Visiting for 3 weeks !

Any suggestions about scuba certification Programs?
Thoughts on public libraries?
Are  there any socials for expats?
Cheeers and thanks,
Cynthia

Your SCUBA diving certification will depend on what course you want to take, as there are a few different types of certification. (PADI, SSI etc.) I think the majority are PADI in Vancouver. It will also depend where you're staying (proximity being important, I would guess). I would recommend looking for something that is at least 3 days if not 4-5, for a good base in the sport. It might be a bit cold for diving in the ocean, even in three weeks, even if you're properly outfitted in a dry suit. (They've been suffering a cold snap recently, that is uncharacteristic of the lower mainland.)

There is a decent library system in the lower mainland, using a linked system between different cities. You need to be a resident of Vancouver or one of the affiliated areas to get a free library card, though you might qualify for a non-resident card, by providing the appropriate ID and paying a fee. The downtown Vancouver Library (main branch) is a quite well known landmark that can be seen in many movies and TV shows.

I think socials for expats would be held in the various cultural centres (Italian, Croatian, Greek, Chinese, Japanese...the list goes on.) throughout the city. Being a native, I've never noticed expat oriented festivities. It is a very outdoor and active city, so there is always something going on - ice skating in Robson Square, the microbrewery beer tours, plays, music festivals, art shows plus tons of shopping, amazing restaurants and sports events.

Enjoy your visit.