Work permit (Foreign Experts Certificate)

Hi,

I have a question regarding work permit (Foreign Experts Certificate)  and I would appreciate it if you could please give me some advise and help.

I am going to teach sciences at a high school in China in this February, my initial contract with the agency that offered me this job is for 11 months. The Chinese agency  today sent me my work permit (Foreign Experts Certificate) so I can apply for Z visa. However, the length of the work permit (Foreign Experts Certificate) is only for 6 months.

Now, I am a bit confused regarding this issue, is it possible that the agency wants me to work only for 6 months? or is this normal in china and later the work permit will be extended.

I really would appreciate it if you could please give me some ideas.

cheers
Don

Interesting. My wife (Chinese) is CEO of a Chinese Training School in Shanghai. When she needs an Expat English teacher, she sends them the FEC - which is valid for only one month.
With the FEC they obtain a Visit Visa.
On arrival in China, she must ensure that within one month, they are registered to obtain a Z visa.

I'm curious that you already have a 6-month Work Permit!
A Work Permit is NOT the same as the Invitation Letter FEC
The Z visa goes into your passport
The Work Permit is a separate document.

Can anyone else confirm or correct the above?
David

Hi David,

Thank you very much for your reply and explanation.

What I have been sent by hiring company are:

- Notification Letter of Foreigner's Work Permit in the People's Republic of China) which is for 6 months
-    Confirmation Letter of Invitation
-    Invitation Letter from Chinese Company

I assume the differences in hiring process depends on the different provinces.

many thanks

Don

Hi Don,
Your comment noted.
I will follow up with my wife, just to check the process has not changed again.
Under my wife's present process, her Expat teachers must have a local (in China) medical check within the first month of arrival. This is a requirement to obtain the Work Permit and Z-Visa.

Would be interested to know if you will be applying for a Z-Visa in the UK or if it will be a Visitor-Visa (I forget the letter designation, sorry).
Make sure you supply the UK Visa office any requested copy documentation(s).

Which neck of the woods in China will you be working?

Wish you all the best.
David

Discussed with my Missus.
It looks like you will be applying for a Business Visa, Not a Z-Visa (because the Z-Visa document is for one month only - as I mentioned}.

BUT. My wife says you cannot legally teach (I think as a lecturer is okay - but check) if you have a Business Visa.
Please double check this with your agent in China OR direct with the Chinese UK Visa Office.
Cheers

This is still up for anyone else to comment.
Thanks
David