What Is Your Experience On What Belizeans Think of The USA&Americans?

The Emperor of Belize: http://amandala.com.bz/news/emperor-belize/

The above Editorial prompted me to start this thread. :)
In keeping with the subject title of this thread, let me start this off with my impressions.

In my relatively short total time in Belize, the impressions I get from my Belizeans friends and acquaintances are mostly favorable towards Americans, and mixed about America itself.

Several lived and worked in the states for years then returned to Belize after retiring. Two were in the US Military  and returned to Belize upon retirement.  One of my good friends, a successful businessman has a Son currently in the US Navy, and could not be more proud of him. I have  run into several folks with relatives that have been living and working in the US for years. All in all my impression has been on a personal level that Belizeans currently look favorable on the USA.

Good Morning, I have heard the US being called Babylon. In the context she used it in we are wicked.
Color does make a difference. I am not racist having lived with a dark skinned girl in a neighborhood where I was the only white. Belizeans belive white equals money. Beggars will hit you up constantly; this maybe due in part where I lived. Same holds true for dealers, and prostitutes. A white person will also get chanced (ripped of) more often. One girl told me whites bring money, but still don't like them.
Most Belizeans are friendly, helpful, and easy to get along with. Even though Belize is an English speaking country (kind of) we are of two different cultures, and forms of governing.

Af=greed, the whole "white privilege" thing definitely comes into it. I carry myself a bit differently than most as I have spent a lot of time in Mexico. I have many friends up there but I think your assessment is spot on. I felt an air when I was there but again I was with my mother who is 60, so right there I was a tourist (even though I am well traveled) which kind of annoyed me but I get it.

on one of my trips to Belize  I walked out of BZE and saw a very elderly black man sitting on the bench next to the door and he was wearing an Obama cap.  That image spoke volumes to me about Belize's colonial past.  I have found all Belizeans no matter the color to be among the most friendly people I have ever met.  There are an estimated 30,000 to 100,000 Belizeans living/working in the US with remittances playing about a $11 million dollar role in Belize economy. Miami, New Orleans and LA have communities that celebrate Belizean holidays so the US is well known to Belizeans not to mention the tourist cantact.

Interesting comments, and I understand what you two have described having felt that elsewhere in the world.  I am wondering if the difference in our experiences in Belize is regional.  Perhaps age....dont know... Kevin, your Mom would be a young chick compared to me.  :)

Now I know I will never totally fit in, and might pay the gringo price if I am not careful. I have had discussions with one Black  American Gal working in Placencia that was amazed when she first arrived and is very pleased with how the different cultures get along, and she was really outspoken about race relations.  :happy:   

In retrospect I did see some of that during the 3 days I spent in Corozal. But not in  Orange walk, in the three days there, it was a wonderful experience, even had three young men bail me out of my own stupidity when I locked the only key to the rental car inside. They overheard me telling my girlfriend what I had just done and offered to try to help. They each tried various things and it took about half an hour before one got it unlocked, so I knew they did make a habit of breaking into cars. When I tried to pay them for the help, they refused and would only let me buy them a Belikin as we chatted for another hour.  In Belmopan it felt different but that was in associating with a few expats and other non-Belizeans.

In other areas of Belize I visited,  I never felt what you two described.  Now I have never been into Belize City... 
Placencia Village where I live part time is the friendliest place i have ever been, and as an airline employee since 1966 (now retired) I have traveled to a lot of places.

The problem with generalizations is that they are generalizations.  There are always exceptions and variations to everything and I think that's just as true in Belize as it is here in the US you will find both blacks and whites that teach their children to hate the opposite race and you will find both blacks and whites who love the opposite race. I do think in general that most people of whatever race in Belize do get along very well. I also think that given a lot of the types of festivals in Belize that diversity is celebrated there.

Will The Old wrote:

Interesting comments, and I understand what you two have described having felt that elsewhere in the world.  I am wondering if the difference in our experiences in Belize is regional.  Perhaps age....dont know... Kevin, your Mom would be a young chick compared to me.  :)

Now I know I will never totally fit in, and might pay the gringo price if I am not careful. I have had discussions with one Black  American Gal working in Placencia that was amazed when she first arrived and is very pleased with how the different cultures get along, and she was really outspoken about race relations.  :happy:   

In retrospect I did see some of that during the 3 days I spent in Corozal. But not in  Orange walk, in the three days there, it was a wonderful experience, even had three young men bail me out of my own stupidity when I locked the only key to the rental car inside. They overheard me telling my girlfriend what I had just done and offered to try to help. They each tried various things and it took about half an hour before one got it unlocked, so I knew they did make a habit of breaking into cars. When I tried to pay them for the help, they refused and would only let me buy them a Belikin as we chatted for another hour.  In Belmopan it felt different but that was in associating with a few expats and other non-Belizeans.

In other areas of Belize I visited,  I never felt what you two described.  Now I have never been into Belize City... 
Placencia Village where I live part time is the friendliest place i have ever been, and as an airline employee since 1966 (now retired) I have traveled to a lot of places.

I would think taking a half hour would suggest they are not experienced at breaking into cars.

Our experience of living outside of bullet tree is there is that the majority of American ex pats do not mix with locals except when hiring..they live in their own little world and I wonder why people come to live here at all, I guess its the cheapness.  Honestly thinking many Americans here do not mix generally with people of colour in their own country so why would they behave differently here . Belizian workers have spoken openly to us complaining they are treated like second class citizens, also on occasion local guys have not been paid wages earned. We have witnessed racism towards locals in this area and again  we  will not tolerate that behavior. Locals are  unable to access the Mopan river because Americans have claimed the 66 reserve as their own, so when they want to fish they are prevented by hostile behaviour, so overall there is an underlying resentment towards Americans this side of Belize based on they way local people are treated. Money talks in all walks of life so when  people are called to account they pay their way out.

Good Morning,  I lived in a gated expat community where what you say is true. I also lived in Punta Gorda where I was one of only a few whites. Very nice friendly people, I really enjoyed it. I also bought from the road vendors, rode the buses, and interacted with the locals at all levels. I believe that makes a difference.

I think I've told this story before but on one of my trips to Belize I walked out the front door of BZE and there was a gnarled wizened old black gentleman sitting on that bench he had anObama cap on that should tell you all you need to know about race relations in Belize

A little off topic here, but I'm wondering why, just because somebody could retrieve your keys from your locked car, that you would immediately jump to them making it a habit to break into vehicles?  Maybe they've locked their keys in the car, maybe they drive a tow truck?

I guess I need to know more, because I don't understand? What is it you are trying to point out?

I think that's called profiling

Cochise, I was referring back to the comment the individual made about being helped by some people to retrieve his keys from inside a locked car.  I was trying to do the reply right under his comment but this forum doesn't seem to support staged comments.  Instead all comments are presented linearly.  I also tried to delete my comment but was unable to do that as well.

wmiller77 wrote:

Cochise, I was referring back to the comment the individual made about being helped by some people to retrieve his keys from inside a locked car.  I was trying to do the reply right under his comment but this forum doesn't seem to support staged comments.  Instead all comments are presented linearly.  I also tried to delete my comment but was unable to do that as well.

I have read that the locals are very friendly and helpful when needed. I can't understand is how an American going to Belize distant themselves from the locals and treat them badly.  It would be fun to mingle to be part of the culture. If they are racist, most obviously, they wouldn't be going to Belize.

Hola, I have found it strange as to why white people want to move to Belize if they don't like people of color? Also remember the  white folk haven't done Belize many favors, and you can understand some of thier resentment.  That being said, Costa Rica 3/7, got to love it. Lol

Cochise8933 wrote:

Hola, I have found it strange as to why white people want to move to Belize if they don't like people of color? Also remember the  white folk haven't done Belize many favors, and you can understand some of thier resentment.  That being said, Costa Rica 3/7, got to love it. Lol

Costa Rica 3/7? That would be another nice country to retire in.

I have to disagree you might want to look up how many Confederates move to Belize after the American Civil War another thing you might digest is that something in the range of 40% of expats move back North so thinking things through is not always something expats are able to do

My, have any relationship to Kelly Ann?

Are you addressing that to me

wmiller77 wrote:

A little off topic here, but I'm wondering why, just because somebody could retrieve your keys from your locked car, that you would immediately jump to them making it a habit to break into vehicles?  Maybe they've locked their keys in the car, maybe they drive a tow truck?

Seems old age is getting me, I reread my original post three times before I saw the problem, I left out the word NOT,The line should have been,"They each tried various things and it took about half an hour before one got it unlocked, so I knew they did not make a habit of breaking into cars."
Dang I hate it when I do something that stupid.

For the record MY experience in Belize and with Belizeans has been great, I have a small house in Placencia Village, where I spend about half the year.  I interact with, chat with, go to church with, help and have been helped by locals, expats, tourists, and once chatted with First Lady Kim Barrow not knowing who she was at the time. I have driven to many other areas, and overall the only folks that I have found unfriendly in Belize, were NOT from Belize. I realize some folks have different experiences, possibly a reflection of how they treat others.

"They overheard me telling my girlfriend what I had just done and offered to try to help. They each tried various things and it took about half an hour before one got it unlocked, so I knew they did make a habit of breaking into cars. "

I suspect the part about you knowing they make a habit of breaking into cars is the comment in question.  My ex son in law bought and sold cars for a living so "breaking" into cars he had just purchased at auction was part of the gig.

The  problems with discourtesy I have seen Belize has only ever come from Expats towards the local population.  One often sees rudeness and irritation toward those just doing their jobs. No business in Belize HAS to take American dollars in payment, and not every small business can change $100 us bills for a $10 bze breakfast. Being polite to those serving you costs you nothing but can improve the day for all around.

I do not know if many people use  those big collection Bins you see on shopping plazas,  asking for your old clothes. Many assume that their nice things go to a charity, and  possibly end up in Places like Belize.  WEEEEELLL That is Half right lots of these items find their way to Belize.  And some things start off as  charitable gifts.

These are not CHARITY Bins. All those goods  from the bins are sorted and the good stuff is  bundled into Bales  by weight and quality grade then these are SOLD to 3rd world countries, and middlemen sell them to the local communities  through local clothing stores. You have probably seen them in San Ignatio or Belize city. They ARE sold cheaply and are popular.

Times after big events in the US  this system is often used with REAL  donations  of whole bales of T shirts and campaign clothing with  Political slogans and affiliations of all parties. Last month a  Belize friend commented  was hoping the 2016 campaign t shirts arrive before the main summer holidays so they  children can have something they can get dirty in.
This explains some often oddball messages being worn by Belizeans.
Sometimes a  tee shirt  is  just a cheap  play item or baseball cap is just an inexpensive   sun hat that fits. Making any assumption  of a person by what is written on their  clothing in Belize is  even  very much less likely to be accurate than it is in the US

Please don't feed the Trolls:

https://blog.hootsuite.com/how-to-deal- … ial-media/

I just want to remind everyone that politics is forbidden fruit here. I know it's tempting, and I am passionately political, but this isn't the place. I think race relations is relevant to the topic, but it is best if we keep our opinions of Obama, Trump, republicans, and democrats to other forums.

That said, I think many things are true here. Belizeans are, by and large, very friendly and welcoming. I think most Belizeans like most people from the US. Of course they don't like all. I don't like a lot of people from the US. I'd say I like most Belizeans but not all. And I think there are some really important and valid points here about people coming down from the US, isolating from locals, complaining about customs, culture, government, whatever, then wondering why people are rude to them. I had an expat tell me that Kriol was just poorly spoken English. My jaw hit the floor. That's so disrespectful. I see a fair amount of entitlement from expats. I see a fair amount of ugly American. And I see a fair amount of wealth flaunting. Don't wonder at the resentment.

And for the record, there are a whole lot of people here who don't like people of color. There's a former grand wizard in San Pedro. There seem to be quite a few people here who come for the lax regulations, lax enforcement, low property taxes, and laid back life. They don't necessarily come because they love Belize or Belizeans. Sad but true.

Soooo, back to what Belizeans think. Behaviors and attitudes of people from the US are relevant. Please stop the personal attacks. If you believe someone is violating the rules of the forum, you can contact a moderator. No need for name calling.