a year...Jan 1, Chinese New Year (thanks to Gus Dur), Muslim New Year, and of course, Nyepi...the Balinese New Year.   

"Other countries would do well to look at Indonesia's system."

In particular, they might want to look at the Balinese "Day of Silence" aka, Nyepi Day. 

I've always thought of it as John Lennon's dream "Imagine" coming true...albeit, only for 24 hours.

Thank you for your positive response, sometimes we do get a warning when the tolerance is not respected, we believe that peace will always be there when we want to work on tolerance and religious diversity. Peace is wonderful if we respect each other, I love Indonesia, We Love I ndonesia, Indonesia is a country that is peaceful, peace-loving states

They should have a day of silence, monthly. I would be well in favour of it.

lukereg wrote:

They should have a day of silence, monthly. I would be well in favour of it.

Can we have one every day for Don T, please? :D