New members of the Dominican Republic forum, introduce yourself here – 1st quarter of 2017

DR properties is the builder/manager of Casa Linda, Villa Marinas, and Bayrock oceanfront condos.  Look on drproperties.ca and it lists their communities.

Drproperties.ca are realtors I used then to help me with my property

How well did they work with you?

Great they are from Canada and know there stuff contact Colleen

Is Casa Linda a good community to live in?  I will be visiting in November and want to check things out.  Are the stores/shopping close by?

Welcome to the forums. Feel free to ask your questions in the various threada and open a new one whenever needed.

Amigo GDP per person is 5k a year. Also, you meet the requirements to live in DR. I submitted my Visa and got it and one of the requirements  was that I had a minimum  entry of $1500 US Dollars a month. I bought a piece land w 4 bed 2 baths gazebo, ranch for the worker and also ranch for animals for 94k😉

From what I've read on the blogs you and Bob are a wealth of information.  I am planning on retiring in a few years and am looking at Casa Linda.  Do you know much about this community?

Dont know about them I'm  moving to Monte Plata middle of the island

Hello all!

I am not an expat (yet) but my goal is to purchase a property in the next 1-2 years as a vacation home. I am trying to learn as much about D.R. as I can. Thankfully I found this awesome website to help along my journey!

Is anyone familiar with the financing process in D.R.? Is it similar to that of the U.S.? I read somewhere that the interest rates are not fixed after a year-which is scary!

Thanks in advance,
Feven

Welcome to the forums.  Financing -  not easy here....  start reading and ask questions in the appropriate threads, or create one.

Quick reminder - let's keep this is an intro and welcome thread!   Open a thread for discussions or ask in the appropriate places. Thanks all.

Sorry about the faux pas but appreciate your feedback. I am getting familiar with the site.

Thanks!

Awesome!!!!!

Welcome all.  Yes let's keep this thread for introductions and other threads for in formation.  I will answerer questions asked above in other threads.

Bob K

Hi all. I'm planning on moving to cabarete in October from the us. I would love anybinfo about the best shippers to use and any info about what people do about getting their mail from the us delivered to the dr. Thanks very much

Welcome to the forums.  Both your questions have been covered.  Best to start reading, then ask your questions in the appropriate threads.

Cant find something - start a thread! 

Your adventure is just beginning!

likewise, anyone know of apartment in colonial zone of capital or puerto plata in the us 250 300 month range please let me know

AGAIN this thread is the welcome thread. Please post where appropriate!

Hello everyone,  Newbie here checking in. I reside in the US.  I am in the early stages of planning my move to DR.  I have lived and worked in the Bahamas before, so very familiar with island life. DR has been my favorite vacation spot :heart: 

I am looking forward to the exchange and learning from others experiences.

Cheers!

Welcome to the forums!!! We are all here to help each other..  it will be interesting to hear how things are different on this island!!!

welcome, hope you like it

SoleilChica welcome. Lots of good information here.  Read the multiple threads on moving, living and customs here.  Please feel free to ask questions and keep us posted on your progress.  Where are you considering moving too?

Bob K

Our names are Kyle & Robin Byrd.  We are 56 & 55 years old, respectively.  We are the Founding/Sr. Leaders of a Kingdom Culture church just outside of Austin, TX, in the USA.  We visited the DR several years ago, and fell in love with the island, the people, and the culture!  We are considering a return to the DR ... to live!  Our thoughts are anywhere along the northern coastline, between Puerto Plata & Cap Cana!  We've done some research, and it seems that many expats really like the Samana Peninsula.  We are really open to all options!

We are considering a 6 months - 1 year "sabbatical" from our church, to explore the options that might be available to us, should we decide to make such a move.  We would be able to live on a $2,000 - $2,500/month budget, over that period of time.  We are interested in engaging some experienced expats in discussions about our thoughts ...

* cost of living
* ... etc.

Welcome.  There is lots of information on this forum. Read the multiple posts as you will find most of the information you are looking for.  After reading the threads feel free to ask questions you may have.  The north coast is a great place to  live if the DR is right for you.  We have been in the Sosua/Cabarete area for 11 years.

Bob K

Hi there,

My name is Najla, and I am new to the forum. We were living in China for the past 6 years, and now finally back to the US. However, hubby and I are considering living here in DR for a while. He came to work in Santiago, but logistically it makes more sense for us to be here as a family than traveling  to and from the States. We have two babies and they are already engaged in daycare here, also learning spanish, their fourth language:). This is such a helpful website and I am just glad I got to be part of it.
Thank you

Hi,
  My Name is GLS2163 and I am looking to move to the DR. I am retired and I am looking for a relaxing and enjoyable area to retire in. Hope to see you soon.

welcome to you both,  lots of great info on here,  just start reading and asking questions!

Welcome to  you two.  Lots of good folks here with lots of information.  Read, read and read some more of the multiple threads here and feel free to ask any questions you may have.  I look forward to your future posts.

Bob K

Welcome to the post. Bob K I will post my adventures when i get internet in my house

Hello everyone! I'm a Canadian gal in a relationship with a Dominican man. I am seriously considering buying some property in  LA Romana within the next several months. Our plan would be to live in DR for 6 months and Canada for 6 months. He is in the process of opening a clothing boutique in Villa Hermosa which would support us while in the DR. I would resume my work as a nurse for the 6 months we are in Canada. The biggest risk for me is obviously financial; I would have to purchase the boutique and the home and of course give up my full time job to go casual. This is NOT an easy decision for me. As it stands now, I'm planning to visit DR in April, and am in the process of looking for agents/realtors for the urbanization Don Juan II gated community in Villa Hermosa to scope out prices, amenities and the legal process. My boyfriend is already selling merchandise without a storefront and my expectation of him is that he shows me he can manage money, keep track of expenses/profits and do his own research on store fronts to present to me. Anyways, im grateful this site exists and if anyone has some advice I'd be happy to hear from you.

Welcome.  I hope you are not one of the majority that "falls for a Dominican man". Keep us posted on your progress.
BObK

One question... does he already have a visa to go to Canada and his passport????

Bob K

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : you are off topic

Welcome cdngurl.  Lots of reading for you to do here. I am also going to send you a private message.

Please open a thread to have this discussion. This is the welcome thread.

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : off topic

again  can we PLEASE keep this for introductions.  I am going to start deleting anything not welcome or intro  related.

We are just starting the next phase of our lives and our goal is to retire in 42 months in the DR.  We are planning a trip to the Samana region about Feb 2018 to look around and get real feel for all this.  My goal is to make a few contacts/Friends that we can meet with get a few pointers and meet the expat community.  So we are all ears and any help and information or pointers would be appreciated.  Thank you

Gunny welcome.  While we are on the north coast we are in the Sosua/Cabarete area.  Samana area is a beautiful place to visit and ilve but do look at other areas as well.  If you find your self in my area I would be more than happy to meet with you guys when you are here.  We have been here full time for nearly 11 years now.

Bob K

I second that welcome. Lots of reading to do. Ask questions and open a thread if you cant find what you are looking for.

Closed