Moving to Ecuador

Hi ! New hear and would just want some general information about searching for apartments and Jobs in Ecuador !! My plan is to move there this summer (2017) with my cousin! Also share ur story about your experience and how you did !! Thanks a bunch !

Finding apartments is the easy part especially nowadays. So that's not an issue unless you want something in particular and in that case it'll just take a little bit more time and effort.

As for work, what do you have in mind? This isn't the easiest country for job seekers because of obvious obstacles like language and scarcity of good paying jobs.

Themutters wrote:

would just want some general information about searching for apartments....

Dear Mutters,

Welcome to the Ecuador forum.

To avoid the usual ripoffs and fancy furnished-apartment prices, use the classifieds and shoe leather on the ground in Quito.

Walk preferred neighborhoods finding signs posted in the windows -- Se aquila departamento .. Arrendo (plus phone number).

Go to Internet places, especially in Mariscal sector, and look for a bulletin board -- a real one, not a virtual one -- where folks post available rentals.  The Mariscal boards will have postings for other parts of the city as well as the nearby vecindarios.

cccmedia

V knows what he's talking about in his post on job-seeking.  So get clear on your interests and intentions.

You'll never get rich by diggin' a ditch .. or by teaching English in Quito.  But it could be a living.

Ipso facto, use search function at the Ecuador forum's welcome page to visit this forum's threads on teaching English.

Google:  teach English Quito .. and you'll have a wealth of experience and guidance at your fingertips.

cccmedia

If spanish wasn't an issue? Thinking teacher jobs to begin with and both me and my cousin have bartender certificates, Im just thinking oof other jobs though and none come to mind xD

Themutters wrote:

If spanish wasn't an issue? Thinking teacher jobs to begin with and both me and my cousin have bartender certificates, Im just thinking of other jobs though and none come to mind xD

Dear Mutters,

If teaching English is not your thing, you are at a major disadvantage in the EC job market.

I see the only language mentioned in your profile is "Swedish englush."

Due to language, bartending is out -- even the Gringo-friendly bars have a high percentage of local customers .. and as far as I can tell, you could communicate with them only via sign language.  That's not sufficient.

Although I don't know how close to the King's English your Swedish form might be, I have this guidance....

There are 81 countries and territorial entities in the world where English is an official language.  You will have a better shot at finding work in some of these than in Ecuador, where Spanish-speaking locals get job preference.  It's government policy and companies' hiring policy.

google:  territories where english is spoken.

Another option -- cruise ships, where your bartending skills might cut it.

-- cccmedia

I'ved lived in the states half my life and my dad is from England i think my English is good enough ! :) and i'm commited to learn spanish Before i move in 6 months ! And being a English Teacher is no problem :) was just looking if there was other work thats all ! :)