Canadian wanting to relocate to Puerto Plata, Dominican republic

Welcome to the DR forum BorntobeinDR. You'll find many expats here that live in DR who share their valuable experience.

Thanks so much I have spent the entire morning reading and it's been so informative.  I have really enjoyed reading everyone's posts some were really touching and realize I am not alone.  I look forward to developing relationships with many on this site.

Born to be welcome.
Have you been here before?
Why the attraction to living here?
Lots of information on this board.  Read and keep reading and ask questions when you  have them.

Bob K

Welcome to the forums!!!!

Thanks for your message!!  I actually have not been to DR before interesting enough.  Have been to other Islands such as Cuba, Jamaica,  Bermuda but didn't consider those places options with the crime in Jamaica and well Cuba being Cuba!!  My family friends have property in Santo Domingo and the love it. I have always loved the island life.  I am a sun and water worshipper!  Right now I have nothing going in terms of kids or husband so I say to myself why stay in a miserable climate country with no sun just to work in a stressful job to live in a condo by myself??  I need a change...want to live more simplistic in nature in the sun ☀

Well then you need to come down and explore the country. There are lots of different areas with different things to offer.
Feel free to ask questions

Bob K

Coming with family in the fall.  Looking forward to exploring.

Hello BorntobeinDR and welcome !

I am also learning a lot by reading and asking questions from some of the wonderful people on this forum.
Where are you from in Canada and when are you thinking of doing the big move ? 😊

Hi! I am from Toronto Ontario... At first looking for a vacation property hoping to make it more permanent in the next few years.  It's alot to consider but most importantly is work... How easy or hard is to find a job out there. 
Where are you from? What's your story?

Keep watching for replies.

Read FAQ.

Trust the information of Planner & Bob + many others on this forum.

Take the time to wander around the north coast. We met a couple Friday evening from Europe living in a 250 month apt.

We have a friend staying with us for the next 2 weeks. We met at Spanish school.
Spent 3 weeks in language school in Sosua. Returned home and began to search on line for employment with EU companies working in DR.
Found a management position in her field. Based out of the capital with living opportunity in
North Coast. Great wages, benefits ect. That's most likely not the norm but its an example of whats possible.

We spent a morning at Teleferico Puerto Plata. Landing back down there was our friend leading a tour from one of the cruise ships. WE didn't know she had this role.

The options are as wide as your imagination.

Thanks for your response. That sounds like there are opportunities which gives me some hope that it is possible!!  What would you say is the best area for vacation property?  What would be the cost roughly for let's say a 2 bedroom condo walking distance to beach,  security,  gated etc?  Coming down in the fall ans would love to have an idea of where to start.  We going to be renting a car and visiting different areas.  Any thoughts?

While there are opportunities they are few and far between!   

To work here you need residencia and a cedula. That takes time.  Almost no one will hire without that. Getting an employer to hire you and sponsor you is very difficult and  requires very specific skill sets which you may or may not have and often requires language skills and cultural knowledge.

That said -  there are jobs in call centers, some jobs in tourism that are fairly easy to get  BUT you need that cedula and you need to be able to live on low wages!  It is not as easy as it sounds.

I do not intend to dissuade you, but you need to see reality as well. Do your homework, do lots of reading and ask lots of questions before making the jump!

Thanks planner I totally understand what your saying and have read alot of posts about the cedula and resedencia. I understand the low wages.  Have friends in Jamaica who make 15 to 20 dollars a day!!!  Very different from North America.  I guess I am willing to sacrifice the luxury of buying for a more relaxed stress free lifestyle.  Again alot to consider..  At will be coming down for holidays and then exploring from there.  it's great that there is a site like this and everyone here seems so willing to share.  It's awesome.

Not being rude this advice is mine and mine alone. Im here a short time but spent 15 years planing this move. Im a newbie. I like to submit my own comments as a newbie.

Listen closely to Planner and others on this site. Trust in their advice. Read FAQ 1st. Peal through the volumes of information.

The people responding have the patience of unbelievable proportions. I am forever grateful for the long term expats sharing their lives and advice. They are leaders. They are grounded here.

Im heading back to Canada today. 2 weeks of work.  Its another glorious day. Rained hard last night only to see the precipitation washed away by sunshine.

This week we saw whales in Bay of Samana.
1/2 a chicken and french fries marinated & BBQ'd was 200 pesos at a new hole in the wall.
Expat tips come in fast once your in the pipeline on where and what.
WE are missing our fruit truck guy. Hes gone missing. Not good. Where else can we walk to the road and purchase pineapple, avocado, papaya, oranges, bananas for 250 pesos?...The grocery store is slightly more but supporting this family makes good sense.
My barber is an artist. Great shave is 200 pesos. Haircut & shave was 300. I always tip.
45 minutes in the chair. Friends have commented on having a straight razor on my throat held by the hand of a stranger. After 2 visits I don't feel like a stranger.

But I dont know much being a newbie. The long term folks that have been here for years share..

The super bowl is attracting a lot of Americans this weekend. Im told Jet Blu specials bring them in. The chicas are out in force. We walk easily among the touristas as people caught in the middle of rethinking life and becoming residents. We walk easily past the vendors hoping for a sale. They have 3 months of which 45 days might be the very peak. In 45 days the streets will begin to open up of people and traffic. Like a tide going out another cycle passes by and will begin to flow back next December.  They know us and wont bother. We always bring family to their stalls and booths. They hope for a sale but never push. They are always grateful.

That's a beautiful story.  I wish you the best on your new journey.  It's great you can travel back and forth and your work allows you to do so. I love that picture you just painted.  Sounds like something I would really appreciate.

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some opinions about safe and not so safe places to rent an apartment and generally to be around in the city (Puerto Plata) for myself ?
I thought I would ask you guys, just to have an idea of maybe places to stay away from ? I have read a lot of info on this site regarding safety and emergency situations and how to deal with different things and have found some interesting stories and great advice. However, I thought I would ask more specifically, if there are any places I should keep in mind and stay away from? Is the area near the mall La Sirenes safe enough ? I know the good neighborhoods such as Torre Alta are ok, but I was wondering, closer to the center and and around the Malecon area....any particular places to be aware of ?

Also, what would be the emergency numbers I should have in case of anything?

Thank you so much and feel free to share any safety advice for a single woman like myself starting this adventure one step at a time :)

Thank you for kind words. I can only speak for myself. Im at the airport waiting to depart. The weather in Canada is colder. I'm in blue jeans again.

Consider this about the DR and its people. I have only 20 dollars USA. The lounge cost 25.00. All you can drink and eat. The money exchange is opening in 20 minutes. The hostess says...no problem ..come in. No where in my life have I ever experienced this. No where.

I think the common theme is our world is amazing & awesome regardless of where we live. I simply no longer except the boundaries and limitations we box ourselves into. The most common asked question is how do you afford. How do you live. Where does the money come from. The answer is the same regardless of where you live. We find work and make it work. We engineer. We plan. The real question is how little can you live on. What am I willing to give up.

Thinking back to when I had nothing. On the west coast. We locate the opportunities. We live day to day praying for change. We take several jobs. We accept rsik because we have nothing to loose. We always are scanning in search of opportunity. We are open minded. We judge seldom. We have nothing to protect. We smiled often back then.

Life pressures us forward to achieve goals. You find opportunity and after a while settle into conservative mode of protecting those assets. Peer pressure is daily and mind numbing. Advertising sets us down a path of consumerism. I buy & protect.

People gather and meet. Weekends, lunch, dinner. Talk is always about work. We wear long hours on our sleeve. Its a pictureless tattoo.

All of this is the norm and my passage. A story..of wondering..

This story is etched to me like a scar.

Nothing short of 300,000 air miles was the norm. All from working. I sent my son to Bahamas one year when he was 15. His friend moved and a visit was in order. he called me daily.  They went out shark reef on another friends Bahamian boat. The owner a kid not much older than mine doing whatever jobs around Port L. A poor kid.
Pumps running keeping the boat from sinking out they go. When they do drop anchor the kid owner dives and comes up repeatedly with lobster. 

My son says.. he had nothing dad but he had everything. We talk about this kid often. When pressures strike my son this is our default position.

What is everything?

The example are plenty.. Those that have left for other climates in pursuit of work, money, life, experience ect. I dont know.

You can read and absorb a lot from Planner and Bob and many others leaving everything we think is normal.. is normal ...and drifting away on boats wandering the oceans and rv'ing across the USA, Mexico ect or moving to DR.

What is your "everything" is personal. Its intimate to your DNA.

My friends back home are happy. My choices are different. Its to be expected. Perhaps they are right and my choices wrong.

My story is now about the journey and not the destination.

Write your story..have fun.

Peace & love..

Beautiful story!! Enjoy your trip.

Ramdady, beautiful post!
Thank you for sharing !
😊

As always I begin with my observations only. I'm following in the footsteps of many others and where possible will try new myself. I wanted to read as much as possible from others before trying to live in another country. Not everything makes sense. If you believe people are people wherever on this planet and for the most part will cause no harm is my mantra. Eyes wide open also applies. Opinions are mine and nothing more. I can only act taking actions to fully understand what this lifestyle is like.

I returned back to Sosua after 2 weeks in western Canada. It was a total of 46 days since I arrived before Christmas. I went to the airport heading back to Canada and paid my fine for that duration. 2500 pesos I think?

At the PP airport is a DR copy of Air Canada's Lounge. For 25 bucks US you can enter. I had only 18.00 on me in cash. I went to leave and the attendant asked why?..I need to convert more US cash. Don't bother she said. Give me the 18.00 and welcome. From there it was 100% great.

The flight to Toronto was good. Getting the connecting flight to Calgary I began to have pangs. I dont want to go. Turn around. I cant. I have a company to manage.

At the end of 2 weeks of non stop activities my last initiative was on Saturday.  I drove from Calgary to Edmonton and back to meet a maintenance manager. Didn't sleep and got on my flight at midnight to Toronto landing at 5:30 Am and then jumping the flight for PP. Very long day.

On the flight back I think back to the one day skiing at Sunshine. Im trying to make each day count as if the last. I have not skied in 10 years. My gear was purchased for the long run so like a good black suit it works when needed.

My partner hasn't skied in 22 years. We do every blue run top to bottom. I'm in some pain on the drive home. But very pleased with the fact it all came back and worked. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Arriving the PP airport I have a hockey sized bag filled with clothing donated to me. Packed is understatement. Im asked to send it through the scanner. The porter is watching me. He steps in says to the guy scanning Im good and before you know it out to the corner for my ride. He { the porter} says..you can bring in anything here if you know the right people. Hes 100% right.

Our driver we use shows up late. But he calls ahead and another cabi driver come to me... Johnny is on his way.

You might be frustrated back home at this setback. Here you cant. Its 28C. Sunny. I'm back home.

This week we will wrap the clothes up as gifts and hand out to people needing. There is nothing run down or badly used. This is all coming from good income friends. Its humbling to have this opportunity. I promise everyone who donated their kindness will be received in ways they have no idea.

The birds begin singing early this Monday morning. I wake up in my bed. This rental has come to be our home. This is our bed. The sun comes up. I sit on the deck across from the amazing colored plants reflecting in the calm pool waters.

We pay 1000.00 month for 2 bed + 2 bath + pool. ...older home in gated community. We can find condos for less and just as good. In 40 days the holiday season will be over. Im told things will slow down. Condos will have 3/4 vacancy as owners leave. If the property manager can rent please do. Prices are negotiable. 

We have a dog. Its a pocket Chihuahua. We saved it. The little guy was 4 weeks old left at vets tied to a rock.

I will sit on my laptop each morning trying to convince myself I CANT live this way. Working from Sosua is the impossible. It's a recipe for disaster.

Day by day I prove myself wrong. My real blessing in life is having this opportunity regardless of its duration.

Its family day back in Ontario, Sask & Alberta. I should work but I most likely will enjoy this day. Ive worked so many holidays of the past. If I could say with certainty each one had a positive impact but I cant...or don't know. 

What I will do today is walk down and join the gym. I could jump on the scooter but that would defeat the purpose.

Its next on my list of things I must do in order to remain here. The score card has changed.
I quit smoking.
Im eating much better.
Time for the real benefit of living here...time for El Porko to begin transition.

Last nights dinner was awesome as usual. I don't use any measurement for standards dinning in the Dominican. The owner, his staff work long hours making slim if any profits for the pure passion of being a restaurateur. My gringo friends would share I over tipped last evening. So be it.

We raced the scooter home driving down the center lane. Scooters and racing are what kill people here in DR. It only feels like racing. Traffic falls off on Sundays even during peak holiday season. Speed is one of those things that matters not for us. 400 bucks we have wheels. For 3 bucks I pull up to the bomba. The attendants fill up with a smile and try their English on for size. In return our Spanish. In the middle is where we meet and happily give a 50 Peso tip.

We don't use name brands and that's the real stress test of living outside of ones normal comfort zones. We are following in the foot prints of other expats. WE are not leaders but rather copiers of a lifestyle.
There are no flyers stuffing the box with recycled paper.
TV ads mean nothing.
We are not buying any clothes.
We don't need a newer car.
We can turn to CNN on TV if anything earth shattering happens like a invasion from martians. Until then we use my laptop. Topics are the same..Trump this or that. Weather in cali. Weather in Atlantic Canada. Whatever. I cant change a thing so why bother.

Someone last evening over too many Brugals and President Lights {me} commented on fluctuating peso as a savings instrument paying 8.5%. If you lock up 30K Canadian = 1,000,000 pesos { I M} the bank backs a 8.5% note. I'm sure opinions will jump on this point .  No need. Lock up 90K or 3M pesos and you have living money from interest.

My RRSP's are blah at best. The markets dont make sense but on the advice of educated people you ride them like a sailor in a strip club hoping in the morning your drunken decision from the night before doesn't cause concern.  I got tired of listening and following. Im tired knowing my demands for better returns are the drivers for companies badly acting the way they do. I pulled them out and put them into myself building a company. I know my efforts will outpace my brokers with his hundreds of clients.

I'm a grade 9 drop out. I know nothing. I am blessed beyond words can describe.

I might be 100% wrong in the decisions I'm making.
Time will tell.
Until then...peace and love.

Welcome back. Interesting read!!!

Ramdaddy, sounds like you were arriving just as I was leaving.  I come away after spending 5 weeks in Sosua feeling refreshed. Unfortunately, I don't expect to be returning until next year 2018.
I started my globe trotting career some 20 years ago.  It all started for me in India and now looks like it will end in India. Hopefully this will be my last assignment. At the end of this I hope to put roots down back in DR. It's not a hard decision to make, snow or beach.

Hello all, all this info is amazing. I am also From Canada but live in South Florida now. I am looking into opportunities in DR

Amazing and inspiring!

Welcome to the forums Eriklalani..why not go to new members in DR and introduce yourself!

Does anyone know the name of the international school in Cabrera?

Are you referring to the French school in the next small town of Río San Juan?

http://ecole-francaise.blogspot.co.uk

No, someone mentioned an international baccalaureate certified school down by orchid bay?

Perhaps it's El Faro de Cabrera.

https://m.facebook.com/Faro-de-Cabrera- … 115675053/

I'm not certain if they have international acredidations.

I believe the only accredited one is in Sosua.

Hello Folks,
I'm new to the forum, just joined this morning.  This will sound ridiculous but we just bought a villa in Sosua last month without ever visiting the Dominican Republic.  While I've travelled extensively throughout the Caribbean for the past 20 years I have never visited DR for some unknown reason, then we go buy a villa there!  Glad to say we made my first trip there last month to finalize the plans on our villa and love the area.  Can't wait to spend more time there.
We do eventually plan to spend 6+ months a year there but for now we'll continue living in Canada while our daughter (9 years old) finishes school and then start the transition as we work towards early/semi retirement.  We plan to vacation there 3-4 times a year for a couple of weeks at a time and since it's only a 4 hour flight we can also squeeze in some long weekends along the way.
Everything so far has gone extremely well, but I wanted to look into whether or not we qualify for residency with the limited amount of time we will get to spend there over the next couple of years.   If I were to guess I'd say we'll probably spend 40 - 60 days a year there for the next several years, is that enough time in the country to qualify as residency, is own real estate there considered an investment?
The lawyer handling our purchase has sent me some information but it isn't clear on my questions so I thought I'd ask others of there experiences.
Anyways, can't wait to start spending more time there and love reading the forums on others experiences.
Regards,
Larry

Welcome to the forums. Wow you took a huge gamble, glad it paid off for you.

For this type of visiting you dont need residencia.  And I believe your real estate purchase does qualify as an investment!   

Keep us posted on your adventure.  Read read read and ask lots of questions as you need to!

Welcome,
I agree with Planner until you are here on a more full time basis I would not get you residency.
Where did you purchase?

Bob K

Casa Linda

Congrats on the new house. We are almost neighbors as we are up the road a bit from  you

Bob K

Wow, that's great we'll have to meet some time when we are there.
Can you give me any intel/feedback on Casa Linda.  They've been awesome to deal with so far, the guy we are dealing with lives immediately next door to our lot and is from the same city as us in Canada.  We also have a friend who has recently taken possession of his villa in Casa Linda and so far has had a great experience.  We'll be renting our place when we aren't using it, I know there'll be some challenges renting our property but understand that and are truly treating it as an investment for now at least until we decide to spend more time down there.
It seems Sosua has had some issues with prostitution which I know is legal there but it seems the government is trying to clean it up.  Are there still issues with this and should it be a concern we worry about renting our villa?
Thanks for any feedback you can offer.

Wow, $325.00 for a 2 bdrm 2 bath apt is great!  We are going to be living in Sosua for the first time starting in November for 6 months and are paying 500.00 US for a one bdrm.

Yup different areas, different pricing.

Wow, awesome post!!

I love this post!!!