So Dorado Is Not For Us

So we've been here almost a month now and ReyP you were right. My landlord (who is rich by the way) is a total slum lord scam artist. The good thing is he breached the contract by putting in writing that he refuses to fix anything. Classic bait and switch. Plus the roof leaks and the contract stated that if there was a structural issue such as the roof leaking, I owe no rent and the contract is void. So I'm fortunate in that regard.

So back to the drawing board. I no longer want to spend what I was spending here. While the house WOULD'VE been nice had he fixed the items that needed to be fixed. (5 large balconies, large terrace, elevator, 4 bed 4.5 bath with a two seater Jacuzzi in the master) I'd prefer at this point a good landlord with something that has at least a 2 car garage.

We found a place in Aguadilla that looks like it could be a choice and we're going to see it in the morning. I've read a ton of good things about Aguadilla but where do you guys shop?! I'd love a Walmart supercenter and a home depot nearby. The rent at this place is almost half. Comes with no appliances so we're definitely going to negotiate. Because a grand is pretty high for no appliances. But it has the garage I want, hopefully the bedrooms are spaced out. Darn it I'm going to miss having all the rooms scattered throughout the house.

Just wanted to update on the move. Our furniture got here Friday and it looks like we'll be boxing it all right back up, smh. But hey, if I can get a great deal on a nice home... it'll save me enough so I can buy that Tesla I've been wanting!  :D Today was my birthday and I didn't get to celebrate at all, maybe that can be a delayed gift to myself.

I love Aguadilla and there is a Walmart and Home Depot within 30 mins. We even found a Sams club by the Home Depot. Happy Birthday btw! Hopefully you have a beautiful weekend after a crazy week.

I am glad you are out of that situation with the slum lord, they always show their spots sooner or later.
You seem to have expensive tastes for a home, maybe you should consider buying a house with about 3,000 Square feet in the range of 350k to 450k instead of renting. Why give somebody your money when you can just invest it and get your money back when you sell it? Rent the first 6-12 months then get the place you want and how you want it (Jacuzzi for 5 if you get kinky ;) ).

The one key is going to be being sure you like the area first, so renting the first 6 months to a year will give you a pretty good idea where you want to live.

As to the Tesla, tomorrow January 6, is "Dia de los Reyes" so put a shoe box under the bed full of grass clipping for the camels and who knows, maybe a Tesla will be under your bed. Careful you don't hurt yourself when you get out of bed, a Tesla will raise the bed quite a bit.

That's in Isabela, right? I live 1mile from that Walmart. I'll ask my landlord if he knows of anything in the area... I got a nice house, at a great price. No lease, we did a verbal. Whenever he cones to fix something, he does a tip notch job. We could not be happier with him, and this place. We lucked out here; we found a good Christian man, who was happy to find some good Christian tenants.

Good day chrishamrick103,
  First Happy Birthday!! Good things in store for you. Read up on your unfortunate experience.  But going forward I'm sure you'll find the right place you can call home.  As ReyP commented, short term rentals until you definitely like the town would I consider to pay a costly rent for a sizeable space which you may consider buying instead.  That's assuming you looking to reside long term. Lots of awesome properties available, but take time to hunt. Aguadillla is a happening town. Beaches, many excellent restaurants, sights and nice people.  Large number of bilingual wherever you go.. Aguadilla Mall and Amigo supermarket in town.  Mayaguez  about 30mins. west are Home Depot, Mayaguez Mall and more.  Also from Aguadilla going East about 40mins on Carr #2 to Hatillo, there is Home Depot, Super Walmart (Largest in the Caribbean just opened end of 2015), Plaza del Norte Mall, Plaza Atlantico Mall bordering Hatillo & Arecibo and lots more. Really nice town recently being discovered by American Mainlanders. My wife &I love knowing whatever we have back stateside we have in this 35k populated town. Walgreen &CVS available for medications we get prescribed from back home.  Once settled ,venture out to as many towns on the west, east, north and south.  Find a permanent home to meets all of your needs then wants.. Good luck and if any desire to come my way to Hatillo, we will be arriving Jan 18th til end of April and we can guide you around.. jose

Hey everyone thanks for the replies!

So today we got up super early because our daughter for some reason decides to wake up at 5am now. Don't know what that's all about, but hopefully it changes when we move. Our son isn't sleeping well either due to the mold issue this house has... So, we ventured out to Aguadilla to an interesting house. But no yard... not a speck of green and it was right off the main road. Not a good look for small children. Awesome garage though, 3, 1.5 garages with doors!

Disappointed my wife says, "Wait, we're passing by Isabela and I saw a 4 bedroom there, I'm going to call." She calls and asks first question, "Does it have A/C?" the lady's response, "No, but you don't need it, the breeze keeps it cool." LOL, this response at this point is a joke to me, EVERYONE says that! Although I did get by at an airbnb in SJ with just the ceiling fan for a week.

I was about to say no, but my wife set up an appointment anyway. We go and it's 6 minutes from the Walmart and about 3 or 4 minutes from an Econo grocery store. Riding through the little town we were a bit nervous, but came to a cemetary, swung a left and want all the way down this quiet road to this charming little ranch with a 2 car, car port. We go inside and it's naturally cool in there, not realizing I look around and notice, 1. Most of the windows were closed and 2. There were no fans. Yes, it felt a nice 72 degrees in that house with NONE OF THAT. Home fully updated. No Jacuzzi though lol, not even a tub actually, but two very nice bathrooms. 4 roommate style bedrooms which were a nice size, and just a good use of space. They had a garage that they turned into a living room. with a laundry room in the back. It also has a laundry room in the main area which we will likely just put our bookshelf there, and a perfect sized building in the back waiting to be turned into an office/gym!

Only downfalls to this home was no dishwasher which I've never used, but my wife began to appreciate once our family grew. And no appliances except for a microwave. I'd also have to install a few fans myself but other than that, I think we found a winner! Fantastic yard. My son who is 3 walked in and said, "This one! This one!" So I guess it's that one. I also appreciate the $850 rent too! I'd negotiate but the owner was just so sweet and it's a heck of a lot less than what I would've paid in Dorado. It's nice and clean and the owners stay on the corner. They built the house themselves and her husband does all the work. So it sounds like I might have the same situation as Mac on my hands!

Update on the Dorado place. Got back and the handyman was here to do some work... well too late for that. Still, he isn't doing anything big. Pressure wash, fix the toilet and remove the fire hazard in the closet (an outlet hanging by 2 feet of wire wrapped up with tape for "protection") smh...

Now I need another car! :-D I considered what you said Rey, but I don't think the Tesla would fit in the elevator of this Villa in Dorado. Even if it did, the elevator works when it wants to.... lol. I'm still waiting on it to go to the first floor from yesterday morning!

Sounds like a perfect day to me and a great place to live, hope you can move in soon and get your furniture in place.

Well, I'm currently trying to get internet there. I'm on the phone with Liberty to put in a work order to try and force them to get service there, LOL. I used to be a cable salesman and I know they can install service at places that don't get service under the right circumstances. That place looks to have the right circumstances so hopefully that works. I really don't want to settle for Claro, but they said it has no data caps so there's at least that if I do have to get them.

Upon further research though I've seen other properties that actually have appliances, and one is even furnished in Aguadilla for $715! I don't know how my wife missed that listing, but we're calling that one tomorrow. We also saw some decent looking cars for sale over there. Which I figured I'd find due to the many people being in that area for work from the states or military. I'm thinking about skipping the Tesla because the roads are pretty bad over that way and getting a used pick up or a mini van and maybe a used Toyota for my wife to run errands in and just buy them cash and be done.

A good clearance vehicle is a must with all the dips, trenches and pot holes. being able to carry stuff like cement rocks and stuff will make your life easier. Even a rust ball is better than no heavy lifting vehicle.

Sounds like a good plan.  Claro has a negative reputation - avoid if possible.   

Start with a used car, the roads are bad in lots of places.   A van is very practical, I got one to haul stuff and it holds six plus luggage or take out the seats and haul building materials.

Oops, had a post about a rental in my area but just noticed you found a place after all. Somehow I missed that. Good luck in your new place.

We haven't signed the lease yet! What ya got?

It's a 3/2 condo, no garage, just secure pking. I think you're set on a house/yard, correct?

Yes, we would like a yard and a garage or carport of some sort. We also need 4 bedrooms. That's the biggest hurdle. 4 bedrooms seem to come at a premium where a 3 bedroom can be had easily.