Container shipping from Florida US

Hello again,
Trying to make a quick decision whether to buy all of our household items when we arrive in San Juan or to pay for container shipping from FL. Anyone have any round about prices they paid to ship a 20' container from the US?! Need to make a quick decision. Thanks in advance!!

Hello luis.grace  :cheers:

You can get a free quote from our partner here : Moving to Puerto Rico.

Regards

Kenjee

I had "Rosa del Monte" come and pack up 2 apartments for me, including a sofa, 2 queen size beds, 3 big screen tv's a mess of dressers, tables, a desk, 2 bicycles, and about 12 large boxes for $2200
Shipping is 10-15 days, and it was out of NYC...
They quoted $1200 for my car and $750 for my motorcycle (they're will be an excise tax for each vehicle when it arrives at port).
Hope this helps!

Bklyn2fajardo,

Although your post is nearly a year old, I'm curious to know how your move went using the services of Rosa del Monte.  I've looked at their website and was quite impressed with how informative and thorough it is.  I am mostly eager to hear whether or not you had a car shipped with them, and if the quoted rate of $1200 was accurate when all was done.  We are seriously considering shipping a car.

Thanks for any information you can share.

just limin,
Not sure if you have made your move yet, but my husband and I are in the final stages of the process right now.  We decided to ship our car.  As an older car (1999) with low mileage and in good shape, it would is

a) less expensive than purchasing when we get there (shipping + import taxes),
b) more reliable than a used car that we do not know the history of

I have heard a few stories of people getting a great used car at a great price, but I wonder if that is the exception or the norm.  Also, it could take a while to find that perfect vehicle.  So, for us, having our old faithful car made sense.  Also, I have heard that because our car is older, import taxes will be less than a newer car.  I'm not sure what the cut off year is, but I know it is based on the car's value.  Crowley has great customer service, but quoted me $1300 (they added lots of fees to their base price).  I found a service called Puerto Rico Car Transport that quoted me $1075.  Originally, they used Sea Star shippers for 3-4 day shipping but have just informed me they have switched to Crowley due to shipment backups on Sea Star's end.  We are driving from San Antonio to Jacksonville to drop off the car.

We have around 10 or so largish boxes of personal items we are planning to ship via USPS as I have heard from this forum that is the most cost effective method.   We are also using several large flat rate boxes, which come out to $15.80 each for the online price.  Larger boxes around 10-15 lbs come out to anywhere from $30-40 depending on the weight and dimensions.  Unfortunately, I think it is still going to cost us a few hundred $ to ship our stuff (mostly kids' toys, clothes, some nice kitchen items that I just can't part with)...

I'll update the process as we progress, but I am definitely open to suggestions if anyone has any. :)

CurlyGirlPR wrote:

just limin,

I'll update the process as we progress, but I am definitely open to suggestions if anyone has any. :)

Yes, please do!

Thank you for your reply, Curly Girl.  Your thinking is exactly the way I'm thinking.  I've had my 2005 since it was new, so I know it's maintenance history, needs and quirks.  I'd hate to buy a used car and be faced with all kinds of problems.  Besides, it appears I can ship a car for a lot less than what I would want to spend to (hopefully) get a decent used car.  And on top of that I really really really love my car!

Does anyone know if the dealerships in Puerto Rico sell "certified pre-owned" cars?

Thanks for the information on shipping.  I would love to find a service that will ship a car from New York or New Jersey.  Most I've heard about require getting the car to Florida.

Please do continue to keep us informed on how your move is going.

I am not sure if Puerto Rico sells certified pre owned cars, but I would imagine they do. 

I just wanted to let you know that is a common miss conceptions most smaller companies tell you, you do NOT need to ship your car to Florida first.  I work 6 months a year in NY and 6 months in PR so I actually have to ship my vehicle twice a year (it still ends up cheaper than a second car or a rental).  I use La Rosa Del Monte, I just drop off the vehicle in their warehouse in Toa Baja and pick it up in the Bronx, and vice versa.  They really simplify the process as they handle all the customs clearance for you.  I would highly recommend them, my family has been using La Rosa since we left the island in 83', I couldn't possibly speak more highly of them. 

and also to CurlyGirl I would highly advise against using the company you speak of to PR.  That company just puts your car on top of the boat where it will sit in the sun until it arrives in PR, La Rosa containerizes your vehicle so you wont have any weather decay.  (Metal rusts around sea water, the vehicle will travel by sea).  They actually have an office in Orlando that you would be passing while driving to Jacksonville. 

I've been traveling back and forth between PR, NY, and FL for the past 7 years at least twice a year for work, so if theres anything I can help you guys with let me know, ive become a professional traveler lol

nyrican, I think Rosa Del Monte is very similar to Puerto Rico Car Transport in that they both act as middle man between you and the actual shipping company, making the entire process easier.  They handle all forms and customs clearance on both ends of the ocean, and all the client has to do is drop off and pick up the vehicle.  I actually contacted several companies for a quote and information.  Unfortunately, Rosa Del Monte did not respond, so I had to go with someone else as time was an issue.  One of the reasons I went with PR Car Transport was because they advertised that the car would be protected from all outdoor elements and would not be on an open barge.  This was actually a huge concern of mine when I saw a picture on Crowley's website.  Hopefully my experience works out as well as yours :) (I'll post an update.)  Thanks for your input and advice.  This forum has been a lifesaver for us during our moving process.  BTW, would you be willing to post the cost of shipping with Rosa Del Monte, and how long shipping takes?

CurlyGirlPR,

it is my pleasure, I know how immensely stressful the moving process is, especially if you're a first timer.  I'm surprised that company containerizes as well I thought La Rosa and Monti Moving were the only ones. 

And I would be glad to post the cost and shipping for my moves.  Bklyn2fajardo was actually spot on (and that was over a year ago) it is around $1,200 to ship a car (If its an SUV or Minivan its slightly higher as they base their rates on the space your goods take in a container).  They actually haven't increased their rates in the 6 years I used them, which in this industry is unheard of.  And the shipping is actually pretty fast, they usually give you a 2-4 week estimate, mainly because when you ship overseas the timing really varies on the barge and how long it takes to customs clear.  But I just moved back from PR in March and it only took two weeks!  This I imagine is the exception and not the rule, as that was faster than even I had planned. 

Another piece of advice I'd give that I forgot to mention originally that is crucial.  Do your research on the moving company you use, if that company has been open less than a year that is a HUGE warning flag.  There are several companies (im not going to mention names) that have received your goods, and once it gets to Puerto Rico the company closes and reopens with a new name.  The only reason I know of this is because a friend of mine hired that company over La Rosa, obviously I gave him my recommendation, but he went with the cheaper company.  Once it arrived in PR the company had all its phone numbers shut off, he ended up having to hire La Rosa to pick it up in PR as the other company didn't even have an office on the island.  It was a horrendous experience for him but it just goes to show, paying a penny less today may cost you several hundreds tomorrow.  Always do your research I could not stress that enough.  If you see a company has been over 40+ years, you can sleep easy at night knowing any type of experience you may have they have the resolution for as they are experts.

Anyone move from the Northern Virginia area? Im told there is an "inland Port" over in Warren county. Any information on shipping household goods from Around the DC area? I have all my household in two storage rooms for 10 months now. with limited funds. Living out of 3 suitcases we brought. Fun  Fun !

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2015 … handled-el

This didn't get any ink that I saw in the PR papers but here's a container shipping company that has had some "bad luck" to put it nicely. Name of the Company is Tote, same company that operated the sunken el Faro.

Frogface, we are from NoVA too - if you end up getting a container and have extra space, I'll take it and split the cost with you :)

Suzzane1245. Hi!
Sharing a shipping container from NoVA sounds like a real plan!  our stuff is in storage , so we are flexible on the date. I would like you and my wife to talk about it. How is the best way to communicate? ill check for your reply daily> This a great idea!

You may be able to share a container with someone, but typically there is a charge to bring the container to your place (build into the cost.

If it has to be driven elsewhere to load additional stuff in it it is likely to be an additional charge. When it gets to PR you have the same issue, it needs to be driven to two different places and typically the emptying of the container needs to occur fast so they can take it.

My suggestion is to call and ask the company that you are thinking on using.

Good advice. Thanks very much my grandson has a truck & trailer in nova, and i have a truck & trailer in pr. we can coordinate to try an make it one pickup and delivery. I appreciate the advice!

Typically in the freight bus there are consolidators that do LCL (less than container load) shipping for small clients and combine the load.  The container is off-loaded and goes to a warehouse.  The container doesn't have to go back on the same ship.  I am looking to bring a car and a bunch of stuff too.  Anybody comes up with a good consolidator, I'd like to hear their experience.  The integrity of such small operators is quite variable.

Thanks, Karl

I read this entire thread. I am getting a bit overwhelmed with the shipping decisions. I have tons of the plastic containers already and I prefer them over boxes. I have some larger items that I want to keep so I am looking into the less than container load companies. I found on that does barrels but I can't get with the cylindrical shape. There will be wasted space. I don't want my things inside a barrel loose.  :/:huh:  and so it begins...but I'm ready for the ride.

Depending where you are shipping from you can even do a you pack container. They drop it at your place, once you fill it they will delivee it to your place. I quoted one last year from Texas to PR and it was over $6K for a 4.4.7 size. To is it was not worthed, we end up shipping plastic totes any major items we purchased in the island.

Also try "La Rosa del Monte" they're one of the oldest and more used to and from PR. They will charge you per item or truck load.

I used U pack, u do the work and pack what and how you like and they do the rest, had Crowly ship my Truck and boat, I did a lot of research before moving here and these two options were the best and most affordable.

I am interested in this topic for future reference for a friend.  I am looking for a company that will do the entire job, from packing up an apartment in New York to delivering and unloading in Puerto Rico.  If feasible, my friend might be interested in purchasing the container, to be left on her property here in Puerto Rico.  Any experience with this?

adlin20 wrote:

Depending where you are shipping from you can even do a you pack container. They drop it at your place, once you fill it they will delivee it to your place. I quoted one last year from Texas to PR and it was over $6K for a 4.4.7 size. To is it was not worthed, we end up shipping plastic totes any major items we purchased in the island.

Also try "La Rosa del Monte" they're one of the oldest and more used to and from PR. They will charge you per item or truck load.

$6K?? Goodness. I don't think I want to do that. I will look into La Rosa. Thank you.

Spencerazac wrote:

I used U pack, u do the work and pack what and how you like and they do the rest, had Crowly ship my Truck and boat, I did a lot of research before moving here and these two options were the best and most affordable.

Thank you! I don't really have a lot. I want to keep my bed and a vintage cabinet that I love. Those are the largest things. I have enough totes to fill a small pickup right now. I will keep eliminating things. Going through my clothes and shoes has been the hardest task so far.

Oh and my mirror!! I have this huge mirror in my closet room that I cannot leave. It's over 7ft tall. I love it i know I am going to pay big time to ship it but I'm going to risk it. I will positively insure that!

They charge by the  container and the weight so figure out how much you're going to bring then get an estimate from them you may only need one container if you pack it real tight

I completely understand the clothes/shoes dilemma! I follow the website ca2pr.com and on that site, a story was told about having to bring her most favorite shoes/boots and coats and after having moved down to PR, laughing at the fact that she had not needed and nor used any of them because the weather didn't allow for them! That always stuck with me so when trying to decide what to let go of, remember that and also remember releasing those shoes just allows new cuter models to be added to your collection! ;)  Good luck!!

Keep in mind that some of the clothes used in the mainland will not be useful in the island. Also, houses are smaller and big furniture may not fit well. Other thing to consider is the weather will affect some future since the island weather is humid and homes are open.

Yup, those expensive fur coats will not be needed in the island, light clothes and a wind jacket of two, summer dresses, lots of swim suits, sandals, just a few dress shows for special occasions, mildew is a problem with clothes and polilla / come-on will love books and common wooden furniture.

And the polilla love to eat that "import" wood in your furniture.

Thanks for the information nyrican787. I'm from Boston but currently living in Argentina and will be flying back to Boston in May 2017 to ship my car and my belonging from my mother's garage, where everything has been stored since July 2014, to Caguas. My g/f and I have recently bought a home there.

I went to their website and was happy to find they have an office in Worcester, Massachusetts and also do residential shipping. I was looking at U-Pack to ship my belongings and was planning on driving my car to Jacksonville for shipment.

I just sent an email requesting a quote. If it's reasonable compared to the cost of going the U-Pack/driving to Jacksonville route that would be great. It would make me more comfortable and probably be less hassle going with one company for both services.

This thought just entered my mind while typing this post. Perhaps I could even forgo the trip to Boston and head straight to Puerto Rico since my family could handle my affairs with La Rosa Del Monte in Massachusetts. That may be huge. Even if it is more costly to use La Rosa Del Monte for everything, the savings in airfare would negate the extra cost.

Crossing fingers!

boricanroots wrote:

I completely understand the clothes/shoes dilemma! I follow the website ca2pr.com and on that site, a story was told about having to bring her most favorite shoes/boots and coats and after having moved down to PR, laughing at the fact that she had not needed and nor used any of them because the weather didn't allow for them! That always stuck with me so when trying to decide what to let go of, remember that and also remember releasing those shoes just allows new cuter models to be added to your collection! ;)  Good luck!!

You said it, lady! I took a huge bag of boots to a friend this week. I am keeping 1 pair of my favorite booties and over the knee boots. "Home" for me is a snow state so I will shrink wrap them for my winter visits. I sew too so I am willing to let a lot of my clothes go because I can make dupes in PR friendly fabrics. I am the person in the office who is always cold so I am keeping my cardigans. Most of my jeans are outta here. I found at least 6 pair that I have never worn.  Nice donations to a foster teen. This purge process is definitely an entertaining task. :) I haven't even started on my heels and sneakers but a lot of them will be donated. I am going to get sandal shopping wasted on all my favorite sites to restore my collection back to her glory when I get there!

Thank you ADLIN20 :) I have a solid wood cabinet that I really don't want to give up. I was thinking about how it would hold up there. Maybe there is something I can have it treated with?

You sew?  There are several great fabric stores near me in Humacao.  Let me know if you want to take a tour and start building up your fabric stash here in Puerto Rico.  I sold my sewing machine before I moved to PR and purchased a Brother here at Sears.

Nice! Sounds like you have a plan and a good one at that! This is very exciting for you so good luck on the move and your new life!

I am absolutely looking forward it! :) I am keeping my old faithful but I will need a serger when I get there.

nyrican787, how did you go about contacting La Rosa? I've tried emailing their Massachusetts office and their general contact email without any response. It's been about 10 days. I'm in Argentina so contacting by phone would be quite expensive.

If anyone is interested, I just had Rosa del monte come assess what I have in storage along with a 2008 Ford Escape and here is their price which will be locked in for 90 days. My household items are from a 2-bedroom apartment. No couch but a lot of books. I'm fairly certain the worth of all of our household items is probably less than half of the cost it will take to ship them but we are doing it anyway. This is from Massachusetts to Caguas.

$7.00 per sq. foot

$5,082        household contents
     200        mattress and box spring
  1,885        SUV
     285        pick up/drop off fees

$7,452         total

Thanks for the info. I will be doing the same  with a 40 ' container. I have not measured the sq ft yet but will be doing in about a week. Did they give you and idea of the container size? I was quoted around $10,000 for a 40 container and $15,00-$17,00 for a 53' container.

Roughly you have 1000 sq feet. I guess I could find out the sq' of a 40 foot container and get a rough estimate.

Mrkpytn wrote:

Thanks for the info. I will be doing the same  with a 40 ' container. I have not measured the sq ft yet but will be doing in about a week. Did they give you and idea of the container size? I was quoted around $10,000 for a 40 container and $15,00-$17,00 for a 53' container.

No, I wasn't given an idea of the container size. Basically all the info I received is what I posted. My family is handling the situation in MA while I'm in Argentina so maybe they gave them more info when they came to inspect everything.