Studying in Russia

Hello everyone,

Would you recommend studying abroad in Russia?

Every year, 4 million young people from all over the world choose to study abroad for one semester or a full academic year. Would you encourage them to come and study in Russia?

In your opinion, what are the most prestigious colleges and universities in the country/area? Are these free of charge? If not, are tuition fees expensive? Are there many foreign students enrolled in these schools/colleges/universities? What is the main language of instruction at the university?

Thank you in advance for sharing!
Priscilla

Absolutely, having lived both in the US and in Russia I'd say it would be an invaluable experience for any student. The two educational systems are quite different from each other. I won't go into the details here since I covered this in a post on my blog here.

Second, visiting another country not just Russia enriches ones' International perspective. Something that will be appreciated later in life. But as for Russia and Russians, having the ability to see this country, it's people and culture will help students understand that we are more alike than dissimilar. On a personal note I'd say instead of forced inscription every able bodied student should be compelled to serve as a good will ambassador to another country. I suspect this would end many political conflicts and bring the world closer to peace.

Thirdly, because the educational system in Russia is quite different it would give any student coming to study in Russia a broader knowledge and understanding in their respective fields. This knowledge would also be cultivated by gaining a new language as well.

Summing it up I'd say to any student considering this possibility to go for it, honestly what do they have to lose. Nothing! The rewards would be huge and the gained friendships would last a lifetime.

I think studying abroad and Russia to be precised is not bad after all. Their educational system is great and with a little push one can graduate, well equipped with the needed skills for any role associated with their area of studies. The language, one can say, can be a barrier but with a lot of practice it shouldn't be a problem. So on the whole, study in Russia, i will definitely recommend to my fellow applicants from around the world. Can't say the same for other countries. Never been there.
You heard about racism in Russia??? Well it's just like any other country. Racism exist everywhere in the world.

For most scholarship students, it is in Russian they study. But for private student (self sponsored) english can be an option.
Tuition fees are relatively expensive. For the presence of foreigners, yes there are a lot of foreigners.

1    Moscow State University   
Moscow
2    National Research University Higher School of Economics   
Moscow ...
3    St. Petersburg State University   
Saint Petersburg
4    ITMO University   
Saint Petersburg
5    Novosibirsk State University   
Novosibirsk
6    Bauman Moscow State Technical University   
Moscow
7    Tomsk State University   
Tomsk
8    Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology   
Moscow ...
9    Peter the Great St.Petersburg Polytechnic University   
Saint Petersburg
10    Tomsk Polytechnic University   
Tomsk
11    Southern Federal University   
Rostov-on-Don ...
12    Ural Federal University   
Yekaterinburg
13    Russian Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, Volgograd branch   
Volgograd
14    Kazan Federal University   
Kazan ...
15    National Research Nuclear University MEPI   
Moscow
16    Siberian Federal University   
Krasnoyarsk
17    South Ural State University   
Chelyabinsk
18    Peoples' Friendship University of Russia   
Moscow
19    Far Eastern Federal University   
Vladivostok ...
20    Moscow State Institute of International Relations   
Moscow
21    Finance Academy under the Government of the Russian Federation   
Moscow
22    Lobachevsky State University of Nizhni Novgorod   
Nizhny Novgorod ...
23    Vladivostok State University of Economics and Service   
Vladivostok ...
24    Novosibirsk State Technical University   
Novosibirsk
25    Moscow Aviation Institute   
Moscow
26    Voronezh State University   
Voronezh ...
27    Russian State University of Oil and Gas   
Moscow
28    National University of Science and Technology "MISIS"   
Moscow ...
29    Chernyshevsky Saratov State University   
Saratov
30    Moscow Aviation Institute   
Moscow
31    Russian State University for the Humanities   
Moscow
32    Belgorod State University   
Belgorod
33    Ulyanovsk State University   
Ulyanovsk
34    Northern (Arctic) Federal University   
Arkhangelsk ...
35    Ogarev Mordovia State University   
Saransk ...
36    Tomsk State University of Control Systems and Radioelectronics   
Tomsk
37    Plekhanov Russian Economic University   
Moscow
38    Altai State University   
Barnaul
39    Perm State University   
Perm
40    Samara State Aerospace University   
Samara

As a Masters student of applied International Journalism at the Peoples' Friendship University of Russia, all i can is that i made the best decision to come to Moscow  to study. It has been awesome, I must confess. So if you ask, I will gladly recommend people to come study here.

Thank You.

It seems that getting a student visa is quite easy. The Federal Migration Service should be your contact.

ricklic, you say that it is possible to study in English. Do all universities propose that kind of option?

In terms of differences between the US and Russia, the main ones, for me, are the following:

- notetaking are compulsory
- Parents are involved in their children's academics
- Final exam accounts for 90% of your final grade...more stressfull
- Students from different class years do not mix each other
- Books are free at universities' libraries
- Russian students tend to help each other more

Well from the universities i know so far. I am now at the Russian University of Economics and yes, learning in English is possible. And i know most schools do same.

It's great to hear that you gonna study in Great Motherland, it gives you fundamental education in any science and teach how to overcome biggest problems, if you need practice russian, try this one  http://russian-language-school.com/en/k … oup-course