New members of the Dominican Republic forum, introduce yourself here – 1st quarter of 2017

Semper Fi retired Navy here. Just made the move down here Gunny, there are many loop holes to cover just like landing an LST on the beach, contact me if u need assistance BTW I was a Service Officer for Purple Heart make sure u get your VA compensation in gear. Ahoy Shipmate

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!!!!

hello all my name is barianno

I am looking for a good business opportunity to start in santo domingo or in the surrounding areas bella vista piantini etc. I have been to DR many times and love the food the people I also speak fluent spanish.

Looking forward to chatting more with you all.

bienvenido también.

Welcome
What kind of business are you trying to start?

Bob K

Welcome to the forums barianno! Glad you like the country. Read the forums, mught be ideas etc buried there....

Feel free to start a thread any time you like!!!

not quite certain food or beverages

Hola !  My name is Gary and we (me and my wife) are moving to Santo Domingo in May for a new job venture. Will like to connect with other expats for leisure activities, evening events or to hang out.

Welcome to the forums! I lived there for 4 years and go back to SD 2 times a month. Happy to meet up!

Welcome,   We are on the north coast in the Sosua/Cabarete area.  If up this way let me know.
What kind of work are you doing here?

Bob K

I am a widow of 2 years and I live in Canada.  I have visited Punta Cana 11 times, and wish to move there.  The winters here in Canada are becoming more, and more difficult.  Any info on the legalities of buying a condo there would also be very appreciated.  Thanks.

Vilkas welcome and sorry for your loss.  Do know that living here is vastly different then coming on vacation (once or a dozen times).  Before you do anything permanent I would suggest you come down for a few months and explore the island and rent apartments of condos. There is lots to experience other than the "tourist" area of Punta Cana and in fact the largest expat community can be found on the north coast.
The DR is not for everyone and you need to try it out first.

BObK

Thanks for your reply.  That's exactly what I had planned on doing first before making the move.  I would be renting a condo.  Any place special I should look for renting a condo?

What part of the country are you set on?  If PC I cannot help as I am on the north coast. PC is too sterile for me

Bob K

I am open to anyplace. Just looking for warm weather, and walking distance to ocean.

Welcome Vilkas,  as Bob says check out the various areas.   Punta Cana is beautiful but a bit non Dominican for me.   I love the north coast but it is not for everyone either. 

Finding a short term rental is as easy as an All Inclusive hotel or AirBnB.  Then boots on the ground,  get a friendly guide or taxi driver, drive the areas you think you may want to rent longer term in. Start looking for the for rent signs. OR  if someone recommends a realtor work that way.  Like Bob I can help you on the north coast and other areas but not Punta Cana, it is not for me.

A realitor i used who is first class. Very honest and always accessible. His name is Simon from the UK but living in Sosua. If you are interested in that area call. You can also send him a message on wharsap.
xxx

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Share the contact detail through private message please
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi nice to meet you and join this forum.

canadian living in dr since 2004.

have a great day!

Vilkas wrote:

I am open to anyplace. Just looking for warm weather, and walking distance to ocean.

Hey Vilkas,

I can help you in terms of Punta Cana.  I've lived in DR 12 years and lived on both coasts.  Let me know if you need some advise.

Nice to meet you.

ScottOO welcome to the forum. 
Where are you located currently?
Bob K

I second that welcome!

This is such a welcoming forum....

Hi All-
I just wanted to say Hi,
About me: I have been living here in the DR for over 3 years now. I came from Alaska (just now getting climatized). I have had many of the up and down experiences I have been reading about here. But all in all I find this to be a great country for now. 
Figured I should just register so that I can contribute to some of the posts I have been reading.

Welcome to the forums. Now that is an adjustment!  Yikes.  Please contribute wherever you can and ask  questions whenever needed!

Astray welcome.  Wow huge transition for  you.  Many years ago I almost took a job in Wasilla but stayed in the mountains of Colorado instead.
We look forward to your contributions.  Where in the DR did you settle?

Bob K

I have been staying near Sosua, next to Sea Horse, nice area, far enough away from Sosua to stay out of trouble and close enough to get to the trouble if I am in the mood :-).
I absolutely love Colorado, Been skiing there countless times and always thought I would live there at some point in my life. I think you made a good choice.

Yep did ski  patrol at Copper mountain and Breckenridge for many years.  Do not miss the snow however.

Bob K

Hello everyone!
We are from the UK and my husband is working in Haina free trade zone setting up a factory for the company he works for. I'm an experienced English teacher, should we make the move to relocate to Santo Domingo from England? How easy is it to settle in? Would I be able to find a job? Where should we live? I just don't know where to start!

Hi Scott and everyone else<

My name is Raymond Sitra.  I am a retired New York police officer.  I have a modest pension.  I want to move to DR in December.  Would very much like to find a place in the 300-400US per month range.  I would like to be in Punta Cana.  Walking distance to beach or with a pool?  either is fine.  Must be furnished.  And, most importantly, must accept my dog.  Her name is Fat Face and she is my medical alert/service animal and where I  go she goes.  She is extremely friendly, immaculate, trained and chipped. 13lbs., and does not shed and she is hypoallergenic.

And hellp   will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

Raymond

Welcome.  May I ask why Punta Cana?  Have you been here before?  Living here is nothing like vacation here.  I would come and stay and explore for a few months before moving.

Bob K

Hi Bob

Thanks for your reply. I have been there many times in the past dozen years.   My stays are always 3-4 moths at a time. I am very familiar with Bavaro, El Cortecito, etc., and I am always happy there.  As a Viet vet and former NYPD, the relaxed Punta Cana life is what I yearn for.  But as I said, my pension is small so the key issue is an affordable place.

raymond s

Sounds like a plan.  Your best bet to find an apartment is "boots on the ground" and  you should be able to find something in your price range.  Remember PC is mostly a tourist area so prices will be higher.

Bob K

Welcome to you both. Ruthie - come visit .santo domingo for several months before making that kind of decision.  Santo domingo is a very large very busy city and isnt for everyone. I lived there 4 years in a middle class area called Miramar.

As for affordable accomodations in punta cana, that gets tougher every year.  Most will accept your dog, no worries on that.

Hello people! looking forward to create a social event. how many active users do we have in Santo Domingo? We can meet at a local bar, if ya'll like, to meet each other, network, have a drink or two... but I need to know how many members would be interested?

Thanks in advance!   

:)

Hi Ruth, I hope your husband is coping well with the drastic change.  Any case, I am professional at introducing expats to the D.R. you may contact me and hire for consulting before moving to D.R. and or anything I can assist you to improve your D.R. experience.
you may contact me xxxxxxxx

Moderated by Sarvesh 6 years ago
Reason : Do not post your contact details on the forum for security reasons.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Kennyhe welcome to the forums.  First this is the inteo forum, please open threads for new topics.

I also will caution you about promoting yourself this way. How about participating in the forums rather than just thrpwing out a commerical about yourself. And dont post personal contact information please.

We welcome your contribution insights and experience!

Hello, my name is Suzanne.  For the past few months, I have been reading many of the blogs.  There is so much useful information here.   My husband and I currently live in New Jersey and are planning on retiring to the Dominican in the next few years.  I enjoy gathering as much information as I can regarding how things operate in the DR.  Thanks to all who contribute so much terrific information here.  One subject that I am extremely interested in is the quality and cost of healthcare.   I have reviewed the various posts regarding healthcare.  However, since the cost of healthcare is insured specific, I would like some more information on healthcare costs as it pertains to me and my husband.  Planner, I previously sent you an e-mail regarding this very subject.  If possible, and when you have a moment, will you please provide me with your response.  Please let me know if you didn't receive my private e-mail and I will resend it to you.  Again, thanks for all of the helpful information!!!

Thank you for your nice comments!!! Welcome to the forum. I did not get your email so please resend!!!

Planner, I just sent you another private e-mail.  Please let me know if you didn't receive.  If that is the case, obviously, I am doing something incorrect.

Thanks.  Suzanne

Suzanne welcome to the forum. I lived in NJ for many years and even went to school there many moons and degrees ago.
Living here in the DR do understand that the health care here is severely lacking in many areas.  Care is better in the larger cities and can be basically third world in the smaller towns.   Health insurance is fairly inexpensive and Planner will help you on that.  We personally carry local DR insurance with Universal and also an  international policy that coves us world wide including the US and also (very important) provides evacuation insurance if God forbid we need it.
Where in the DR have you been looking to relocate to?
Keep the questions coming.

Bob K

Closed